Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
iPod Touch 4th Gen Battery Life

I was just wondering what the experience 4th gen owners are having with battery life. Now that I am in the market (unexpectedly and much to my chagrin) for a new iTouch, I've been looking at the reviews on Amazon and it seems a lot of people are complaining the battery life is horrible. Losing a full charge in one day or less even when not in use. I know the wi-fi drains the battery and I only turn it off if I'm reading because when I'm not reading, I usually am using the email or internet and don't want to keep turning it on and off.

What is your experience with the battery life on the 4th gen compared to previous gen?
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Seems much better than the 2nd gen I have.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
The battery life is about the same as my old 2nd gen, but it won't charge from a Windows USB port like my 2nd gen did.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I think it is less than my 2nd gen touch, but maybe it depends on what you are doing. For book reading it seems the same, but you start playing a game and the battery is dead in no time. Much faster than the 2nd Gen for me.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm..interesting. I had a 3rd gen so not sure if that is any different than the 2nd gen. So far, it doesn't sound like it is much different.

@NNolan - you mean the USB that you hook up to that brings up Itunes? How do you charge it?
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have nothing to compare it to directly, but probably the main issue I have with my new iPT4G has to do with power management, or at least my own understanding of it. What I've learned:
- turn off wifi when you don't need it
- shut down apps when you are done using them
- power down if you aren't using it for awhile

The thing could use some power 'profiles' - for example, why, if it is USB connected/powered, does the screensaver kick in? You have to constantly 'feed' it with input, or the screensaver kicks in and you have to 'unlock'. Multitasking is great sometimes, but it would be nice if you could disable it to possibly save some CPU cycles (sure, what if I don't want Pandora to play in the background etc.). Wifi should automatically turn off when nothing is using it (or should be an option etc.), and you should be able to wake it up without having to go to settings and crawl your way back to the app that needed it. Why can't I toggle wifi on/off by touching the icon in iPod status bar? That sort of thing. It could be better/more usable/intelligent, and I guess I had assumed that it would be, and am surprised it is not.

That said, I'm getting used to it, and otherwise like it very much, but look forward to the day when battery charge lasts a couple of days on a device like this.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
The battery life is about the same as my old 2nd gen, but it won't charge from a Windows USB port like my 2nd gen did.
Mine charges just fine with my windows USB.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
@NNolan - you mean the USB that you hook up to that brings up Itunes? How do you charge it?
It will charge from a USB port on my MacBook, or from AC. I've got a Maxell wall plug for USB that works great for everything.

Quote:
Mine charges just fine with my windows USB.
Some do, some don't; there are complaints about this that go back to the first iPod Touch. Mine is one that doesn't, but as long as the Maxell wall plug works there's no point in going through the hassle of trying to exchange it for one that will charge from my Windows laptop.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
star
star began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, sony 350
Mine actually seems to last longer than my. In fact, it is noticeable. I use it mainly for audio. If you look at the official specs, it seems like the battery life is technically better. But that's just my own experience.
star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I mainly use my Touch for games so the battery life has never been all that great. Maybe 2 hours but it does recharge very fast. With my 2G I can leave it in standby with wifi enabled and the battery doesn't drain. My new 4G will lose almost half its battery overnight if I leave wifi on. I switch to airplane mode the battery doesn't drain. I've learned to deal with it that way.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
mish
Addict

Would be nice if they made it easier to toggle the wifi on and off since it is such a drain on the battery.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Mine charges fine via Windows USB.

I dunno what battery life is, because I rarely use wi-fi and I have yet to run down the battery. I just charge nightly. I use mine only to read books and listen to music. I got it in addition to an iPhone 4, so I can read without worrying about running down my phone battery.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
What sort of battery life do people get with just reading ebooks? 10-12 hours? Less? More?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
What sort of battery life do people get with just reading ebooks? 10-12 hours? Less? More?
Not sure. I read without tracking and charge nightly. I read 1.5 books yesterday and still had juice when I powered off for the night. I was listening to music, too.

Haven't drained my Touch yet. I don't use wi-fi, play games or watch videos on it, which I'm guessing takes much more juice. (I use wi-fi to load books, though.)
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote