Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
jibanes
jibanes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Sony PRS-505 "upgrade", need 9+ inches screen.

Hello,

I have this PRS-505 which I run the notably famous custom firmware on, and I really like it, it's been my companion for many years and it's really a great reader, in my humble opinion.

The issue is not the reader, it's my eyes, which are not as good as they used to, this being said, the screen is too small, and magnifying the text is sometimes awkward, I would really prefer a larger reader, so I could maintain the full page size and this way, not interfer with the reading flow (lots of what I read are technical documents which are not proper to resizing).

As such, there's a few options available, Onyx/Icarus, Ectaco, or wait.

I need something 9+ inches, and thin, good build, with a very long battery life (I spend a lot of time in power-less places), I don't really think color would give me anything (I don't have color documents), and my budget is $500. I read mostly PDFs, but not exclusively, Wifi is a big plus, especially if it can be disabled to save battery life, audio capabilities (text-to-speed, and playing audiobooks/mp3) would be very useful, and finally, using large memory cards (32GB) would be fantastic. I have read that the Onyx has many "firmware" issues, which the PRS-505, along with the custom firmware doesn't have much of.

I would really like a screen of as high quality as the PRS-505 itself, I don't want to give up this quality, so if I have to get a color one to reach this quality, then so be it; but if not, please let me know which would work best for me.

Last edited by jibanes; 07-30-2013 at 01:03 PM.
jibanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
MathieuP
MathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 903 Pro
I think the Pocketbook 912 fits your bill. I can vouch for the good built, although a tough, large reader will not be ultralight as well.

It sports Wifi and Bluetooth (which are enabled only when you do need them), text-to-speech and mp3 support. I have no clue on the support of large SD cards.

I own the 903 myself (an older, pricier version of the same device). I use it routinely to read and annotate large PDF files (yum, 300+ pages of financial regulations).

For the record, my device fell several times, without any significant damage. It once even made the dreadef fall on a corner (and not any corner, the one with the stylus holder), and came out of it unscathed.

Software quality will be another issue, though. PB offer will be less slick and professional-looking than Sony's, but benefits from powerful user-contributed apps (you can find examples in this forum, such as Coolreader or mupdfviewer). If you are ready to tolerate some glitches against added versatility, this should be OK.

My take is that, in fact, your choice is down to the PB 912 or its Onyx equivalent, since battery life means tablets are out of the picture. And I think the PB 912 is a sturdier device than the Onyx.
MathieuP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
apos
Zealot
apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: 623 Touch Lux, 912 Pro (selled), Surfpad 4 L, Waiting for CAD-Reader !
Older thread. But I would definitely wait for the CAD-reader.
Th PB 912 is a very slow device (only 500 MHz) and the display techique is one of the older ones (first generation Vizplex) which means you will need strong lightning and will have problems with contrast, if the text ist colored! Every actual model (e.g. Touch Lux) ist better than this display!

The make it clear - the PB 912 was on top when released and one of the first ones out there. But would not buy it now any more at this time.

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/de/pro...ook-cad-reader

Cheers

Last edited by apos; 01-01-2014 at 06:39 PM.
apos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
jibanes
jibanes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Onyx

I got the Onyx and I really like it.
jibanes is offline   Reply With Quote