Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
sk83
sk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it issk83 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
OK, so I just tested it. If you really, really want to "un-jailbreak" your Paperwhite (I explicitly do NOT RECOMMEND that), do this:
  1. Perform a factory reset (Settings -> Reset device)
  2. Re-install the official 5.3.1 update

Both of these steps are required, and must be performed in that order.

This method works regardless of which jailbreak you installed (NiLuJe's one for 5.2.0, or ixtab's one for 5.2.0/5.3.X), and will also remove the rescue pack and jailbreak bridge (if installed).

It might leave behind a few files on the diags partition (leftovers from the rescue pack, if it was installed), but that's irrelevant because that partition isn't accessible on a non-jailbroken Kindle anyway.
Thanks a lot! I´m giving away my old non-3G PW, and want it to be as "normal" as possible.
sk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #17
findle
findle began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Quote:
OK, so I just tested it. If you really, really want to "un-jailbreak" your Paperwhite, do this:

This method works regardless of which jailbreak you installed (NiLuJe's one for 5.2.0, or ixtab's one for 5.2.0/5.3.X), and will also remove the rescue pack and jailbreak bridge (if installed).

The net result is that your Kindle will be just like a factory-fresh device - all modifications will be removed.

The procedure might leave behind a few files on the diags partition (leftovers from the rescue pack, if it was installed), but that's irrelevant because that partition isn't accessible on a non-jailbroken Kindle anyway.
Does this method also remove Kindlet jailbreak and JBPatch or should I rather first use the provided uninstallers?
findle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
removes all known germs. dead.

Things intentionally shielded from it may survive
Do not take orally
Keep out of reach of children

Last edited by twobob; 02-04-2013 at 11:02 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by atleon View Post
Well, in my case I have an special offers kindle. I paid to unsubscribe special offers but my kindle kept showing the ads. I thought that maybe it was because of the jailbreak. That was the reason I tried to unjailbreak the kindle...
I had this problem too. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Andrew; turns out they had to turn Special Offers off, on, then off again at their end to fix it; it had nothing to do with the jailbreak.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #20
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by findle View Post
Does this method also remove Kindlet jailbreak and JBPatch or should I rather first use the provided uninstallers?
What made you think that the word all in the sentence "The net result is that your Kindle will be just like a factory-fresh device - all modifications will be removed." would not include JBPatch or Kindlet jailbreak?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #21
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I just wanted to confirm that if after the factory reset, you could directly apply a newer official firmware e.g. 5.3.3 (instead of 5.3.1) to still fully remove the jailbreak. Thank you, ~m

Quote:

mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimace View Post
I just wanted to confirm that if after the factory reset, you could directly apply a newer official firmware e.g. 5.3.3 (instead of 5.3.1) to still fully remove the jailbreak. Thank you, ~m
sorry, I don't think my question was clear: to uninstall jailbreak, after factory reset can you re-install any official firmware (e.g. 5.3.5 now), instead of 5.3.1?
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimace View Post
sorry, I don't think my question was clear: to uninstall jailbreak, after factory reset can you re-install any official firmware (e.g. 5.3.5 now), instead of 5.3.1?
Of course.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
Rd31
Rd31 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
If the jaibreak is removed can it be reapplied safely?
Rd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd31 View Post
If the jaibreak is removed can it be reapplied safely?
Depends on your firmware version when you try to apply the jailbreak.

See the paperwhite jailbreak thread title, it does not apply to all versions of the firmware.

Your best bet is, just leave the jailbreak in-place and update to whatever firmware version you want to use.

Take note in the jailbreak thread those actions which are recommended after doing such an update.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #26
axelPW2
axelPW2 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
OK, so I just tested it. If you really, really want to "un-jailbreak" your Paperwhite, do this:

The net result is that your Kindle will be just like a factory-fresh device - all modifications ever installed, including jailbreak and user-installed ones, will be removed.
Thank you ixtab for this very simple method. I guess that this was worked out in the time of PW1.

I have tested it on my recently bought PW2 and it worked only partially: i.e it looked like the factory reset ("Reset device") did the job, but after that the "Update your Kindle" line was greyed-out disregard which offifical update I was copying to the Kindle root. I have tried with both 5.4.2 and 5.4.3.1. It might probably work, but only with a newer update, whenever that will be released.

So, now I have a "nearly un-jailbroken" device. This doesn't bother me too much for the moment since I intend to jailbreak my PW2 again very soon. Trying to "un-jailbreak" your way was only an experiment and just wanted to report here for the owners of PW2.

Prior to this test I was running FW 5.4.3.1. jailbroken just one week ago with the latest files, also having installed the rescue pack, plus mkk and Kual with a few extensions Kindlets.

Last edited by axelPW2; 04-26-2014 at 05:29 AM.
axelPW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@axelPW2: cf. the threads about downgrading from FW >= 5.4.2.1, it's doable, just slightly different.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelPW2 View Post
Thank you ixtab for this very simple method.
I guess that this was worked out in the time of PW1.

I have tested it on my recently bought PW2 and it worked only partially:
- - - -
Note the prefix of this thread, and check the 5th. FGA at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083

Other hints available:
*) Post thread is older than the PW2 product.
*) Firmware versions mentioned.
*) Title of thread.

So, yeah, you can expect that this method applies to the original Paperwhite, not to the PW2.

Probably the best thing to do is to start a new thread on this topic (with PW2 prefix) and report on the method you found and tested on the new product.

Last edited by knc1; 04-26-2014 at 08:53 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #29
axelPW2
axelPW2 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Note the prefix of this thread, and check the 5th. FGA at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083

Other hints available:
*) Post thread is older than the PW2 product.
*) Firmware versions mentioned.
*) Title of thread.

So, yeah, you can expect that this method applies to the original Paperwhite, not to the PW2.

Probably the best thing to do is to start a new thread on this topic (with PW2 prefix) and report on the method you found and tested on the new product.
Thank you knc1 for the highlight that K5 applies only to PW1 and not to PW2. By reading various threads here I was left with the impression PW2 goes also in the K5 category; my mistake, sorry for that.

I must also confess that I did not notice that the threads referring to PW2 show as general rule the PW2 prefix in the title. May be only some of the new threads, but I wonder if this is going to be the norm from now on - rather difficult since some topics are covering several Kindle models.

As for opening a new thread on PW2, I would do that gladly if having a method that works for removing the jailbreak, which unfortunately I don't.

And now a principle question: a jailbroken PW2 with Kual and all the stuff on the home screen might be a good reason for refusing the warranty services?

Last edited by axelPW2; 04-27-2014 at 05:40 PM.
axelPW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Technically, it does, in the sense that it's also running FW 5.x. On the other hand, the hardware is significantly different, and that *sometimes* (depending on what exactly you do) warrant taking it as a special case .

In this specific case, since the issue stems from FW >= 5.4.2.1, and that has landed on the PW1 too, now, well, my previous answer is still the missing hint, everything else in this guide still applies once you overcome the downgrade/"samegrade" issue.

As for your other question: we've never had any complaints. Most likely they end up trashed or repurposed without even taking a look at the state of the SW.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote