Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Onyx Boox M92 vs. Ectaco Jetbook vs. Pocketbook 912

I have an iRex DR800, I'm quite happy with it, but I'm considering to get something with bigger screen for academic reading (DR800 in landscape mode almost does the job). I'm also reading fiction and found DR800 great for that, but I finally decided to leave DR800 to my parents and buy myself a new one.

So which one do you think it's suitable for academic reading and some fiction also? The ability to install FBReader and Xournal is a plus. From what I've been following on the forums, Onyx Boox M92 (please note that it's not M90 which is extremely buggy) would be a better choice than PB 912, considering its Pearl screen. Ectaco Jetbook is also out soon, so would that be a better choice than M92?
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I see you have gotten no response yet, catharsis!

I am researching large-screen ereaders for my husband, so I'm hoping you/we will get an answer or two! My DH wants something lighter in weight than the enTourage eDGe I have but with as large an eink screen (9.7"), preferably Pearl, and wi-fi (so Kindle DX is out) for fiction reading.

Anybody want to weigh in??
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Don't know much about the M92 or the pocketbook, but I do know a little about the Etaco Jetbook. From what people have told me about the jetbook is that it excels at being able to read almost any format of electronic book that you will ever come across.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
I have an iRex DR800, I'm quite happy with it, but I'm considering to get something with bigger screen for academic reading (DR800 in landscape mode almost does the job). I'm also reading fiction and found DR800 great for that, but I finally decided to leave DR800 to my parents and buy myself a new one.

So which one do you think it's suitable for academic reading and some fiction also? The ability to install FBReader and Xournal is a plus. From what I've been following on the forums, Onyx Boox M92 (please note that it's not M90 which is extremely buggy) would be a better choice than PB 912, considering its Pearl screen. Ectaco Jetbook is also out soon, so would that be a better choice than M92?
Hi Catharsis, I have a PB903 and I am very happy with it, but obviously I've voted with my fee, so I am partial. I'd strongly encourage you to have a look at teh very good series of video comparisons by jsbach - there he compares te M92 to the PB903, and considering that the PB912 is a 903 without 3G, that should be a good starting point for you. He also has other stuff here:
http://baach.de/lost-thoughts
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
I finally decided to get an Onyx Boox M92. I have been following for a while the Onyx and Poketbook forums, I read a lot of you posts Paola , and what I understood is that there were problems in the past with firmware for Pocketbook. From what I read on the Boox forum, I was convinced to get M92, although I might regret I did not get an Ectaco.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Hi Catharsis, I have a PB903 and I am very happy with it, but obviously I've voted with my fee, so I am partial. I'd strongly encourage you to have a look at teh very good series of video comparisons by jsbach - there he compares te M92 to the PB903, and considering that the PB912 is a 903 without 3G, that should be a good starting point for you. He also has other stuff here:
http://baach.de/lost-thoughts
This guy certainly put a lot of effort into producing these videos.
On the surface this looks like a thorough test, but what is missing are the negative aspects - and there are plenty. Why he didn't bother to mentione these:who knows?
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
I finally decided to get an Onyx Boox M92. I have been following for a while the Onyx and Poketbook forums, I read a lot of you posts Paola , and what I understood is that there were problems in the past with firmware for Pocketbook. From what I read on the Boox forum, I was convinced to get M92, although I might regret I did not get an Ectaco.
The Ectaco does not seem to be available so far. On paper it seems the superior product - color screen,software especially.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
The Ectaco does not seem to be available so far. On paper it seems the superior product - color screen,software especially.
The jetBook Colors are finally starting to arrive. See LuBiB's post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167587

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
The jetBook Colors are finally starting to arrive. See LuBiB's post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167587

Andrew
Good to know ...
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
On the surface this looks like a thorough test, but what is missing are the negative aspects - and there are plenty. Why he didn't bother to mentione these:who knows?
Since you own one, why don't you bother to mention those? And point to devices where it is done better?
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Jetbook color is better is you really need that colors (which are still far from be good). Otherwise it has 800x600 resolution and too big pixels (as for me)... So Onyx boox m92 is better.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
Since you own one, why don't you bother to mention those? And point to devices where it is done better?
I don't want to repeat things that have been mentioned over and over again in this forum.
This is a developing segment of the market - you simply do not get what you want/need - so one has to wait. Maybe Ectaco does the trick ...
Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Digital Readers
Shop-guy
Digital Readers began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 912/612/611, Onyx Boox M92, Amazon Kindle, Sony, Icarus
Quote:
If you stumble upon software glitches or not often depends on the use cases and the documents you load into the eReader. Not every bug appears for every user. Some people have two crashes a day, some have only one in months though using exactly the same model. I experienced that as a dealer for eReaders having used dozens of devices myself. That might be one reason why his videos are in a positive tone.
Of course also the Boox M92 still has some issues but as I follow Onyx since years they are at least slowly but steadily improving their software for their current devices. I will also produce some videos on the Onyx Boox M92 (german only, sorry) so if someone wants to see some more info & comparison just click through.
Digital Readers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Otherwise it has 800x600 resolution and too big pixels (as for me)... So Onyx boox m92 is better.
This is false in general; please see the posts about JBC for details and compare these:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...03&postcount=4
and this
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=16

and there are many posts talking about resolution of Jetbook Color and triton so if you want you can find them.

Hope this help you
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: M92
A very interesting article comparing the used processors and the impact on the eReaders' speed:
http://www.edn.com/article/517594-Th...er_paradox.php

Last edited by Defenderland; 03-01-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote