Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #676
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Now lets say I buy a car; maybe I purchase a basic Toyota Corolla; gasoline powered and with a manual-transimission"/

Is it then rational for me to yell at the top of my lungs "I WANT TOYOTA TO CHANGE AND GIVE ME DIESEL POWER AND AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AS IT"S SO INEFFICIENT TO CHANGE GEARS HY HAND?"

I think the answer is NO and that you have to accept you have purchased the wrong device.
Well, the thing with this analogy is that you CAN buy a Toyota with automatic transmission and diesel power.
You can not buy a Kobo with file manager. This topic is about future ui requests, it is perfectly normal to say that it would be wonderful to have folder support in the future. Don't tell me it is impossible and stupid to ask, because it is neither hard nor impossible to implement on the devices we all have already.
Also when do people realize that suggesting to go and buy other device is pretty much counterproductive? Instead of supporting the need of the new(not new, but rather absent atm) convenient feature, all you can say- you bought a wrong device, we at Kobo corner are happy with what we got, so go away?
File manager will pop up again and again and again, because for many people it is better, faster and more convenient than any collection/shelf system. Eliminating need to process database- priceless.
___
As far as pdf processing, it would be awesome as someone mentioned to be able to page through zoomed in document, where each new page is at the same zoom and coordinates as previous one, without needing to rezoom each page turn.
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #677
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
But if I wanted an eReader with a browser interface, I would have bought one, and researched it before hand.

The database processing is quick!

You know what.... I think you folks have managed to do to me what you have done to Kobo employee's participating. Drive them off.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #678
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Quote:
But if I wanted an eReader with a browser interface, I would have bought one, and researched it before hand.
True and not, because many people assume that such basic feature is present, and feel cheated, when it is not there.
Quote:
You, me and everyone by now knows it is not.
Quote:
You know what.... I think you folks have managed to do to me what you have done to Kobo employee's participating. Drive them off.
So you telling me that Kobo employees were driven off by a suggestion of a file browser? And that this "evil" idea is what would drive you away too?
I say that with new firmware 2.6.1 Kobo team is getting some things better, it took only 10 minutes to process 1000 books, when before it took 30minutes, but it is still too long. I think it would help everyone if Kobo employees were a bit more patient and attentive to their customer needs.
As far as you being driven off- oh, please, please, please, don't go. Who could help people better with their Kobos, if not people like you, because Kobo itself surely does not.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #679
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonna View Post
True and not, because many people assume that such basic feature is present, and feel cheated, when it is not there.
I feel obliged to point out that this "basic feature" is not present on iOS devices, and is normally not apparent on Android devices. (Yes, there are some Android apps that expose the file system, but by and large, Android apps follow the iOS precedent of handling the file system for you, out of sight.)

Not everybody likes digging through folders when they can use a search or define their own shelf (aka Kindle "collection", Win7 "library", etc.); many people are content to let the device/OS handle that stuff behind the scenes.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #680
theonna
One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I feel obliged to point out that this "basic feature" is not present on iOS devices, and is normally not apparent on Android devices. (Yes, there are some Android apps that expose the file system, but by and large, Android apps follow the iOS precedent of handling the file system for you, out of sight.)
You know there were and still are many people that wont buy ios devices because of it. But you are wrong about Android, reading apps on android have access to file browser and enable you to use your folder organized library just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Not everybody likes digging through folders when they can use a search or define their own shelf (aka Kindle "collection", Win7 "library", etc.); many people are content to let the device/OS handle that stuff behind the scenes.
Not everyone likes many things that appear too complicated. What I don't like is that the most basic and easy to use feature of any operating system is being misrepresented as "complicated" in attempt to dumb down users and push through the idea of shelves, collections or other crappy misrepresentations of "user friendly" organization system. Those systems in general require by far more work from users than folder organized library. But... in favor of Kindle collections- there are many a script to create them with one click out of your folder structure, which you can not do on Aura, also all shelves and collection organizations are single level, where folder structure can have as many as you like or need.
Unless we have electronic books all uniformly tagged with author, title, genre, series, number in series, and have our readers not only sort by those, but also display them as lists, so it is not the same 100 page list all the time, but list of clickable genres, or authors, or series... we do need file browser.
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #681
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I am confused here.

When you buy an item you should be aware of its functions before the purchase.

Any research on the Kobo would have shown no folder support.

Now lets say I buy a car; maybe I purchase a basic Toyota Corolla; gasoline powered and with a manual-transimission"/

Is it then rational for me to yell at the top of my lungs "I WANT TOYOTA TO CHANGE AND GIVE ME DIESEL POWER AND AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AS IT"S SO INEFFICIENT TO CHANGE GEARS HY HAND?"

I think the answer is NO and that you have to accept you have purchased the wrong device.
you don't understand at all. do you?

it's a software issue not a hardware issue so your analogy is disingenuous.

so the answer is yes i knew but WANT this function to be added.

they bring out software updates and this could easily be one of them instead of dumb things like putting the title on every page to howls of protest and which no one asked for.

i mean a cheap chines $5 mp3 player has folder support why are the kobo people so incompetent or such dunderheads.do they even use the devices themselves to see how bad the navigation is? i mean no back button.ridiculous.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #682
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
The new firmware 2.6.1 is supposed to address that, according to this post. I don't know where you live, but the update is either available for you or will be soon (I'm on the will-be-soon part of the world ).
I think I'm "will be soon". No sign of it yet, but looking forward to it coming!
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #683
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
I think I'm "will be soon". No sign of it yet, but looking forward to it coming!
nothing about a file browser in that link.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #684
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
Why would you expect that in a discussion of a battery issue?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #685
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Same here, no 2.6.1 on the Aura yet. Now, I am a believer of the serial number roll out

Quote:
That was a reply regarding the warning when the battery is getting low. And yes, that point expressed by several persons has been addressed with this new release. Nothing to do with the file browser!

Are you going to hijack every post to add a file browser request? Or were you genuinely thinking we were talking about that? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, but fool me once...
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #686
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Same here, no 2.6.1 on the Aura yet. Now, I am a believer of the serial number roll out

That was a reply regarding the warning when the battery is getting low. And yes, that point expressed by several persons has been addressed with this new release. Nothing to do with the file browser!

Are you going to hijack every post to add a file browser request? Or were you genuinely thinking we were talking about that? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, but fool me once...
Quote:
The new firmware 2.6.1 is supposed to address that, according to this post. I don't know where you live, but the update is either available for you or will be soon (I'm on the will-be-soon part of the world ).

that quote gives the impression that he was talking about a file browser.

i have no idea about batteries or issues regarding batteries.

it clearly says FIRMWARE THREAD.i just checked.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #687
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:

if i had wanted a computer with photoshop i would have researched it beforehand.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #688
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
A warning that the battery is getting low would be nice. And when it suddenly shuts off on you it would also be nice to have it REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE when you were shut down! Frustrating! I checked before I started reading a couple hours ago, it said I had 36%. I figured that would be good for hours, it's over a third of a full charge and I read a lot more than 9 hours or so on a charge. Nope. No warning, it just shut off while I was reading so I plugged it in and it rebooted...but took me back to chapter 35 where I was when I first started reading earlier. I had to go find where I was in chapter 52 on my own. This was on my Kobo Glo, I've apparently not run the battery low enough for that to happen on the Mini or Aura. Running the latest firmware 2.5.2 on all three.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i have no idea about batteries or issues regarding batteries.

it clearly says FIRMWARE THREAD.i just checked.
Well, I'm sorry vugtitan but I think you're making fun of me and I don't really see why.

The new firmware is supposed to have a better warning for low battery, because many people have been complaining about the fact that the device shut down out of the blue (since the warning wasn't clear, almost non-existent).
Selina4books was requesting this feature, so I provided her with a link which says that it was included in the last firmware. To avoid any misunderstanding, I quoted what I was replying to. What else can I do to make myself clear?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #689
robvarga
Connoisseur
robvarga began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
In order to page in a zoomed-in PDF, you have to scroll all the way to the left or right, and a bit further then you might expect. Doing so reveals the page turn zones for zoomed-in PDFs.
You misunderstand me. I don't want to scroll. I want to page while retaining the zoom level and don't want to have to scroll over empty space to be able to do it. Someone else apparently also wants this feature.

Last edited by robvarga; 06-14-2013 at 06:34 PM.
robvarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #690
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:

that quote gives the impression that he was talking about a file browser.
No, it doesn't. Read it in context, and the quote is clearly talking about the resolution of an issue with the reporting of low battery life.

Handy tip: If you click the little blue square next to "Originally Posted by username" - which says "View Post" if you move the pointer on top of it - it takes you to the post that the quote is from.

Had you done that, you would have seen the quote in that post where selina4books was talking about a battery problem. Don't take my word for it; try it yourself and see.

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo