Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
quick question on syncing and backups

1st question, what is the function of the sync on the top bar, what is getting synced? In my experience, it's not syncing progress in books, that doesn't seem to happen till you get in to a book. (i have other kindle devices so cross platform syncing is something i use). not sure that if its not syncing wispernet book progress, what else of relevance it could be syncing.

2nd question, it doesn't seem like kindle fire does, but in general, do android devices have backup features similiar to backing up on ios? Point being, with ios, on a hard erase and reset, you can use a backup, now in the cloud, to restore device to previous settings.
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssahnan View Post
1st question, what is the function of the sync on the top bar, what is getting synced? In my experience, it's not syncing progress in books, that doesn't seem to happen till you get in to a book. (i have other kindle devices so cross platform syncing is something i use). not sure that if its not syncing wispernet book progress, what else of relevance it could be syncing.

2nd question, it doesn't seem like kindle fire does, but in general, do android devices have backup features similiar to backing up on ios? Point being, with ios, on a hard erase and reset, you can use a backup, now in the cloud, to restore device to previous settings.
It syncs Books on the Book shelf not Documents. It syncs Apps, Videos and Musics that you bought from Amazon or uploaded to your cloud. Basically any Amazon cloud changes.

On books syncing is to Archive Items and Book progress, notes and highlight...etc It can be a bit buggy and take a few syncs to get it all updated.

Factory Reset will restore the Kindle Fire to how it was out of the box. You can back up apks of your apps but no you can't back up your settings without rooting.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It syncs Books on the Book shelf not Documents. It syncs Apps, Videos and Musics that you bought from Amazon or uploaded to your cloud. Basically any Amazon cloud changes.

On books syncing is to Archive Items and Book progress, notes and highlight...etc It can be a bit buggy and take a few syncs to get it all updated.

Factory Reset will restore the Kindle Fire to how it was out of the box. You can back up apks of your apps but no you can't back up your settings without rooting.
I figured it would be that stuff, but in practice, I find it doesn't sync book progress for me. I got to open up the book, on wifi obviously, to get proper sync. I'm sure it's a simple bug that'll get fxed, I think I just wanted to reaffirm the function of sync was what i thought it was.
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote