Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #76
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
I'm sorry about that link violation in my last post. It was a user manual I found that illustrated the memory cards, which impressed me.

Anyway, I got a 650 and put the PR+ on there. Wow, what a difference. It might be my imagination, but paging is faster and fonts seem a little smoother, too.

Thanks for the thread, I got myself a nice little ereader for a couple 'a more years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Actually one of the things I really like about them is that they don't have wi-fi access--don't have to worry about "big brother" collecting information about my reading habits and purchases. Also don't have to worry about unexpected updates being sent to my system messing up my settings.

I do have PRS+ installed on both of my readers and I agree with Ripplinger--nothing comparable so far as far as customization.
Oh, I hear you. I was looking hard at the TRS-1 or the 2 for the Android OS, open source and all that. But the wifi is already absent, the thing is already customizable, and I like the device better than what I played with at BB. I see what people are talking about.

Last edited by Yamada; 05-08-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #77
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Grats on your 650! Be sure to check out adding your own fonts if you want, also that you can adjust the brightness and saturation of the font which alone improves readability.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #78
HardwareLust
HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Color/Tablet, Kobo Aura HD/Mini, Kindle Paperwhite
I just recently got a Kobo Aura HD. After being disappointed with it almost immediately, I went and pulled out my PRS-950, and I now realize what a great device it was. After I send the Aura HD back, I might just stick with the PRS-950 until something better/similar comes along.
HardwareLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #79
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
What disappointed you about it? I've yet to see one personally, but from what I've read online the first impressions of it seem to be good?

Edited to add: It's ok I've read your post in the Kobo forum now (it's laggy, the screen is unresponsive, and the screen contrast with the light off isn't all that great). Sounds like you ended up with a defective unit rather than the Aura itself being poor?

For those who like the bigger screen, at least with Kobo releasing the Aura it raises the possibility that the likes of Sony & Amazon might follow suit.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 05-09-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Update
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #80
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've had the Kobo Glo for about 1.5 months now and I've been using it just about 100% of the time trying to force myself to get used to it and like it. Today I picked up my 350 and it still just blows the Kobo anything away... the size, the wonderfully responsive touch screen with a minimal thumb movement, even the smooth feel of the glass.

The light on the Kobo Glo is great, it's even, no dark cones at the bottom, no color blotches at all. But for everything else, it just doesn't compare to the x50 line of readers. The most maddening thing to me about it is how unresponsive the touch screen is, it takes me up to 4 tries to turn a page and that's not a rare occurrence. Even if it should turn the page on the first swipe, it's still slower than the 350 because of the slight delay it purposely added to prevent multiple pages from being flipped at once.

I'll use the Glo when I need a light when reading at night, but the rest of the time, the 350 is still my reader of choice.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #81
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
While I find the Aura to be far more responsive than the 350, the experience of using it is not tailored to the act of thoughtful reading. The dictionaries are provisional and don't allow you to look up alternate spellings easily; the note-taking function leaves out handwriting entirely; and the database search defaults to the Kobo store continually instead of one's own library. For day-to-day pocket reading, the 350 is often superior despite its age.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-03-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #82
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
Anyway, I got a 650 and put the PR+ on there. Wow, what a difference. It might be my imagination, but paging is faster and fonts seem a little smoother, too.
Really? This is working fine? I've never tried since I read somewhere around here that PRS+ was only for the western devices and I didn't want to brick my beloved 650
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #83
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Really? This is working fine? I've never tried since I read somewhere around here that PRS+ was only for the western devices and I didn't want to brick my beloved 650
I bought mine off Amazon in America. But yeah, it's working pretty good so far. Granted, I know it's life span will be questionable, and they are pretty scarce in America, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I'm not aware of the differences between "Western" 650s and those released in say, Japan or somewhere else India. Though, if it were me, and I read the same thing, I'd be hesitant about modding my non-US 650, too
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #84
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
I bought mine off Amazon in America. But yeah, it's working pretty good so far. Granted, I know it's life span will be questionable, and they are pretty scarce in America, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I'm not aware of the differences between "Western" 650s and those released in say, Japan or somewhere else India. Though, if it were me, and I read the same thing, I'd be hesitant about modding my non-US 650, too
Can you choose to display the menu in English or Japanese (only)? Anyway, it seems yours is a Western firmware. That's great if PRS+ is working very well for you
I'll stick with the stock firmware on mine since I have no complaints: if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Not all of the 650 have a short life. Many people here are still using one as a primary ereader.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:44 AM   #85
Yamada
Enthusiast

Quote:
Can you choose to display the menu in English or Japanese (only)? Anyway, it seems yours is a Western firmware. That's great if PRS+ is working very well for you
You sure can, plus many other languages (including Russian, which I gather inspired PR+).

Quote:
I'll stick with the stock firmware on mine since I have no complaints: if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Not all of the 650 have a short life. Many people here are still using one as a primary ereader.
Thing is, I bought mine used off Amazon, and for once the unit was actually in better condition than the Market Place description said. It indicated light scratches in the screen, case, etc. but the screen was fine and the case was a little dinged, but that was it.

The reviews for the 650 were pretty middling to fair when it came out, but Sony really did put a nice ereader. I wouldn't be afraid to use it for another couple of years.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #86
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
That's brilliant when it's better than advertised. Happens to me every so often but rarely so happy for you. I agree with your assessment of the prs650. It's a pretty stellar reader, especially for those who love really well made metal products which are still light. The move to plastic, although necessary, takes away from premier hardware i feel. I've had great battery life and am a big fan of the control that the prs+ update gives a reader. I know with different authors/subject material, i like different fonts, font weights and color contrast control. I also very much appreciate the margin to edge option. The kinds of options you just can't get on a kindle. Not having wifi is a non issue for me cause I use calibre and carry my entire library with an 8gb sd card.

Nice prs 650's occasionally pop up on ebay too. I recently did a side by side of the prs 600 and is definitely an inferior product. Curious of people's thoughts on the t1.i don't like the length of it/plastic build, as an initial thought.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #87
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Speaking to the longevity of the 650s...I've had one since right after they first came out--almost three years ago. Still use it almost every day. I bought a refurbished 350 a little over a year ago when Sony was selling them cheap. I really don't know which one I use more--both are still going strong. I'm in no hurry to replace them, although I sometimes think a lighted reader would be nice. I do have the lighted cases for each of my readers and that works for now. Note--I have applied PRS+ to both of the readers--and wouldn't want to live without that either!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #88
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I own two 350s and recently lent one to my grillfiend's mother. For no good reason (and despite owning several other readers), I'm actually missing the second 350.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #89
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
The 350 is a few years old and puts that new kobo 5" to utter shame. With the prs+, even more so. Indeed.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #90
MAT160
Enthusiast
MAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS-600
I agree, I really love my "350" (I have 2 of them, bought the second one as a back up) and I use it everyday. It's perfect for my needs as, it fits into all my bags, into a pocket and is light and comfortable to hold.

I also have an iPad but, I don't like reading on it (tried it on 2 occasions).

I will buy a 3rd. "350" if I have to!
MAT160 is offline   Reply With Quote