Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
stevedaytona
stevedaytona began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Content Server & Nook Color

I posted this in the sticky but no response so I guess no one's reading that thread.

I have successfully run the content server and my Nook can see all my books, but when I hit the 'Get' button, the Nook simply displays 'Download Unsuccessful' (not a very helpful message for troubleshooting!).

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Or does Calibre not support Nook as regards the content server?
stevedaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the content server is just a standard http server. So the correct question to be asking is if the nook color supports downlaoding ebooks from http servers. And since I don;t have a nook color I really cant help with that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
stevedaytona

Thanks for replying. Yes, fair enough. Does anyone know whether the Nook Color supports downloading in this way? (surely it does?).
Old 12-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedaytona View Post
Does anyone know whether the Nook Color supports downloading in this way? (surely it does?).
I don't know the answer, but I smiled when I saw your "surely it does?" comment. The people who build and sell ebooks are not like Kovid and Calibre. They don't have the best interests of their users/customers in mind. In today's environment, the one thing you can be certain of is that it won't be supported if it makes it too easy to get books from a competitor. DRM, lack of format support, limited USB access etc. all are intentionally designed to make the device less useful so that the seller of the device can limit your options and make more money.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
stevedaytona

Ok, so I can be naive at times....lol

Do I take it that no one has successfully used the content server with Nook/Nook Color?
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
desk99
desk99 began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor, nook, htc evo, ipod touch
Calibre content server

First do you have an SD card installed. If not there is no way this will work.

If you do you may be able to download to it.

The second this is I have this working great with my nookcolor rooted. I used the opera web browser and can get content from anywhere so long as I have a wifi connection. However, I must save to the sd drive
desk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedaytona View Post
I have successfully run the content server and my Nook can see all my books, but when I hit the 'Get' button, the Nook simply displays 'Download Unsuccessful' (not a very helpful message for troubleshooting!).
I tried the content server today first time, successfully connected to it from a laptop, from a Samsung Galaxy tab (Android 2.2) and HTC EVO phone (Android 2.2). I was able to download a book on the laptop. Both Android devices showed my library very nicely, I was able to browse, search. But both devices gave the "Download unsuccessful" message when trying to get a book. I got the same message for pdf and epub books.

I have been able to download pdf files using the browser on the tab and EVO from other sites. But it didn't work today.

I may be wrong but I think Nook is running Android 2.1. Anybody using an Android device successful downloading from their content server?

David
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Quistopher
Enthusiast
Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor CM7 7.0.3
I setup the Cailbre server this morning and tried it with my Color Nook. Everything was on my internal network and I could connect without issue. I could see my see all of my content that is in my Calibre library. I pulled a new news source and downloaded it without issue but it saved it to this path, \My Files\My Downloads. For whatever reason, probably the OS, I can not open the epub file from the download file page but when I open the Library, click on My Files and navigate to the path above, I can open it.
Quistopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
jmattock
jmattock began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I just got a nookcolor and am having the same issue, download unsuccessful. I have been using the content server just fine for months and have regular pc-based browser able to download files just fine. This must be some type of block on the OS to keep from downloading.
Anyone know if this can be sidestepped without rooting the nook?
jmattock is offline   Reply With Quote