Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
snowcandy
snowcandy began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Kindle Voyage
The Sony PRS-505 does look awfully tempting...

Hi guys, I'm new around here so don't mind me if I sound silly. (: I have a little Astak Pocket Pro which I love to bits, but being a 5" screen is somewhat small in my opinion - especially since I tend to use my eReader more when I'm at home.

So I was wondering what are your opinions on the Sony PRS-505? Would it be similar to the Pocket Pro in terms of readability, just in a larger form? Also, what would be the best format to use on a 505 as my books are mostly in ePub formats.

Of course I do welcome other suggestions, my requirements for a eBook reader would be:
- 6"
- Displays ePub and PDF well
- Prefers small fonts (more words on a page as I like my reader to resemble a book as close as possible)
- Decent price
- Non touchscreen

Oh and since I'm residing in Australia, availability of the reader is an important deciding factor. I wouldn't want to fall in love with a reader only to find out that it's available only in the US. (:

Cheers.

Last edited by snowcandy; 11-06-2009 at 11:31 AM.
snowcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If your books are mainly in ePub format, I really would not buy a Sony. Its ADE implementation is old and limited in functionality.

You might wish to consider the Hanlin V3, aka "BeBook", aka lots of other things, including one sold in Australia whose name escapes me: "ECO Reader" - something like that, anyway?

It's basically a large-screen version of your Astak, and will support all the same formats that it does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
The 505 works fine for basic reading of ePubs. It is also a very well-built device. It does not do full justification, but if that doesn't bother you, it should be fine for reading ePub files.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I had both for a while. I am only reading mainly novels and am satisfy with ePub on both devices. In the end, I decided to keep the 505 mainly because of the screen size and the sony ebookstore. Im not sure if 505 can display more text per page or not but I find myself not hitting the page turning button as much as I did with the Pocket Pro. Another thing I like about the 505 is the page number and battery bar at the bottom of the page. However, I hate the sony interface and miss having the folder support on Astak. Unfortunately, I cant afford both so I made my decision to keep the 505. Good luck making your decision.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
The 505 works fine for basic reading of ePubs. It is also a very well-built device. It does not do full justification, but if that doesn't bother you, it should be fine for reading ePub files.
Plus, Sony's ePub implementation is one of the more stable ones for eink devices. Sure, the Opus will do full justification, but it locks up. Sure the BeBook does full justification, but it has no history. See, there is no perfect ADE. I'd rather have a stable ADE that does not do full justification then one that has other issues.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Hey Harry, now that I figured how to do it ADE isn't really needed for epubs. Or am I missing something? I am curious why the no touchscreen? I bought my wife a Sony 600 for Christmas and think it is really cool!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
coredump
Enthusiast
coredump began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I am kinda in the same boat than the original poster. I am almost deciding for a 505 for christmas.
Kindle is now open for international orders but while I really like the Amazon catalog, I hear that the PDF on kindle is not good, and I would prefer to transfer stuff via USB.
coredump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If your books are mainly in ePub format, I really would not buy a Sony. Its ADE implementation is old and limited in functionality.

You might wish to consider the Hanlin V3, aka "BeBook", aka lots of other things, including one sold in Australia whose name escapes me: "ECO Reader" - something like that, anyway?

It's basically a large-screen version of your Astak, and will support all the same formats that it does.
Harry,
I am really confused now. My brother bought a Sony PRS505 a couple of weeks ago. He has Sony Library installed and Adobe Digital Editions also. I advised him to purchase books in ePub format. Did I give him incorrect advice?.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Boy I hope not, that's how mine is set up! I haven't had any problems transferring epubs to the 505. Just guessing that you need the ADE software even if you use the Sony library to transfer?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
From what I've seen and from what I've read here, Snowcandy, I feel confident in recommending the PRS-505. My only early hiccup was fixed by getting myself a wall charger (essential!). Since then it's been a grand little work horse. Everything I'd hoped for since the idea of an ebook-dedicated reading device popped into my head fifteen years ago. I'd also recommend a swish easy i flip-top cover ... the 505 deserves that. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
coredump
Enthusiast
coredump began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Hmm. Are there good libraries with ebook formats? Like, Fictionwise is MOBI only afaik...

I keep reading that the 505 is nice but is the lack of MOBI hurt me anytime?
coredump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
Hey Harry, now that I figured how to do it ADE isn't really needed for epubs.
ADE is "Adobe Digital Editions". It is the software that's installed on the Sony Reader which allows it to read ePub and PDF-format books. Do not confuse it with the desktop ADE software which is what you use to buy DRM-protected ePub/PDF books.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
Harry,
I am really confused now. My brother bought a Sony PRS505 a couple of weeks ago. He has Sony Library installed and Adobe Digital Editions also. I advised him to purchase books in ePub format. Did I give him incorrect advice?.

Slan
Mag.
No; you gave him the correct advice; you should be buying ePub books for the Sony Reader. The point that I was making is that, unfortunately, the way the Sony handles ePub files is not terribly good compared to many other devices; the most obvious thing being that, as I'm sure you've noticed, all ePub books are displayed with a ragged right margin, rather than fully justified, as they would be on other devices.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-11-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Harry,

Thank you for that information. He only got the PRS505 about two weeks ago. I haven't seen it myself yet. He seems to be very pleased with it I'm not hearing any complaints at all. He'll just be happy to download and read his favourite authors. I saw the PRS300 and 600 in my local Sony store last week. I loved the 300 and with Christmas coming it's a real temptation.

Slan
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by coredump View Post
Hmm. Are there good libraries with ebook formats? Like, Fictionwise is MOBI only afaik...

I keep reading that the 505 is nice but is the lack of MOBI hurt me anytime?
Do you mean libraries or bookstores, as Fictionwise is certainly not Mobi only, but neither is it a library - See the wiki or my "Where to obtain eBooks for your Reader" post here.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote