Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I DID IT!!

BUTTER MY BUTT AND CALL ME A BISCUIT! Thanks to "Leep", who has worked with me via email the last three or so nights, never losing patience, (well I couldn't see her face but she always sounded nice) I, thats ME, desertgrandma, have managed to download mobi2mobiperl, AND actually manipulate a book file so that the book sorted itself by author.....correctly!! Only other anal retentive people will understand the importance of seeing your books listed by author....not just thrown to the back page. I gotta say, using the command prompt is fun. Now to find someone around here who will teach me Vista and other computer applications before my new laptop gets here....

Um....Now, how did I do that again?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
BUTTER MY BUTT AND CALL ME A BISCUIT! Thanks to "Leep", who has worked with me via email the last three or so nights, never losing patience, (well I couldn't see her face but she always sounded nice) I, thats ME, desertgrandma, have managed to download mobi2mobiperl, AND actually manipulate a book file so that the book sorted itself by author.....correctly!! Only other anal retentive people will understand the importance of seeing your books listed by author....not just thrown to the back page. I gotta say, using the command prompt is fun. Now to find someone around here who will teach me Vista and other computer applications before my new laptop gets here....

Well, you are one up on me. I have never been able to get the damn thing to work.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, you are one up on me. I have never been able to get the damn thing to work.
Did I say I used the mobi2mobi command prompt applications? I downloaded the whole file but just used that one.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Did I say I used the mobi2mobi command prompt applications? I downloaded the whole file but just used that one.
So, you're still one up on me ....
Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:

Just Remember the Button that stays lit up turns it on and Off!!
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:

I almost forgot:

You're a biscuit!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Well done and I did give Leep some karma for being quite helpful. It's nice when things you want come together. Congrats to you for getting it to work and to Leep for helping you out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
BUTTER MY BUTT AND CALL ME A BISCUIT!
Quote:
You're a biscuit!!!
what on earth does that mean ??? and could you add it to the colloquialisms thread ? whatever it means, it's funny.

congratulations to you, it feels great doesn't it ? and thanks very much to Leep, Mobileread is such a great site thanks to members like her.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
what on earth does that mean ??? and could you add it to the colloquialisms thread ? whatever it means, it's funny.

congratulations to you, it feels great doesn't it ? and thanks very much to Leep, Mobileread is such a great site thanks to members like her.
It's a southern thang!
http://www.beer-bytch.com/southsayins.html
http://ashlandbelle.com/Southern.html
http://www.quotemountain.com/sayings/southern_sayings/

JJ
P.S. I tried to read all of them for censorship but I may have missed something. Please forgive me and let me know!

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-19-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:

Yup ... it's a Southern thang. It's just a general exclamation of surprize. You can make it up from pretty much anything out of the following structure:

Well, put a ______ on my _______ and call me a _________.

It's rather flexible in that regard, although some are older than others. You can get raunchy or stay clean .... it's a lot of fun.

Examples:

Well, stick a feather up my ass and call me a peacock!!

Well, dump some leaves on my head and call me a tree!!
Old 07-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

wow. thanks for the links, and the examples, both of you. the second link is particularly good since it gives the meaning of the expression. my personal favorite :
Quote:
I do declare. (usually means nothing)
heh.
in the third site, ironically they explain the expression with... another expression :
Quote:
Southern Saying: Butter my biscuit
Translation: Isn't that something!
Usage: Well butter my biscuit!
heh again...

must try to incorporate this into my daily conversation.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
wow. thanks for the links, and the examples, both of you. the second link is particularly good since it gives the meaning of the expression. my personal favorite :

heh.
in the third site, ironically they explain the expression with... another expression :

heh again...

must try to incorporate this into my daily conversation.
Nowadays, "Well, I do declare" is often (dare I say "mostly") used as an expression of sarcastic ... or insincere surprise. To get the highest sarcasm points, say it with your thickest Southern drawl and roll you eyes at the same time.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
It's a southern thang!
http://www.beer-bytch.com/southsayins.html
http://ashlandbelle.com/Southern.html
http://www.quotemountain.com/sayings/southern_sayings/

JJ
P.S. I tried to read all of them for censorship but I may have missed something. Please forgive me and let me know!

I wish those sites would go a little bit into the history of some of those sayings ... or explain them a bit more. For instance, Zeep might not know that a "polecat" is a skunk.

Also, that "three sheets to the wind" actually came to the South through the mariner's tradition. A sheet is a sail, and if you have three sheets to the wind you are REALLY sailing along (i.e., drunk).

I think my favorite was the one in the tradition of "the lights are on, but nobody's home" .... that was: "The wheels still turning, but the hamsters dead"
Old 07-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

you're right, i didn't know that. thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
I wish those sites would go a little bit into the history of some of those sayings ... or explain them a bit more. For instance, Zeep might not know that a "polecat" is a skunk.

Also, that "three sheets to the wind" actually came to the South through the mariner's tradition. A sheet is a sail, and if you have three sheets to the wind you are REALLY sailing along (i.e., drunk).

I think my favorite was the one in the tradition of "the lights are on, but nobody's home" .... that was: "The wheels still turning, but the hamsters dead"
Now Ricky we all know that to truly speak southern is akin to some one fluent in The Ancient Macedonian Language, Things tend to get lost in translation, However with years of dedication and study I believe we can allow Queen Zee to walk among us as an honorary Southern Bell!

JJ

Tags
duck!