Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
xtracto
xtracto began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 950
Unhappy html to Epub problem: PRS950 resets on 2nd page.

I have created a big HTML file from an onilne free book. I then used Calibre to convert the html file into an EPUB book to read in a Sony PRS950.

The epub reads well in calibre's ebook reader but the Sony reader resets (crashes) when trying to load the page after the cover (the cover is shown).

I have already tried to clean the Epub with Sigil by removing extra divs and also already passed the epub through epub-fix and ebook-convert with output-profile set to sony900 without success.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem with this epub?
xtracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Did you change the split points in the conversion settings from the default of 260K? Those settings are there for a reason - your reader has a lot less memory than your pc and can crash with large chapters. 260K is well tested and safe default. Changing it should only be used temporarily for purposes of conversion, not for final output.

If it's not that it's probably a problem with the ePub in general, try Flight Check on Sigil and see if it has any errors.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
By the way, the license says: “No Derivative Works — You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.” I wonder if converting this book to ePub (or any other format) would be qualified as ‘transform’ that is mentioned here. Or do they only mean changes in the text? Anybody knows?
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I am far from an expert on this, but to my knowledge, a transformative work is what you get when you take a pre-existing work and make it into something new. Fan fiction is an example of transformative work because it uses characters from a book or TV show and puts them into different settings and situations. Converting from one format to another is I believe called format shifting, and doesn't actually change the content of the file.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
but to my knowledge, a transformative work is what you get when you take a pre-existing work and make it into something new. Fan fiction is an example of transformative work because it uses characters from a book or TV show and puts them into different settings and situations. Converting from one format to another is I believe called format shifting, and doesn't actually change the content of the file.
Fan fiction is a derivative work. Derivative works may be given various additional labels, such as "transformative." That descriptive term is often used as part of a fair use analysis to identify works that are derivative works, but also have a great deal of additional independent creative content. A format shifted work is also a derivative work.

None of that tells you whether fan fiction or format shifting is copyright infringement. It may be fair use, it may be permitted by license or statute, etc.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Like I said, I'm far from an expert, just someone who has enjoyed many transformative works over the years. But I thought there was more difference between a derivative and a transformative work.

As for copyright infringement, I am definitely not a lawyer, and laws may be different from country to country, but isn't it generally recognized that format shifting (as for example, making a DVD copy for archival purposes) does not infringe copyright?

I personally believe that fanfiction is not copyright infringement. YMMV. Doesn't a work have to be competing with the original for it's intended market and profit to be infringing?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Like I said, I'm far from an expert, just someone who has enjoyed many transformative works over the years. But I thought there was more difference between a derivative and a transformative work.
Laws vary, but generally, DW is a very broad term and covers everything that derives from an earlier work, including transformative works and format shifted works, etc.

Quote:
isn't it generally recognized that format shifting (as for example, making a DVD copy for archival purposes) does not infringe copyright?
No. It's argued. Almost nothing in copyright is "generally recognized."

Quote:
I personally believe that fanfiction is not copyright infringement. YMMV.
I take no position on the subject. It's almost certainly a derivative work, but it may be a fair use.

Quote:
Doesn't a work have to be competing with the original for it's intended market and profit to be infringing?
That's one of many factors considered in a fair use analysis.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
citac
Fanatic

Thank you for the clarification! I was certain that there was a clear ruling for format shifting; I might have misread it then.

Quote:
I take no position on the subject. It's almost certainly a derivative work, but it may be a fair use.
From what I've seen in my own personal involvement with fandom, the views of TPTB vary greatly on whether it's fair use. Sme forbid it, others encourage it, or at the very least employ a DSDT policy. I certainly believe it is, but then I admit to not being objective about it.

Quote:
That's one of many factors considered in a fair use analysis.
There are many new films, shows and books I've come to enjoy and spend money on because of fan recommendation or fanfiction, so I would definitely say it's not competing but complementing the original market.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
There are many new films, shows and books I've come to enjoy and spend money on because of fan recommendation or fanfiction, so I would definitely say it's not competing but complementing the original market.
The fanfic area benefits from benign neglect from most authors. Some support it, others oppose it, but few want to spend time or money taking legal action against their fans. :-).

Tags
epub prs error