Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Andy Farman
Connoisseur
Andy Farman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What journey brought you here?

Parents make the best authors of Childrens Tales. (The non-parent authored Childrens Tales are ghost stories told around camp fires.)
The writer of the steamiest erotica I ever read was a 60 year old former Nun.
So I am wondering what brought you all down this road and what experiences are shaping your stories and style?

This is my third career, the first lasted seven years as a 'Regular' and ten more as a Reservist and consisted of running around the countryside with guns.

The second involved running around cities with a silly bit of wood called a truncheon, but the last six years of it were cool because I got to hang with TV and movie crews on location, eat really good free food, and fast track through the notoriously slow and strict security at the BBC, all with a flash of the badge.
Going to Buckingham Palace for briefings and meetings was cool too but I had to use the tradesmen's entrance at the side, just to remember my place.

All life experiences stored for later use but our outlooks may be a little different from each others. I do not mean stereotyping though as I, for example, became less conservative in views the more cynical I became, and that cynicism was earned with experience.

So come on, step up, what do you write and why?

Last edited by Andy Farman; 06-26-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Andy Farman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I wrote fairy stories for my kids to get them to sleep, and decided I liked some of them so I started writing them down. My kids are over 21 now, but I still write fairy stories - I like the simplicity of them (and the short form). I've got an out line for a novel based on one of the stories, but I don't know whether I'll ever actually try to write it out.

I've always been a writer - I told stories as a child, and have made my living as a technical writer for many, many years.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I can not answer that question here, because I answered it in my last book as "bonus materiel not available anywhere else" But you are more then welcome to by a copy and read it!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've always loved to read and I think it is a natural progression to think of moving on to not only read but to write new tales that only the writer can tell.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've always known I wanted to write. After a brief look at my early attempts at fiction, I decided journalism might be a better choice for me. Now, I'm back to fiction. And I love it.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
Andy Farman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I can not answer that question here, because I answered it in my last book as "bonus materiel not available anywhere else" But you are more then welcome to by a copy and read it!
VydorScope has uncovered my devilish plan to take the very characters of the posters for a new work.

I will indeed have to purchase his soul as he has not given freely, but then I swear The Rocky Horror Show (Part Deux) will hit the presses!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
well...

My first career involved chasing wildfires in the interior of Alaska, but it lasted an almost-brief decade; the second focused on the pursuit of wildlife crooks. In the later part of that profession, I started teaching on-scene forensics interpretation and I saw the need for a 78 page "how to" textbook. (Anybody here write about firearms evidence? ) That smallish-work brought me to my second book, which is a memoir of a criminal case I worked in the early part of my second career. The case bothered me and I felt as if it was a story that needed telling; a little bit for me and lot for those interested in the subject.

The success of the second book gave me confidence that perhaps I could write what I loved to read: mystery/thrillers. It'll be published after my editor finishes with her box of red felt tips. I think part of the enjoyment of writing this work was missing the chase and creating a really-bad bad guy that I could sick my protagonist on.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Andy Farman
Connoisseur

I've worked several murder scenes, the most famous have been written about an awful lot. Writing about those, again, would not add anything new, except to deny peace to the next of kin. The killer was caught and will I hope die in Broadmoor. Not that I am suggesting you should not have written yours, in fact when I get time I will download it for a read.
Just saying hello mate.

Last edited by Andy Farman; 06-28-2013 at 02:15 PM.