Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
Mathlete
Enthusiast
Mathlete began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
What makes the jetbook so expensive?

As I understand it, the electronics for devices like the Kindle, Gen 3, and Sony 505 are pretty cheap compared to the expensive 6" Vizplex e-ink screens.

The jetbook has comparable electronics (no wireless capability though) and uses a greyscale 5" LCD display. How do they justify an official price of $300?

I'm aware that there is some deal out there where you can pay $200 for a limited time and you don't get to pick the color, but the point still stands that they want $300 from their website. They also want $50 for the only decent cover they sell, since you'll probably want to replace the button-snap pouch that comes with it.

Are they gouging or is the price justified for their display technology, given the competition?

Last edited by Mathlete; 05-02-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Mathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
There is usually a difference between MSRP and street price for most consumer electronics. The exception to this is for devices that are either new, limited supply, or some dealer has an exclusive.

MSRP for a jetBook is $299, but street price is $169 to $199. The only reason it is that high even is that eBook readers are still a relatively niche market overall. That's also, by the way, the reason eInk screens cost so much at the wholesale level.

This market is set to take off, and I think soon you'll see the price of all readers come down to be more in line with build price.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Although jetBook has an Official Price, I only paid $152.00 for mine (plus tax). The shipping was free. It was purchased from BBB and they gave me 20% from their list.

I took a chance, (and won!) since the BBBs in Arkansas do not actually carry the unit.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
The going price is really $169.99 (NewEgg) or $199.99 - 20% (BB&B). MSRP isn't reliable. Also, it's a "new" type of LCD screen that was developed by Toshiba fairly recently. Interesting to check out their (Toshiba's) website on screen tech.

I also expect that after importing the device from China (I assume) and rebranding it, Ectaco wants to make a profit on the foreign language dictionaries that they package on it and the custom firmware they program. If you visit Ectaco.com, you'll see they most of what they sell is actually electronic translators and language software (some of which comes in the jetBook box for PC, not that I've used it).
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Yes, I totally forgot the CD that came in the box. I'll have to dig it out some day and see if it is anything useful.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Just a guess... I think I read somewhere on MR that the e-ink screen runs about $90. If that's the case, I just consider my jetBook purchase compared to the competition (at the time) as such:

jetBook: $170 (NewEgg)
Sony PRS-505: $260 (various)

$90 difference!

BTW, not even Ectaco sells it for $300 straight on their site. They run various promotions such as discounted prices and extra accessories (earlight). In fact, "TODAY ONLY!" you can get it for $250 with the light. Or then there is their offer of "Don't want to pay $300? Name what you will pay and we'll consider it!" (Bid your price!)

IMO $199 is more reasonable, or with current 5" competition, $150-$175.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote