Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Nine secs. for K2 to wake up

Gentlefolk;

My K2 has started taking nine seconds to wake up from sleep. Previously it took about four seconds.

I have reset the K2 twice, but there is no difference in wakeup time.

Wireless is turned off.

Ideas what may be causing this? I have not noticed any corruption of content.

I have about 80 books on the K2, but no where near making any kind of dent in my available memory.

Thanks!

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
that is a puzzler! my original K1 was doing something similar a few weeks ago and taking an incredibly long time time to turn pages as well. just as I had pretty much reached fed up stage (maybe 3 days?) and was ready to call tech support, it all got back to normal *shrug* I hadn't done anything other delete a few anthologies... and even that was not an immediate sort of response
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Is it waking up to the home screen or to a book? Is it a Topaz book? I know Topaz files are slower to load.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
I am letting the K2 go to sleep in the middle of an Amazon-boughtened copy of "Street Without Joy: The French Debacle in Indochina" by Bernard Fall.

A generally nicely prepared book with just a few typographical hiccups - mostly odd spacing. But the French and Vietnamese lettering comes across cleanly, and the footnotes are well-executed. Not a particularly long book either.

There are a series of photos and maps in the book, maybe its just taking time to process the images??

No crashes, just taking a long time to wake up.

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, on a quick check that's a Topaz book. There's nothing wrong with your Kindle, when you move on to another book (mobi/azw) it'll be back to it's normal speed. There aren't many Topaz books, but certainly publishers seem to use them.

Personally, I give Topaz books a second (or third) thought before I actually buy them, but usually, if a book is in Topaz format, it's not available anywhere else, so if I want to read it, I'm stuck.

HTH,
Tracey

ETA - you may want to go to the home page before letting your K2 go to sleep - Topaz books have been known to lose their place (although I think that was on power-off, not sleep) I wouldn't want to take the chance.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Yeah, on a quick check that's a Topaz book.
Tracey, excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a "Topaz book" in this context?

I can't see any reference to Topaz on the Street Without Joy page on Amazon.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post

I can't see any reference to Topaz on the Street Without Joy page on Amazon.
Mike,

Amazon won't tell you that something is in a Topaz format, but if you're looking at the book's page on the Amazon site, and it only tells you how many pages the book has and not the size of the download, you should be suspicious that it might be a Topaz book. The K-2 handles these better than the K-1 did, but the formatting of the books can be terrible, and books formatted in Topaz are usually about 10x the size of an ordinary formatted book.

See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/AZW1#Topaz
for more information.

To identify whether your book is indeed formatted in one of the Topaz format, plug your Kindle into the computer, open up the documents folder and look.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply, Jim. I see what you mean about showing just the page count, not the file size.

So, are you saying that you can recognise a Topaz book that is already on your Kindle by looking for a file with an extension TPZ or AZW1?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
So, are you saying that you can recognise a Topaz book that is already on your Kindle by looking for a file with an extension TPZ or AZW1?
Absolutely. Just connect the Kindle to your computer and look in the documents file. Be aware, though, that when you load a book into the documents file, it creates two files, one of which keeps track of things like your bookmarks. I forget what the extension is on these files, but the size of them will tip you off as to which is which.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
Mike L
Wizard

Thanks for that, Jim. I don't appear to have any Topaz books right now, but I'll keep it in mind.

I did once have exactly the same problem as in the original question in this thread. The culprit turned out to be a magazine (PC Magazine if I remember right). Fortunately, it had no lasting value, so I just deleted it and everything was fine.