Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@yifanlu: I guess you can extract the latest default kernel from the official update file, if you haven't got a backup.

As for the packer, the shell script don't need to have a specific name, AFAICT, the update tool run *every* sh file in the binfile, sequentially (ie. 0000-patches.sh, then 5555-kernel.sh).

@zetareticuli: Also, unless you're using a custom SIM, that would, again, break Amazon's terms, because you're hijacking the 3G connexion. And, btw, you don't need to touch the kernel to do 'virtual' (userland) mounts, Fuse is installed (and used by Amazon).
I know it is not in the Kernel. I just mentioned what I would like to do when I get to do some programming for the Kindle and I went off topic.

How hard do you think it would be to modify or create a PDF viewer that works on the Kindle?

Going back to Kernel, do you know if the hardware supports WiFi?
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
1/ No idea, not a java programmer, sorry .

2/ Like yifanlu already said, no, there's no WiFi module. The kernel doesn't really have anything to do with non-existent hardware .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-26-2010 at 03:08 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #18
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Thanks. Again, I don't know anything about Kindle hardware. I am just asking questions. If the hardware supports it, you can compile a kernel that works with the hardware. If the hardware is not there, then you cannot do it. Many embedded cellular adapters include a low cost WiFi chip, that is why I was wondering.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That said, it may be possible to modify the hardware to add a WiFi module, like some people did on a DX with a BlueTooth module.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #20
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
I know it is not in the Kernel. I just mentioned what I would like to do when I get to do some programming for the Kindle and I went off topic.

How hard do you think it would be to modify or create a PDF viewer that works on the Kindle?

Going back to Kernel, do you know if the hardware supports WiFi?
I decompiled the Java sources for the kindle. In theory, it's possible to replace the PDF viewer. However, it'll be REALLY hard. Amazon obfuscated all the sources (because they know java is easily decompilable), so there's no class names, no function names, and no variable names (all a, b, c, etc). So it'll be hard to reverse engineer and find what to replace.

WiFi: Again, in THEORY, it should work. What you need is either 1) Mini PCI-e wifi adapter and replace the 3G card with it and add the drivers into the kernel, or 2) Find a way to get USB access (Kindle supports USB, but the only port I can find is the one on the bottom which needs some port converting).
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry for the double post, but:

I GOT IT WORKING!

uname -a = "Linux kindle 2.6.22.19-lab126 #4 PREEMPT Mon Jul 26 13:26:27 UTC 2010 armv6l unknown" See Jul 26, the compile date, that's today.

Everything works, all modules loaded. I'm going to do a big writeup later on getting everything to work.

Currently, as a test, my kernel has support for IPv6, and it works correctly. Now that I know everything works, I'm going to start digging deeper.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #22
zetareticuli
Addict

This is a HUGE step forward. I can't wait to get my Kindle so that I can join you in development efforts. A very nice effort, yifanlu.

Also, I wanted to mention that in an earlier post, I talked about a virtual SD card. What I meant was a storage space on the Kindle that is read from Web folders or FTP site. In this way, you don't need to use the local storage on the Kindle. You can save the books that you don't use often to the virtual storage space.

Bummer about the Java being obfuscated. What about writing a Java PDF viewer and installing on the Kindle. It would probably be easier to write a new PDF viewer than it is to modify the existing one.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #23
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Ok, here's a link to the post I made on everything from setting up to installing the kernel: http://www.yifanlu.com/2010/07/26/ha...ng-the-kernel/

I've included explanations for everything. You're welcome.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Thanks again, yifanlu .

EDIT: It's flashed twice because there's two kernels installed at all time. It's used when updating the kernel during the official update process. The update tool switch to the 'update' kernel, flashes the default kernel, switch the new default kernel, and flashes the 'update' kernel. Or something like that.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-26-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #25
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Just curious, is there more then one USB port on the kindle? If not, the only way to add wifi is either 1) remove 3G modem, or 2) make a dongle hanging off the bottom.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #26
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
Is there probably a combo minipcie card that has 3G and wifi?
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #27
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer2k View Post
Is there probably a combo minipcie card that has 3G and wifi?
That would be nice. If you can find such a card, I can compile a kernel supporting it.

The closest I can find is a WiMax/WiFi duel card (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_...WiFi_Link_5350), no EVDO or GSM and WiFi.

Last edited by yifanlu; 07-28-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #28
zetareticuli
Addict

I might be able to build one. I just need to have the Kindle in my hands and look at the size of it, look at the real estate I have to work with, etc. Unless someone can provide me with this information with detailed diagrams.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #29
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Anyone knows if you're able to use one of these adapters: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Techgroup-.../dp/B002MZRKRW

And plug a USB device into the Kindle? In other words, does the USB port that comes out of the Kindle support host mode (I know the one one the PCI-e mini does).
Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #30
zetareticuli
Addict

I am not sure. However, this post (old) in this same forum suggests that it is supported in host mode for both the onboard and the mini card

http://67.205.70.12/forums/showthread.php?t=19557

This is referring to the previous Kindle models but it might be the same for this one.