Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
guanaco
Recovering reader
guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Grand Canyon trip advisor

Hi, we (that is, wife, child, and me) are considering a visit to the Grand Canyon (Arizona, USA). Looking on internet it seems that it is a very wide place. Thus, I would like to know if any fellow mobilereader has an experience being there, like where to stay and what to see. We are not in things like hiking, biking, or any other extreme sport , we just want to take some pictures and be able to say "hey! I was there!"

Any comment will be appreciated.
guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I like to stay in Flagstaff or Williams. There are a few hotels immediately outside the entrance as well but availability and options are limited. You want to explore the South Rim. Be aware that the lines can be long to get into the park especially on a weekend. They have several lookout stations. The Desert View Watchtower is particularly nice. The Visitor's Center is also decent and has a good gift shop. I recommend to eat at the El Tovar Lodge which is historic and has great views. I hope you enjoy your trip. Arizona is a beautiful state. I highly recommend a trip to Sedona which south of Flagstaff if you will be in that area. The red rocks there are fantastic scenery.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Watch out...There is a HUGE hole in that part of the world....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
guanaco
Recovering reader
guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the answer. I have been told that it is better to visit the South Rim and to avoid the West Rim if I want not to be ripped off.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
My wife and I went there last January and had a very pleasant time. We stayed in Flagstaff and really liked it; a very pleasant town. We stayed at a botique hotel (Inn at 410) and were very pleased. And winter was a good time to visit the Canyon. True it was chilly but there were no crowds to contend with.

Also, be sure and visit Meteor Crater and Walnut Canyon; both very interesting and stunning. Additionally, Lowes Observatory in Flagstaff is opened at night and have their telescopes aimed at various planets and galactic objects. This is a really good sight for kids.

And plan to spend a day in Sedonia taking in its breathtaking scenery.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
since you will be in the general area, you should take a trip to Mesa Verde as well
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanaco View Post
Thanks for the answer. I have been told that it is better to visit the South Rim and to avoid the West Rim if I want not to be ripped off.
The West Rim is part of the Indian Reservation rather than the National Park, and they have this fairly new Skywalk glass platform that cantilevers over the edge. It was controversial when it opened because it was ~ $100 per person just to walk out on this platform for a few minutes. I don't know anyone who has gone to see this tourist attraction.

You can do the South Rim and exit the East entrance and do a loop back to Flagstaff. Just north of Flagstaff are the Sunset Crater National Monument (volcanic cinder cones) and Wupatki Pueblo Ruins. Here is a good website link with a map and description of the sites along the rim.
http://www.dreamflagstaff.com/grand-...south-rim.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
My wife and I went there last January and had a very pleasant time. We stayed in Flagstaff and really liked it; a very pleasant town. We stayed at a botique hotel (Inn at 410) and were very pleased. And winter was a good time to visit the Canyon. True it was chilly but there were no crowds to contend with.
I've stayed at the Inn at 410. It was lovely! And, just around the corner and behind it is one of my favorite restaurants/wine bar, Brix. I've also stayed several times at the Radisson Woodlands Hotel. It has two full-service restaurants off the lobby and is good for families. There are lots of options for hotels in Flagstaff for a variety of budgets. There are loads of food options too since it's also a small college town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Also, be sure and visit Meteor Crater and Walnut Canyon; both very interesting and stunning.
Just a little further east of these sites are the Painted Desert & Petrified Forest which are also very beautiful.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
We also ate at Brix and were very pleased.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
guanaco
Recovering reader

Thanks for the answers. Now I have a much better idea about where to go and where to eat.