Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
mayamo
mayamo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
did I get someone's used Kobo???

I just got my kobo today and was so excited.
I was putting my old epub files to my kobo touch until I noticed something weird on Calibre.

It was saying that my device has a record of having bunch of books I did not buy/transfer and it is dated Aug. 31 and I bought the machine two days ago.

Did I get a refurb machine?? Was I scammed? (Note that I got this from an authorized dealer.. BB/FS/Staples)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	78804  
mayamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Those are the book samples included with the device. You'll find them under Library -> Previews.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Hate to spoil a good conspiracy theory but I think you will find that they are your previews. I have a similar list on both my Kobos.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
mayamo

oh thank god.

i was just super excited to get my new kobo and then when i saw these i was so disheartened =(
but now i know that it's not a refurb yey,.

Thank you! (now i'm embarrassed lol)
Old 11-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

FYI - I recommend that you upgrade your version of Calibre to the latest just so it plays nicely with your Kobo.

Happy reading!
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
mayamo

Please excuse me for my newb questions but I was wondering.
1. Do I have to keep wireless on airplane mode to avoid battery drain?
2. How do I know if my kobo's ghosting is abnormal ?
3. How do I set the page wipe interval?

Thank you.
I searched but I couldn't find answers to the above questions
Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well spotted Jed.
There have been a number of upgrades to Calibre to make it work with the Kobo Touch so I second the recommendation to upgrade.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamo View Post
Please excuse me for my newb questions but I was wondering.
1. Do I have to keep wireless on airplane mode to avoid battery drain?
2. How do I know if my kobo's ghosting is abnormal ?
3. How do I set the page wipe interval?

Thank you.
I searched but I couldn't find answers to the above questions
1. Turning off Wireless when not in use on any device helps reduce battery drain.
2. Due to e-ink being oil based, cooler temperatures may allow more ghosting to occur.
3. Open any ebook, select the wrench icon, Advanced Settings, and select your preferred screen refresh page under "PAGE REFRESH".

Last edited by Xennex1170; 11-09-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
HarleyB
Fanatic

I keep my wireless on airplane mode which supposedly saves the battery. As I rarely sync and always purchase books via my computer I have very little need for wifi so keeping it off is not an issue. If I wanted to sync then I might be tempted to leave it on.
Try it both ways and see what works for you.

I have no idea what is normal ghosting and what isn't. I suppose what matters is what level of ghosting you can cope with. I have my refresh rate set to 6 and don't have any ghosting issues at all.

I assume the page wipe interval is the page refresh (to reduce ghosting)?
If so then open a book and tap in the bottom centre of the page. Then tap on the little spanner which opens a dialogue box and select the Advanced Settings option.
In Advanced settings you can choose your page turning preference and the page refresh rate.
I think the Kobo default setting is 6 pages for a refresh. With a refresh the screen flashes black and then the new page appears. Some people find that distracting and so the option to do a partial refresh and only a full refresh was introduced. However this led to claims of ghosting.
I suggest you play with the settings to find what you prefer.

EDIT: Beaten again! I really need to either cut down my word count or learn to type faster!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure if the WiFI functionality is actively using power until you sync, or perhaps a daily silent phone-home for firmware updates. I leave mine on all the time and still get weeks out of my battery.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Wifi functionality is turned off automatically when not in use, turned back on when you request something that requires Wifi (and if you had wifi on before). All this happens in the background.

In other words, you ask for store (wifi turns on), you download a free book, you start reading it (wifi turns off), you close the book and go back to the store (wifi turns on).

Etc.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Wifi functionality is turned off automatically when not in use, turned back on when you request something that requires Wifi (and if you had wifi on before). All this happens in the background.

In other words, you ask for store (wifi turns on), you download a free book, you start reading it (wifi turns off), you close the book and go back to the store (wifi turns on).

Etc.
That's pretty smart.. If you happen to change locations (e.g. Home to work) while it is inactive, does it change to the proper hotspot definition in your WiFi list the next time it requires use of the WiFi?
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote