Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Are Apple iPad backup files accessible without iPad?

I am wondering about a worst case scenario - suppose I lose or break my iPad.

Is it possible to recover application files (such as ebooks, video, etc) from the Apple iPad backup using just my desktop computer, or does it require another iPad to recover that backed up information?

Would appreciate the thoughts of all you iPad gurus out there. You know, it's kind of annoying that I have so many copies of data (my original, my iTunes copy, my iPad copy, the iPad backup, and probably I will need another backup with just the files on the iPad in case I lose the iPad and want to load those files onto another mobile device - replacing with another iPad would be quite expensive.)
Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
If your using a PC the backups:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

If MAC:
~(home directory)/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Im afraid neither are that much use without an iPad though as the data's all encrypted (as .mddata) and I'm not sure how to extract it - possibly SQlite to extract - never used it so no idea.

If your after books downloaded from itunes they should be in
C:\Users\username\mymusic\iTunes\iTunes Media\Books (or the Mac equivalent)

If you sideloaded the books, say from calibre then they wont be there - itunes is either using the original file location of your book or sticking it in the encrypted backup - not sure which!

Cheers.

One last Edit - my main book backup is a full calibre library backup an a 2gig USB pen drive on my keyring

Last edited by rakulos; 12-04-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typos
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Rakulos, I appreciate the info!

And, unfortunately, one more reason to not like iTunes. ;-)
Old 12-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
There are several programs out there that will extract files from the backup. The one I use is called iPhone Backup Extracter (for the Mac). It also works with the iPad and iPod Touch.

There is probably a similar program for Windows.

Last edited by JMikeD; 12-05-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

That's interesting news... I'll Google for a Windows solution. Thks for the tip!
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
There are several programs out there that will extract files from the backup. The one I use is called iPhone Backup Extracter (for the Mac). It also works with the iPad and iPod Touch.

There is probably a similar program for Windows.
Yep... http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

It's a bit pricey, however, if you want to recover lots of files (even on sale now it's $24.95 with 12 months of free upgrades, regularly $34.95), so I won't use it unless as a last resort.

But if you just need a file or two, it seems to be free.
Closed Thread