Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #361
Sarthak
Sarthak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Arrow who is "WE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
Well, if it's illegal, that's just a bit of a big flaw.
Also, we don't tolerate piracy in any way on MobileRead, I'd be careful if I were you.
who do you mean by "WE" actually????
illegal means book that are available from torrent and other sharing sites,, will they be protected in anyway or not???
Sarthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #362
lingchi9
Banned
lingchi9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
if it is a colorful screen, it will be better
lingchi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #363
DirkGently
DirkGently began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hi.

How does it work to buy a Nook from Amazon.com (US) with the help of Borderlinx?
Does it work with non-US credit card or bank transfer?
DirkGently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #364
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
Hi.

How does it work to buy a Nook from Amazon.com (US) with the help of Borderlinx?
Does it work with non-US credit card or bank transfer?
Register your B&N account with the Borderlinx address as shipping and billing address. You can use your own non-US credit card (the billing address is not checked).

I also use a VPN when buying a Nook (like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwaysVPN ($8.50)), I am not sure if that is really needed.

I have bought both my original Nook and the Nook Color this way.

Some people get a message to call B&N to complete their order. This is because B&N knows it is a mail forwarding address, and wants you to comfirm that you know about the restrictions outside the US. This has never happened to me (perhaps because of the VPN?).
Someone else recently mentioned that after waiting a few days his Nook was shipped, without him calling B&N.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #365
DirkGently
DirkGently began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Register your B&N account with the Borderlinx address as shipping and billing address. You can use your own non-US credit card (the billing address is not checked).

I also use a VPN when buying a Nook (like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwaysVPN ($8.50)), I am not sure if that is really needed.

I have bought both my original Nook and the Nook Color this way.

Some people get a message to call B&N to complete their order. This is because B&N knows it is a mail forwarding address, and wants you to comfirm that you know about the restrictions outside the US. This has never happened to me (perhaps because of the VPN?).
Someone else recently mentioned that after waiting a few days his Nook was shipped, without him calling B&N.

Actually I was thinking about using AMAZON because they also have this cover with great reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A28IEFR9FLAZFV

While the Nook itself is a bit more expensive there I think it still would be worth it. Is the same procedure possible?
DirkGently is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #366
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
Actually I was thinking about using AMAZON because they also have this cover with great reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A28IEFR9FLAZFV

While the Nook itself is a bit more expensive there I think it still would be worth it. Is the same procedure possible?
I have never used Amazon this way, but I assume it will work.
Just try it, the only thing that can happen is that your order is cancelled.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #367
McAber
McAber began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Same here. Germany, no problems with registering.
First, I've set the clock manually via ADB and then have been able to register.
In the meatime, thanks to firmware updates and softroot, this step isn't necessary anymore and registering is way more comfortable.
I've purchased lots of books from B&N via VPN on PC, so my account definitely is working.
I haven´t used ADB and I´ve never rooted anything in my life.. I just received my Nook and I don´t know how to proceed. This is what I´ve done so far:
1. Accepted the license agreement
2. Picked Atlantic time from a list of US timezones (didn´t know what to do)
3. Connected to my home wifi network
4. Looking at the button that says Continue with setup in despair. Do I dare continue?

Please help, point me in the right direction. If I need to root it, is there a good guide out there?
McAber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #368
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAber View Post
I haven´t used ADB and I´ve never rooted anything in my life.. I just received my Nook and I don´t know how to proceed. This is what I´ve done so far:
1. Accepted the license agreement
2. Picked Atlantic time from a list of US timezones (didn´t know what to do)
3. Connected to my home wifi network
4. Looking at the button that says Continue with setup in despair. Do I dare continue?

Please help, point me in the right direction. If I need to root it, is there a good guide out there?
You can register you Nook anywhere in the world. There are no restrictions for registering. You do not have to root or to use ADB or anything. You can just register.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #369
McAber
McAber began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You can register you Nook anywhere in the world. There are no restrictions for registering. You do not have to root or to use ADB or anything. You can just register.
I´m so glad for this and the prompt reply. Of course it worked, there were even an applicable timezone to choose from, I missed the little tick box for "show other timezones"

Thank you!
McAber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:14 AM   #370
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAber View Post
...there were even an applicable timezone to choose from, I missed the little tick box for "show other timezones"
I'm not sure that option shows until after registartion, so you may not have missed it at all at that stage. Great it's there, either way!
(I set up a Nook Touch for a friend, over here in Sweden, last week and although not strictly neccessary, having the correct time zone is nice!)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #371
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Replying in general to the issue of international purchases from Barnes & Noble:

I set up an account with B&N using a US address and phone number, but with an Australian credit card but, as expected, my puurchase was rejected. After reading this thread I signed up with StrongVPN then went back in and was able to download a couple of free books without any problem, and have just bought a cheap book too, so my credit card works, even though the account address is in the US and the credit card Australian with a Australian address.

Aside: In case anyone read this pre-edit, I thought it didn't work, but forgot I'd logged off the VPN.

Last edited by Hoods7070; 05-06-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #372
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
Maybe useless to most but I live close enough to the US that I can just drive there and buy one, and the Nook store accepts Canadian customers although books from some publishers are not available due to licensing restrictions. No worries, books I've purchased through Kobo and Sony will work on the Nook via Adobe Digital Editions.
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #373
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKazzed View Post
Maybe useless to most but I live close enough to the US that I can just drive there and buy one, and the Nook store accepts Canadian customers although books from some publishers are not available due to licensing restrictions. No worries, books I've purchased through Kobo and Sony will work on the Nook via Adobe Digital Editions.
As a Canadian you do not have to use an VPN.
So just register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address, and you will have access to all books and apps in the Nook store.

Any valid US address will work, just Google something. The billing address is not checked, so your Canadian credit card will work fine.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #374
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Very simple way to resolve this problem: Get a courier address in the U.S, and have them forward your nook to wherever you live.

As for credit card, I paid with a Visa, obviously emitted in my own country, and had no problems whatsoever. Its all a matter of billing addresses, I guess
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #375
Dougahole
Dougahole began at the beginning.

B&N issues

I guess that we must have given them enough time by now. Considering that the first post was way back, they have not progressed one bit. I am Canadian and purchased my Nook in the US. I have complained to them numerous times and they always tell you the same thing, 'it is coming'
After all, do we really need B&N. With all of the other options out there it is their own fault if they shoot themselves in the foot.
The final response that I received only yesterday is that there a limited number of books that are available to other than US readers, but you have to look for them and it looks like you only find out at checkout if the book qualifies. Not what I would call good marketing or customer service.
Dougahole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas