Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
spinee
spinee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
New Touch in the works?

or am i reading too much into this? i recently got a coupon worth 20% off covers for the touch, and when i went to see what the selection was like, a large percentage of them were 40%-50% off already. i ended up picking up one of their "industriell" covers for $14!

i guess they could just have come to their senses about the absurdly high prices they'd been charging, or are trying to clear out some overstocked covers. or...if there's a physical redesign of the NST that would obsolete all their covers, that might prompt a sale.

just wondering. not really in the market for a new one, but i always like to see new potential toys on the market.
spinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
It would be great if they came out with a new Touch now, but I somehow doubt it. The Glow only came out less than 6 months ago, I think. I cannot imagine that they would bring out a new Touch model (non-Glow) and not upgrade the Glow version at the same time. So, it seems a little soon for a model upgrade, IMHO.

Actually, that brings up another question - will then eventually only have ONE b&w model - the glow version, or keep them separate as they are now? Since the display is better on the non-glow version, I hope they keep them separate, or improve the contrast on the Glow.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I can see them updating the glow with a higher resolution screen. They need it to compete with the Paperwhite and the Kobo Glo. It may not be the killer feature, but it does put the nook at a slight disadvantage without it.

I don't see them updating the technology behind the glow light. Which is a shame, the Paperwhite light seems leaps and bounds better.

Last edited by supermighty; 09-14-2012 at 11:02 AM.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I really...really want the Glow but not this version with the downgrade in contrast. If BN can improve that issue, I'm ready to buy.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I sold my NST and bought the Glow - I love it and I do not notice much if any contrast downgrade.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I agree with tdonline. I compared my Touch with my friend's Glow, side-by-side and was really disappointed in the contrast reduction on the Glow. I was surprised at how much worse it looks, even though I had read that it wasn't as good. Maybe with the glow light always on it improves to the point that it matches the non-glow (I didn't try all permutations), but that's not ideal, IMHO.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
Lord Mahoney
Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, Nook Tablet, Kindle Keyboard
New Touch models will be announced before the end of the year.
Lord Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mahoney View Post
New Touch models will be announced before the end of the year.
Source? Personally I doubt this.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
It may happen. The glow really wasnt a new model. it just had a light attached. The trend for the last few years has been a new model every year. The Glow came out much less than a year later. It was a minor upgrade.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
It may happen. The glow really wasnt a new model. it just had a light attached. The trend for the last few years has been a new model every year. The Glow came out much less than a year later. It was a minor upgrade.
I would expect next eInk devices to be announced around Spring time.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I would expect next eInk devices to be announced around Spring time.
Agree! For Christmas they'll be promoting the HD and HD+ (and of course the Glow)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Went into a Barnes and Noble today. The Glow is now $20 cheaper.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I would bet that new or updated models will be released before the holidays. Right now the nook is the only eInk without the new 1024x768 screen. BN will want that one their devices to be able to compete.

The lease I can see them doing is releasing the same hardware with the newer screen.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote