Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #151
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
My slow reading drives me crazy.
Take an Evelyn Wood reading course. http://www.ewrd.com/ewrd/index.asp, or search for an e-book on speed-reading.

Speed-reading is a skill that is easily practiced, and it works very well. I used a book years ago, practiced for a few weeks, and got my rate up to 1100 wpm on newspaper material with excellent comprehension.

It's a skill that serves one particularly well in higher education - should be mandatory for students, IMHO.

Last edited by EldRick; 10-04-2012 at 03:59 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #152
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Take an Evelyn Wood reading course. http://www.ewrd.com/ewrd/index.asp, or search for an e-book on speed-reading.

Speed-reading is a skill that is easily practiced, and it works very well. I used a book years ago, practiced for a couple of weeks, and got my rate up to 1100 wpm on newspaper material with excellent comprehension.

It's a skill that serves one particularly well in higher education - should be mandatory for students, IMHO.
Thanks EldRick! I do know about SpeedReading and I have read 3/4 of a book on SpeedReading by Tony Buzan... and I have tried to practice but I don't seem to get the hang of it. Every time I "slide" my eyes over a line to practice picking up multiple words I just start thinking about something completely different and forget to try and absorb the words.

I haven't heard of Evelyn Wood though, I'll check it out, thanks!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #153
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Just opened my Glo and the lighted screen is really nice. The lighting is totally even save a brighter bar along the top. In the flourescent lights of the office, I would call it bluish. I'll evaluate in the dark at home.

I placed an ePub in the root directory via Windows Explorer but my library is still empty after powering off and on again. Is there a trick to get the book into the library?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #154
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Just opened my Glo and the lighted screen is really nice. The lighting is totally even save a brighter bar along the top. In the flourescent lights of the office, I would call it bluish. I'll evaluate in the dark at home.

I placed an ePub in the root directory via Windows Explorer but my library is still empty after powering off and on again. Is there a trick to get the book into the library?
That should have worked, unless they changed something in the Glo compared to the Touch, but I doubt it. Did you safely remove hardware / eject the device?

The way it should work is: connect ereader to PC with USB cable, treat ereader as a USB stick and drop your ebook onto it, safely remove hardware, then unplug the USB cable, then the ereader should automatically restart and process new content.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #155
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Up the font size so you can read page from Kobo as fast as you can turn a page. This should help your learning to speed read. 2nd part is having someone make up tests to gage reading comprehension. No point reading faster than your comprehension is logical but must push reading speed higher with lower comprehension which will improve with practice. Must practice speed reading every day until it is natural way to read. You can always go back to reading slower.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #156
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Up the font size so you can read page from Kobo as fast as you can turn a page. This should help your learning to speed read. 2nd part is having someone make up tests to gage reading comprehension. No point reading faster than your comprehension is logical but must push reading speed higher with lower comprehension which will improve with practice. Must practice speed reading every day until it is natural way to read. You can always go back to reading slower.
Thanks filmo! What an exciting experiment to read as fast as I can turn a page with huge letters! Haha! I'll definitely try it.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #157
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
[ot]
A word of caution:
It's also worth mentioning that, as far as I remember, the whole speed-reading concept is in a bit of a grey area still. That is: you might exercise for a skill which does not exist.
If I'm not mistaken, there are those who swear by it and those who say it's just another way to sell you something, check the wikipedia page before diving in, and decide whether you're willing to invest your time and money in something like this.
[/ot]
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #158
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
[ot]
A word of caution:
It's also worth mentioning that, as far as I remember, the whole speed-reading concept is in a bit of a grey area still. That is: you might exercise for a skill which does not exist.
If I'm not mistaken, there are those who swear by it and those who say it's just another way to sell you something, check the wikipedia page before diving in, and decide whether you're willing to invest your time and money in something like this.
[/ot]
Thanks sombreastre. Good to know
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #159
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid View Post
Yes, you can use the icon that looks like two arrows <->
It lets you slide the bar to make navigation quicker.
Does it show the pages move as you move the slider? Or do you move the slider, and then the page changes?
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #160
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
That should have worked, unless they changed something in the Glo compared to the Touch, but I doubt it. Did you safely remove hardware / eject the device?

The way it should work is: connect ereader to PC with USB cable, treat ereader as a USB stick and drop your ebook onto it, safely remove hardware, then unplug the USB cable, then the ereader should automatically restart and process new content.
You could also try syncing your Glo, which should clean up the database (nicely explained by davidfor here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...php?t=192739#7)
Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #161
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
It's very important to properly eject / disconnect the device before unplugging it from the computer, it 'should' process content automatically after you properly disconnect it from the computer.

I don't know if it's still an issue, but I did have the odd problem on the touch with unusual characters in file names.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #162
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

Have you gone through the setup & registration steps?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #163
AndyBurns
AndyBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo & Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The higher resolution screen on the Glo makes a difference in terms of clarity. It seems like there is less ghosting and I could go more than 6 pages before a refresh if that were an option.

I turned the black bar off--and chose clear instead. There is a narrow shadow at the bottom of the screen, but it does not bother me.
I popped into WHSmiths to have a look at the Glo tonight (not really expecting to upgrade from the touch, unless it really impressed me).

The black bar at the bottom looked ugly to me, can't see the need for it to be there, the thing that did seem annoying was ghosting of the brightness slider/book title/progress on the black bar, it seemed very reluctant to do a full refresh of the bottom bar (I know you can turn it to clear instead of black).

The text seemed a little spidery compared to what I'm used to, I tried to adjust them in the advanced settings and got them a bit better.

All in all, for a 5 minute quick look it didn't really grab me, and (as expected) I walked out without being tempted.

Just trying a manual load of 2.1.4 onto my 2.1.1 KT now ..
AndyBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #164
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
A word of caution:
When I was in University I participated in a study on speed reading, I have always read and always read fast, we determined that I more or less "absorb" the whole page at once, take a bit to process it then go to the next page (which is why an ereader with less to a page slows me down), some people used what I think is the classic speed reading (sort of down the middle of the page bringing in key words) and some people simply couldn't. I think you almost need to have a brain wired a certain way for it to work, one company I worked for sent their execs to a course with very mixed results.

On 'decent' material I could push 1600 wpm with good comprehension, but usually closer to 1200, but that was years ago. Nowdays I figure I'm probably in the 500 range, the mind and eyes are going, annoying to pick up a book I read 40 years ago and find it almost unreadable because they used such a tiny font.

Yet another reason for an eReader, you can keep upping the font size, of course one word per line would make for REALLY slow reading.

I'm finding the glo much easier on my eyes than the touch, even in a lighted room, the backlight makes for easier reading (or is that frontlight, sidelight?)
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #165
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I agree the black bar is ugly. It just looks so out of place, and makes the screen look smaller in my opinion. I'm using the clear bar now, despite the shadows being created. I've gotten pretty used to it and, for me, is the better option.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote