Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Is the PRS-T3 a worthwhile upgrade from the 350?

They both have Pearl screens. Some people rave about the T3, as the best of the Sony e-readers, which should be true as it's their last one. Is it worthwhile snagging one? Or is it just a small upgrade from the 350/650, with little visible screen improvement?
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
They both have Pearl screens. Some people rave about the T3, as the best of the Sony e-readers, which should be true as it's their last one. Is it worthwhile snagging one? Or is it just a small upgrade from the 350/650, with little visible screen improvement?
The T3 uses (supposedly) a newer version of RMDSK. Plus, the screen is much nicer then the 350/650 because it's a higher resolution screen at 1024x758. So text will be sharper/crisper and high resolution graphics will look better. The T3 will be faster and the T3 is lighter then the 650 which is actually even heavier then the Kobo Aura H2O. The T1 is very light. The T3 will be as well. The only downside to the T3 is the lack of a front light. But, if you can get a case/cover that fits the T3 and has room to use one of the M-Edge e-lumintors (sp?) (very cheap on eBay) then you'll have a light.

The M-Edge Go jacket fits the T1 just fine. I've tried one made for the Kindle Touch and yes, the T1 fits well. There is room to slide in an e-luminator.

So yes, the t3 is a worthwhile upgrade from the 350/650.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Great rundown! Many thanks.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Great rundown! Many thanks.
Happy to help.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Keep the beautiful 350, but get a T3 as well - I have most of the Sony readers, and they are my two go-to's ..... but the T3 I rate top.

But I'd hate not to have my dinky 350 ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

After using the H2O, I'd find the screen of the 350 a bit on the small side.