Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
taraboom11
taraboom11 began at the beginning.

Device: None
TOC Creation

Hello,

New at calibre and ebook conversions. Have been able to convert an HTML file (from .doc) to an Mobi format. Now stuck on TOC. Trying to create a table of contents where users can highlight and jump to the listed chapter. I read that I have to create jump links and an anchor. Codes not working. The TOC are listed on the ebook MObi format but no jump links.

Appreciate if anyone can help me with this pls. I would like to stick with calibre and Mobi format since already started it. Just need some clarification on creating the TOC. Using MAC.

Thanks for your help,
taraboom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
I think the easiest, quickest way to get that is by converting the mobi to epub and then using Sigil to set up the TOC. (In Sigil. Goto Tools -> TOC editor)

Works like a charm. Even after you convert the epub back to mobi, using calibre, you'll have a nice TOC, with the chapter markers that users can jump to with the 5-way controller.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Before you go down that route, you could try enabling Heuristics before converting your html file to mobi. Heuristics attempts to detect the chapters automatically.

In conjunction with heuristics you also need to change the chapter detection xpath under Structure Detection, set the xpath to '//h:h2'

You should also read this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119731

I explained there in more detail how this works, don't really feel like typing it out again.

Generally speaking you can get the TOC generated directly within Calibre during conversion. However if Heuristics doesn't work or you can't figure out Xpath, Piper's suggestion of fixing it using Sigil is your best option.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He can get calibre to detect chapters, ldolse, but what he's asking is how to get them encoded so they show as marks along the kindle progress bar, so users can jump through them with the 5-way controller.

AFAIK, there's no way to do that with calibre... is there?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
He can get calibre to detect chapters, ldolse, but what he's asking is how to get them encoded so they show as marks along the kindle progress bar, so users can jump through them with the 5-way controller.

AFAIK, there's no way to do that with calibre... is there?
I didn't get that out of the initial post, I see he has a TOC that appears in the Mobi, but not sure if Calibre created that or MS Word did....

I'm not sure about whether Calibre supports creating the 5 way controller integration directly - I would assume it can if the Sigil edited epub will have them once converted to Mobi using Calibre.

Someone just revived a thread discussing the whole topic in more detail here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43551
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre supports creating waypoints in MOBI files, but the input document has to satisfy some conditions for it to work, the most important being that the toc.ncx entries are sequential, i.e. they point to locations in the book that come one after the other.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I didn't get that out of the initial post, I see he has a TOC that appears in the Mobi, but not sure if Calibre created that or MS Word did....
You may well be right. I inferred it from his saying he had a TOC and wanted "jump links," but that's a jump of my own. He might have just meant clickable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I'm not sure about whether Calibre supports creating the 5 way controller integration directly - I would assume it can if the Sigil edited epub will have them once converted to Mobi using Calibre.

Someone just revived a thread discussing the whole topic in more detail here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43551
Thanks! I'll go look.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre supports creating waypoints in MOBI files, but the input document has to satisfy some conditions for it to work, the most important being that the toc.ncx entries are sequential, i.e. they point to locations in the book that come one after the other.
Thanks, Kovid.

It's crazy how attached I became to the whole chapter-jumping thing; I've edited perfectly fine books just to get them set up.
calibre always preserves them beautifully.