Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Ebookwise 1150 vs. Nokia 800

I've reached the point where I need to buy an ebook reader. I find myself spending more time with the internet/computer and less time going to the library (Though I still buy lots of used paperbacks).

Based on price and features (after reading this forum and others), my choices seem to be the Ebookwise 1150 or the Nokia 800 internet tablet. I'm in Canada, and the prices of these two, after shipping charges to get the Ebookwise from the US here, are almost the same.

On the one hand, Ebookwise seems to be the clear winner of these two in terms of format and displaying a book, as well as sturdiness.

The Nokia on the other hand has tons of extra features (internet, audio, video and a Linux OS to tinker with), and is also newer technology. From what I've read, however, the Nokia's smaller screen makes reading novels much less pleasurable than on the Ebookwise.

In your opinion, what is the deal breaker? Should I go with Ebookwise's "reader's screen", despite the device's limitations, or is the Nokia's screen adequate, especially when combined with extra features?
simonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
On the one hand, Ebookwise seems to be the clear winner of these two in terms of format and displaying a book, as well as sturdiness.
I have to disagree with you here. The N800 supports more formats than the Ebookwise. Are you familiar with FBReader? It supports quite a few formats including non-DRM Mobipocket.

You also left out battery life, which the Ebookwise wins easily.

As someone who has used both, I can't recommend one over the other. I don't think one is clearly better than the other.The Ebookwise has a better reading experience overall, but I also like the size and shape of the N800.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i've never used (or even seen...) the nokia, however i have an eb1150 and i adore it. the ergonomy is incredibly well thought-out and comfortable to use, especially since you can rotate the screen (the page-turning buttons are automatically re-mapped) to use either hand for reading. i find it a bit too heavy to carry with me in my bag so i only use it for reading at home, but for that it is really great. i also appreciate such features as dictionary look-up and touchscreen for making notes.

it supports only one format *natively*, however it is not very complicated to convert most other formats (rtf, doc, txt, html, mobi / prc...), using either an automatic on-line conversion through the ebookwise, eti or filament books site or one of the many conversion tools you can find on this site (look especially at Mobi2imp : it is in a sticky thread in the eb1150 forum). and lots of people around here can help you with conversion questions.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
I have two Nokia tablets (The 770 and the N800) and for me the combo of tablet/FBReader is wonderful.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I have two Nokia tablets (The 770 and the N800) and for me the combo of tablet/FBReader is wonderful.
Interesting. You can get the N800 at Tiger Direct for $219. What kind of battery life do you get on that thing?

What exactally size is the screen. The specs only list the resolution.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I wasn't the one asked, but with the WiFi turned off, I get 6-7 hours on my N800. This is continuous use, with the backlight over half-way up.

I like the fact that FBReader handles multiple formats w/o conversion. And even LIT ebooks with minor repackaging.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
Johannes
Enthusiast
Johannes began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What exactally size is the screen. The specs only list the resolution.
These internet tablets have 800x480 4.1" screens.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Interesting. You can get the N800 at Tiger Direct for $219. What kind of battery life do you get on that thing?
BOb
I've never run it long enough to drain the battery. When I take a tablet to work I can easily last through a 12 hour shift w/o problems. That's probably two hours total downtime that I can spend reading on a slow night. I think the longest I've read was about four straight hours, and I still had battery to spare.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #9
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Thank you very much for your replies. As of this morning, I was all ready to order the Nokia n800 from TigerDirect Canada. But this evening, I learn the Sony PSR505 is now available for pre-order in Canada at Sony.ca. The price is $299 with free shipping, which puts it in the same range as the n800 ($229 + shipping).

Back to the drawing board I guess!
simonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
Back to the drawing board I guess!
They are two very different devices. If you are looking for a dedicated device with a eInk (almost paper like) screen for eBooks (PDFs don't count here) with a batter that should last at least a week then the Sony reader.

But, if you are looking for a mobile "gadget" on which you can read eBooks (PDFs here, but with pan/scan) with a back light screen but also surf the web, have a calendar, contacts, email, etc, but have to charge every night (or more often) then the Nokia N800 seems like the choice.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote