Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
jantzde
jantzde began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Children's Books Recomendation?

Okay I've had a request to put some children's books on my new reader.

So I figure I'll ask all of you what you might recommend. I thought I'd look for harry Potter, but not sure he really likes HP.

This would be for a little guy 8 years old.

Help, Please?

thanks

Debby
jantzde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
The Harry Potter books aren't available as ebooks legally, unfortunately.

I adored the Oz books when I was that age (and I still do, twenty years later!). They are all available for free here in the MobileRead library, and there are enough of them to keep him busy for a while.

You might want to check the Project Gutenberg Children's section for more ideas:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Catego...%27s_Bookshelf
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
It depends what he likes and how mature his reading is.

From the classics, I'd try stuff like:

Vern's Misterious Island (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=verne+island)

Robinson Crusoe (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...obinson+Crusoe)

Malot's Nobody's Boy (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=malot)

Twain's The Prince and the Pauper (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=prince+pauper) and, of course Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=finn+sawyer)

And of course, fairy tales like Grimm (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=grimm) and Andersen (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=andersen)

Last edited by Sonist; 04-15-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Some of the Grimm stories are a bit grim; e.g. the last paragraph of Rumpelstiltskin:

""Perhaps your name is Rumpelstiltskin?"

"The devil has told you that! the devil has told you that!" cried the
little man, and in his anger he plunged his right foot so deep into the
earth that his whole leg went in; and then in rage he pulled at his left
leg so hard with both hands that he tore himself in two."

E. Nesbit wrote some classics.

Last edited by Sparrow; 04-15-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantzde View Post
Okay I've had a request to put some children's books on my new reader.

So I figure I'll ask all of you what you might recommend. I thought I'd look for harry Potter, but not sure he really likes HP.

This would be for a little guy 8 years old.

Help, Please?

thanks

Debby

It can be Free epub children's picture books
http://www.snee.com/epubkidsbooks/
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Some of the Grimm stories are a bit grim; e.g. the last paragraph of Rumpelstiltskin:

""Perhaps your name is Rumpelstiltskin?"

"The devil has told you that! the devil has told you that!" cried the
little man, and in his anger he plunged his right foot so deep into the
earth that his whole leg went in; and then in rage he pulled at his left
leg so hard with both hands that he tore himself in two."

E. Nesbit wrote some classics.
Heh, have you never seen a cartoon (like Road Runner, where there is invariably plenty of serious bodily harm?)

And then some condemn the witchy Harry Potter characters as anti-Christian....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
When you're Dutch, I know a site where the complete Bob Evers series by Willy van der Heide can be downloaded (PDF mostly). I devouerd those when I was about ten years old. And they have a kind of cult-status in the Netherlands.
As far as I can find all the work is legal even when the author ' just' died in 1985.

Then again, if you aren't Dutch I wouldn't bother.

If someone is interested let me know and I'll post a link.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Heh, have you never seen a cartoon (like Road Runner, where there is invariably plenty of serious bodily harm?)
Yes, that's true.

Probably depends on the child, how they react to gruesome stuff.
Some will love it, but my imagination would have short-circuited.

I still remember some of the horrors I stumbled across in books when I was eight.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
My little reader is almost 7 years but reading ahead of the curve. He really likes the Star Wars story books. He also loves Captain Underpants and Frannie K. Stein. An 8yo may be beyond those. We tried the 1st Harry Potter book a while ago, we'll probably try again soon. I would bet that almost none of those are on ebook yet though. But, I don't let him use the Kindle on account of the numerous techie toys my kids have already broken. Sorry kids, this is Dad's toy!

Greg
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
I'd recommend Brian Jacques' Redwall novels !
Some are available at Fictionwise...

Last edited by Idoine; 04-15-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: A a in lieu of a e !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
jantzde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
When you're Dutch, I know a site where the complete Bob Evers series by Willy van der Heide can be downloaded (PDF mostly). I devouerd those when I was about ten years old. And they have a kind of cult-status in the Netherlands.
As far as I can find all the work is legal even when the author ' just' died in 1985.

Then again, if you aren't Dutch I wouldn't bother.

If someone is interested let me know and I'll post a link.

Hey I'm HALF Dutch. (truly)

Trouble is the non-Dutch half is dominant and so it'd have to be in English.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
jantzde

Thanks everyone!!

I'll check out the suggestions and the links and do a search onsite.

I thought it might be fun to have a few on my reader and let him operate it when we do our bedtime reading. The rest of the time it's MINE....MINE....ALL MINE!!

I'll go see what I can find and have it ready as a surpirse for him tonight.

Again....my thanks.

Debby
Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Book" and E.R. Burroughs for "Tarzan of the Apes". Howard Pyle's "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood" and "Men of Iron". Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "The White Company". Robert Louis Stevenson's "Kidnapped" and "The Black Arrow". Those should all be free.

I can't recommend enough the "Classics Illustrated" comics although that's not ebook stuff.

Back to ebooks - maybe now, but certainly when he's 10 or so, G.A. Henty's history-centric children's books, also free from Project Gutenberg and some are available here at Mobileread.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
jantzde

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Book" and E.R. Burroughs for "Tarzan of the Apes". Howard Pyle's "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood" and "Men of Iron". Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "The White Company". Robert Louis Stevenson's "Kidnapped" and "The Black Arrow". Those should all be free.

I can't recommend enough the "Classics Illustrated" comics although that's not ebook stuff.

Back to ebooks - maybe now, but certainly when he's 10 or so, G.A. Henty's history-centric children's books, also free from Project Gutenberg and some are available here at Mobileread.

Ooh....more good suggestions.

You know a lot of the books suggested I read as a kid myself, but when put on the spot.....I coudn't think of a one of 'em.

'Preciate the help from everyone here.

Debby

Last edited by jantzde; 04-17-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
I second the Jungle Book, the kids love that one.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote