Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Brazos_Jack
Enthusiast
Brazos_Jack began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
Best free software to read .prc on PC?

What is the best free software to read .prc files on a PC running Windows XT?

These are free out-of copywright books. No passwords or locks involved.

I've been downloading books from places like ManyBooks.net in anticipation of getting a Cybook very soon and I would like to be able to view them on a PC in the mean time.

Last edited by Brazos_Jack; 07-14-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: change notification
Brazos_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'll have to be more specific about what format you're talking about. A "PRC" file is just a "container" (like a ZIP file) and can contain any type of data at all.

If these are MobiPocket format books (MobiPocket can use a "PRC" file extension), then the Windows MobiPocket Reader is very good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For MobiPocket books, Windows Mobipocket Reader is a good choice, but it makes a copy of all your ebooks in its primary directory (My eBooks\Mobipocket). It can also import some other formats and convert them to MOBI for you.

Two alternatives are FBReader (Open Source) and uBook (trial version is free).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:32 AM   #4
Brazos_Jack
Enthusiast
Brazos_Jack began at the beginning.

Device: Palm
Thanks Wallcraft,

I downloaded both the Windows Mobipocket Reader the the Mobipocket Creator last night. They seem to work fine. I've only been able to convert TXT files though. I tried one MSWord file and it failed so I just "Saved AS" to TXT and then used the Creator.
Brazos_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack View Post
I tried one MSWord file and it failed so I just "Saved AS" to TXT and then used the Creator.
You need Word installed to convert .doc files in Creator. Saving as HTML (e.g. in OpenOffice) may be better than TXT. All Creator does, apparently, is use Word's save as html and then imports the HTML.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack View Post
Thanks Wallcraft,

I downloaded both the Windows Mobipocket Reader the the Mobipocket Creator last night. They seem to work fine. I've only been able to convert TXT files though. I tried one MSWord file and it failed so I just "Saved AS" to TXT and then used the Creator.
I've found - for myself at least - that Word HTML files work just fine with Creator.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
You need Word installed to convert .doc files in Creator. Saving as HTML (e.g. in OpenOffice) may be better than TXT. All Creator does, apparently, is use Word's save as html and then imports the HTML.
Mobi rips input files to HTML in the first place, and uses that as source to build a Mobi file.

You can import plain text, but you lose fonts, text attributes, images, links and the like.

Mobi also imports RTF files if Word is installed. When you browse to the directory where the file you want is located, it looks for .doc files by default, but if you change that to "All files" and select an RTF file, it works fine.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 07-19-2008 at 10:59 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Even though it's only the trial that's free-- uBook is incredible. Best reader I've ever seen and I wish it were ported to everything.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
uBook isn't very good for MobiPocket books - internal hyperlinks (footnotes, TOC, etc) within the book don't work, and you don't see page breaks.

For other types of file it works very well indeed, but Mobi Reader is, I think, a heck of a lot better for Mobi files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
I'm suprised no one has mentioned FBReader. It does a fine job with DRM-free .mobi/.prc files.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I'm suprised no one has mentioned FBReader. It does a fine job with DRM-free .mobi/.prc files.
Someone has - see post #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Two alternatives are FBReader (Open Source) and uBook (trial version is free).
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote