Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Download to your pc the file: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...7&d=1361917519

Rename the file from: modules.cfs.zip to modules.cfs

Connect your Kindle to your pc

Where you see:
*/documents

Make a directory called extensions if you don't already have it.
like:

*/ +
+ documents
+ extensions
+ .....

The "*/" indicates the root of the usb storage area as seen over the USB cable
AND
/mnt/us as seen on the Kindle itself when you have a terminal open to the Kindle.

(KUAL may have made that extension directory for you, or you may have made it yourself)

IN the */extensions directory make the path of sub-directories:
system/lib/modules

Now copy the modules.cfs file into */extensions/system/lib directory

Switch from the USB storage mode, to USB networking mode, ssh into the kindle

mount the cramFS filesystem image by entering the command:
mount -t cramfs -o loop /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/modules.cfs /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/modules

Once mounted, you can then navigate the tree of kernel modules for all KUAL supported devices.

For your reference, enter the command:
uname -r

The result of that command is the appropriate sub-directory tree under the mount point 'modules' that your kernel requires you to use.
The other two paths lead to modules that will not load on your device, they are for the other devices.

Since this file system path on the FAT drive is not registered with the Kernel's auto-loader, you will have to manually insmod the modules you need yourself.
And you will have to include the full pathname to the module in the insmod command.

Enjoy.
Now you can do nat (network address translation).
and a zillion other things that a Linux machine can/could do.

Last edited by knc1; 05-23-2013 at 08:14 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur
Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hey,

really nice to you to do this tutorial. One thing what doesnt go. which ever module I want load with insmod or modprobe command I get the error
Code:
[root@kindle root]# modprobe -v -n /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/modules/2.6.31-rt11-lab126/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_sip.ko
FATAL: Module /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/modules/2.6.31_rt11_lab126/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_sip.ko not found.
So what is wrong?

Regard
Bagerfahrer
Bagerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagerfahrer View Post
Hey,

really nice to you to do this tutorial. One thing what doesnt go. which ever module I want load with insmod or modprobe command I get the error
Code:
[root@kindle root]# modprobe -v -n /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/modules/2.6.31-rt11-lab126/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_sip.ko
FATAL: Module /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/modules/2.6.31_rt11_lab126/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_sip.ko not found.
So what is wrong?

Regard
Bagerfahrer
Well, for one your using modprobe rather than insmod.
modprobe expects the module in the installed location /lib/modules/ ....

use insmod

Is it really their?
Try to do an ls -l (ell) on it.

That is probably the busybox version of insmod - with simplified error messages.
I.E: A misleading error message.

It might mean that one of the dependencies are missing.

replace the insmod with a modinfo in that command line,
if the module reports that it has dependencies, load those first.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur
Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Ohh hehe, yea when i use insmod it comes an error but not the same of modprobe. When I type
Code:
[root@kindle netfilter]# insmod /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/modules/2.6.31-rt11-lab126/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat.ko
then I get the error
Code:
insmod: error inserting '/mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/modules/2.6.31-rt11-lab126/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module
I had to load nf_nat(.ko) first becasue iptable_nat(.ko) have at depends nf_nat(.ko). So Modinfo works great. you get an nice list like
Code:
[root@kindle netfilter]# modinfo iptable_nat.ko
filename:       iptable_nat.ko
alias:          ip_nat
license:        GPL
depends:        nf_nat
vermagic:       2.6.31-rt11-lab126 mod_unload ARMv7
The files are really there.

Regards
Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 05-23-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral

Now that looks broke to me.
If I can duplicate it, I may be able to fix it.

Post the output of:
uname -a
and
cat /etc/version.txt
and
cat /etc/prettyversion.txt

Expect something similar to this:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# cat /etc/version.txt
System Software Version: 015-juno_303_yoshime3-181203
Tue Jan  8 22:11:44 PST 2013
[root@kindle root]# cat /etc/prettyversion.txt
Kindle 5.3.3 (~~otaVersion~~)
[root@kindle root]# uname -a
Linux kindle 2.6.31-rt11-lab126 #1 Tue Jan 8 22:06:21 PST 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux
[root@kindle root]#
That module **should** have loaded without any symbol errors (and worked properly).
Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Now that looks broke to me.
If I can duplicate it, I may be able to fix it.

Post the output of:
uname -a
and
cat /etc/version.txt
and
cat /etc/prettyversion.txt

Expect something similar to this:
Code:
System Software Version: 015-juno_303_yoshime3-181203
Tue Jan  8 22:11:44 PST 2013
Kindle 5.3.3 (~~otaVersion~~)
Linux kindle 2.6.31-rt11-lab126 #1 Tue Jan 8 22:06:21 PST 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux
[root@kindle root]#
That module **should** have loaded without any symbol errors (and worked properly).
Here are the Infos I got:
Code:
Linux kindle 2.6.31-rt11-lab126 #1 Mon Apr 1 22:09:02 PDT 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux
System Software Version: 013-juno_305_yoshime3-187929
Mon Apr  1 22:14:45 PDT 2013
Kindle 5.3.5 (~~otaVersion~~)
Regards
Bagerfahrer
Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral

Hmm...
Different kernel build than what the modules where built and tested with.

I may be able to find the difference and re-build the modules - but I am pretty swamped right now.

Consider 'upgrading' to 5.3.3
Old 05-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #23
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hmm...
Different kernel build than what the modules where built and tested with.

I may be able to find the difference and re-build the modules - but I am pretty swamped right now.

Consider 'upgrading' to 5.3.3
Are you meaning I should downgrade to 5.3.3?

Regards
Bagerfahrer
Old 05-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagerfahrer View Post
Are you meaning I should downgrade to 5.3.3?

Regards
Bagerfahrer
The Amazon full "upgrade" images do not detect the current version, so they can not tell if they are actually upgrading or not.

You can find a link to the off-site storage for the Amazon 5.3.3 (which is a full image, not an incremental) in the Paperwhite jailbreak thread.
Be aware that the 5.3.3 image has not been jail broken, only earlier and later versions.

I just mentioned that was a possibility, in case you absolutely, positively, have to have the iptables modules NOW.

It would be better if you can set this project aside until I have a chance to find, fix, and re-build the modules.
Warning: "Life" has me swamped at the moment, I can not give an estimate of WHEN I will have the time to do that work.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #25
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

@hawhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
If - rather than being a full blown gateway - the intention was to create a SOCKS proxy style way of access, then "-L 8099:192.168.15.244:22" is wrong. And if not, then "-L 8099:192.168.15.244:22" would make no sense whatsoever. You might want "-D 8099" instead.
Ok, now I understand. But that I tried recently, but over tunneling I do not get a connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Also, the SSH daemon on the Kindle must be set up to allow this, of course.
What I have to set up? In the internet I don't get useful information but maybe I only searching wrong.

Regards
Bagerfahrer
Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #26
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

That with the proxy is done. Works perfectly when there are not the little connection problems.

I persuade me to downgrade to 5.3.3 and tried again to load the modules I need. But why I can not just until now to load this modules? Same errors and I looked at the version and so on, but I have the same values like you posted. Do not know anymore. Maybe the insmod and modprobe from busybox are useless? Are there any other options?

Regards Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 06-12-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Tags
openssh, thetering