Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
Wapata
Enthusiast
Wapata began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Post Jules Verne - Priorities reading.

Hello !
As Stephen King doesn't have any E-Book to offer, I wish read Jules Verne's book. It's something I've promise to me to read since years and years !
I find his books here: Project Gutenberg and, in french.
But well, what do I have to read in prioritise from Jules Verne ?!
Not "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" because I've see a movie about the storie (and also "Nadia and the secret of Blue Water" ) and I don't like to read with picture of movies in my head.

I wish discover the power of Vern to explain the futur, the mechanismes and all of things like that.
Can you help me to find the titles who have to be read ?

Thank's !

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Puisque Stephen King n'offre pas d'E-Book, je voudrais me mettre à lire des oeuvres de Jules Verne. C'est une chose que je m'étais promise depuis des années et des années? J'ai trouvé ses bouquins ici: Projet Gutenberg et en français.
Mais bon, que dois je lire en priorité de Jules Verne ?! Pas "20000 Lieues Sous Les Mers" car j'ai vu un film sur ce titre (et aussi "Nadia et le secret de l'Eau Bleue" ) et je n'aime pas avoir des images de film en tête lorsque je lis un livre.

Je voudrais découvrir la puissance de Jules pour décrire le futur, les mécanismes et tout les trucs dans le genre.
Pouvez vous m'aider à trouver les titres que je dois lire ?

Merci !

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-25-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Add traduction ---- [Thread Title correction - Moderator]
Wapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Jules Verne Books - Mobileread Library ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I have always have a weakness for Michel Strogoff, because there are women, and an element of romance, in it. I read recently that it was approved by the Russian authorities before being released in honor of the Tsar's visit in Paris

Another book by Jules Verne with some element of romance is Le château des Carpathes, but I don't know if it's available as an e-book. It's not a very well-known book.

Slightly off-topic, do you know Forrest's comic book (BD) version of L'île mystérieuse ? It's one of my favorite albums. I still remember reading it in Pif Gadget, but apparently they never published the last episode (I think I vaguely remember feeling some frustration or at least confusion about that).
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapata View Post

I wish discover the power of Vern to explain the futur, the mechanismes and all of things like that.
Can you help me to find the titles who have to be read ?

Thank's !
Oops, I guess my reply completely missed your question, sorry
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
Wapata
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Another book by Jules Verne with some element of romance is Le château des Carpathes, but I don't know if it's available as an e-book. It's not a very well-known book.
Here it is:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5082

Mais finalement, J'aurais peut être du écrire mon premier message en anglais ET en français. C'est sans doutes ce qu'il y a de plus pratique pour que l'on se comprenne plus facilement...
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Jules Verne is also at feedbooks.com en français.

Les auteurs francophones membres de MR(sur feedbooks)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
When I was a boy I loved all his books. The most treasured was this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Search_of_the_Castaways
This one is not about predicting the future and contains very few science fiction elements, but it is absolutely great adventure story.
I can't wait until my daughter is big enough to appreciate this story, so I can read it to her from my very old, tattered copy with beautiful woodcut (metalcut?) illustrations. I have inherited this one from my father. It used to be his favorite book ;-)

you should also read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Years%27_Vacation
and ...
All the books you find here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...desc&forumid=0
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
... my very old, tattered copy with beautiful woodcut (metalcut?) illustrations.
What version is that? (publisher, year?)

That sounds like it would make a wonderful illustrated epub!

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
What version is that? (publisher, year?)
Non-english version.
I have just found out that it is translated and shortened text from the 1930 french publication.
It was published in 1954

The illustrations are not metalcut (or woodcut). I must have confused the illustrations type with the illustrations from "Two years vacation", another treasured book.

The illustrations were made by Zdeněk Michael František Burian
You can see some examples of his work here:
http://zdenekburian.websnadno.cz/
Old 06-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
When I was a boy I loved all his books. The most treasured was this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Search_of_the_Castaways
This one is not about predicting the future and contains very few science fiction elements, but it is absolutely great adventure story.
I suspect that many people don't realise that the majority of Verne's books were in fact "travel adventures" and not SF at all. I share your love of "In Search of the Castaways". I posted a version of it here to MR not too long ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
Wapata
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect that many people don't realise that the majority of Verne's books were in fact "travel adventures" and not SF at all.
That's why i want to read Jules Verne. And that's also why I request is SF books to read before the others.

But maybe it's not "SF" but just "non scientifical" adventures... Like his travel to the center of the earth. It's not "just" adventures, but did it's really "SF" ?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
But maybe it's not "SF" but just "non scientifical" adventures... Like his travel to the center of the earth. It's not "just" adventures, but did it's really "SF" ?
Even the "Just an adventure" - "In search of Castaways", which I have read under the name "Capitains' Grants children" ;-) is full of information about just about anything. From geography, navigation skills, biology, marine technology, various society info (relevant to the time period) ...
What makes those books very valuable is that author dumps lots of facts on readers, without you realizing that ;-)

The Wikipedia has this to say about Vernes' Voyages Extraordinaires
Quote:
Verne's meticulous attention to detail and scientific trivia, coupled with his sense of wonder and exploration, form the backbone of the Voyages Extraordinaires. Part of the reason for the broad appeal of his work was the sense that the reader could really learn something of geology, biology, astronomy, paleontology, oceanography and the exotic locations and cultures of world through the adventures of Verne's protagonists. This great wealth of information distinguished his works as "encyclopedic novels".
There are Verne books that I did not enjoy THAT much. From the most famous ones: North Against South, Michael Strogoff, Off on a Comet,
Old 06-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
Wapata
Enthusiast

I hope that all he said is true... Because we learn it !
Old 06-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Not "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" because I've see a movie about the storie ... and I don't like to read with picture of movies in my head.
If you avoid reading a book just because you've seen the movie, you're going to miss a lot of excellent books.

I do know what you mean about the "pictures in the the head". I like to wait a while (preferably several months) between seeing a movie and reading the book. Better still, I prefer to read the book first. But I won't discard a book just because I've seen the movie.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I read quite a few books by jules verne as a kid.
Here some I liked:

Hector Servadac 1877 (Off on a Comet)
Robur-le-Conquérant 1886 (Robur the Conqueror)
Voyage au centre de la Terre 1864 (A Journey to the Center of the Earth)

I picked the ones that I consider to be more science fiction. Also movie or not, you should also read 20000 leagues under the sea.

Just my 2cents
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote