Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
gilly78201
gilly78201 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Question about game file sizes

hey everyone, I own an ipod touch 8g, so I learned all about different file sizes when downloading games, I know not to download large games, I downloaded fast five, and it took have my space up..LOL but I've noticed with android, its a different story, I went to one of the sideloading game sites, and found these 2 for example, Angry birds was 18.8MB, and Brothers In Arms was 2.6MB, now Brothers in arms graphics alone tell me, its larger than Angry Birds, but I cant figure out those file sizes.
gilly78201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Some games download more data when you first try to play them, which can be quite annoying. I'm sure Brothers in Arms, as most 3D Android games I've noticed, will download more files to your device when you go to run it. It probably won't work/side load on the KF though as it'll try to redirect to the Amazon app store and they don't have that game, so you'd receive an error.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
It's a good idea to read as many reviews as possibile before deciding whether to install a game. the reviewers will tell you things the developer (and Amazon) won't.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I wanted to put a few good action games on my Fire. I saw an auto rack.g game, Asphalt 6, that got greatreviews. The size wasn't too big, so I bought it and installed it.

When i went to open it and play it, it told me that I had to download and install another 512mb of data!! Nowhere in the App Store's description was this mentioned.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
gilly78201
gilly78201 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
It's a good idea to read as many reviews as possibile before deciding whether to install a game. the reviewers will tell you things the developer (and Amazon) won't.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I wanted to put a few good action games on my Fire. I saw an auto rack.g game, Asphalt 6, that got greatreviews. The size wasn't too big, so I bought it and installed it.

When i went to open it and play it, it told me that I had to download and install another 512mb of data!! Nowhere in the App Store's description was this mentioned.
yea, same here. but I went ahead and downloaded it anyway..lol thanks for the tip

Last edited by gilly78201; 12-16-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling
gilly78201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:

The Fire storage is basically partitioned for Internal and External Storage.

The App itself is installed to Internal Storage which is 1.09 GB (Most Apps are installed here).

Most Android Apps are on the order of a few hundred KB, with some all the way to about 15 - 20 MB. App developers that are App storage conscious will make their App installs very small and place App data in external storage instead.

To put this into perspective, take the game Dead Space for example. Only the Dead Space App is installed on the App partition in Android. The App itself only uses 316 KB of App Storage! However, the game data is installed on the larger External Storage (aka SD Card) partition (5.0 GB on the Fire) and the App fetches it from there.

Last edited by obsessed2; 12-16-2011 at 08:52 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
So if the Fire is partitioned to have both app storage space and 'external' space, I take it that you can use a 'move to sd card' Android utility to move apps to the 'external' partition if you want (or need)?
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
I have read of a lot of people saying they could NOT get a 'move to sd card' utility to work on the Fire, and none saying they COULD get it to work. I tried that function in Gemini app manager and it didn't seem to do anything, but I could very well have done something wrong... So if you can figure it out, please report back here :-)
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
So if the Fire is partitioned to have both app storage space and 'external' space, I take it that you can use a 'move to sd card' Android utility to move apps to the 'external' partition if you want (or need)?

A small portion of the Fire's App storage is reserved for A2SD. I haven't tried an Apps2SD App however, a lot of newer Apps will automatically take advantage of external App storage if available. Please see this thread for a complete breakdown of the Fire's storage resources (post #19): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=159388&page=2
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote