Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could say the same about Ferrari cars. The fact that many people consider them to be overpriced and a waste of money does not mean that there isn't a market for them at the price that they do sell for.
So you're likening low-grade hardware and software to a sports car. Nice.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thank you. I thought so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Repeating what I said in another thread: I think Kobo is not so much trying to offer a super-duper new reading device as to provide a device tied to their ecosystem for those who prefer eInk. Since they already offer free software for many smartphones, Bluetooth connectivity is not a bad way to go, and way cheaper to put in a device than wifi or 3G.

In other words, this is a device for those who will use the Kobo ecosystem, as the Kindle is the device for those using the Amazon ecosystem, and nook for those who use the B&N ecosystem.

I think Kobo plans to make their money selling books, not liseuses.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The coming of such a device, in the lowest tier of prices, might be the first spear broken in the direction you're pointing, LDoblo. I don't think the $50 dedicated eReader is too far away.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #20
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Since they already offer free software for many smartphones, Bluetooth connectivity is not a bad way to go, and way cheaper to put in a device than wifi or 3G.
Bluetooth is ok as far as transferring (free) between a smartphone and the reader. But it's no substitute for the convenience of 3G delivery or wifi. But, as you note, it's a lower cost option and ties their platforms together elegantly.

I'm still fussing over the lack of a dictionary. It's a very very nice feature to have. And I don't get why non-drm mobi is not supported.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #21
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Bluetooth is ok as far as transferring (free) between a smartphone and the reader. But it's no substitute for the convenience of 3G delivery or wifi. But, as you note, it's a lower cost option and ties their platforms together elegantly.
I wonder if you can sync your bookmarks? That is, read on your Koboreader, sync with your phone, and pick up on your phone where you left off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I'm still fussing over the lack of a dictionary. It's a very very nice feature to have. And I don't get why non-drm mobi is not supported.
Forgot to mention this: I would imagine non-drm Mobi is not supported because Kobo doesn't sell mobi, only ePub. I am curious if sideloading books purchased from other retailers is possible.

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 04-05-2010 at 12:23 PM.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
$149 is still about 3x higher than what this class of device should be fetching.
the lowest price 6" device with e-INK on the planet, and still too high for you by a factor of 3. Clearly you are not the target market.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I am curious if sideloading books purchased from other retailers is possible.
They've said it's compatible with any Adobe DRM'd book and any non-DRM'd ePub.

$150 is a low price, as low as the tech is right now, anyway. We'll probably someday get a $20 iPad, and that's what it will be worth as the tech gets better and cheaper. Apparently $150 is cost, as well.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #24
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
the lowest price 6" device with e-INK on the planet, and still too high for you by a factor of 3. Clearly you are not the target market.

Dale
Actually it's not the cheapest. Here we have another Netronix EB600 clone with a firmware only capable for PDF's selling for 80 euro:
http://www.zebook.com/librairie/ouvr...nky-par-zebook
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #25
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
This is not an EB600 but an EB100 (aka S3C2410@200Mhz + 64MB Flash + 16MB RAM) like the original Cybook Gen3 back in 2007
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Actually it's not the cheapest. Here we have another Netronix EB600 clone with a firmware only capable for PDF's selling for 80 euro:
http://www.zebook.com/librairie/ouvr...nky-par-zebook
I wonder it they dug those up in a warehouse somewhere. That particular one hasn't been made new for well over a year. However, I stand corrected. You can buy and obsolete one cheaper.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #27
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If anybody has any questions about the Kobo reader, I got a loaner unit today and have a week to play around with it before I have to send it back. The PR rep was very nice and will happily answer any questions.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #28
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
First question is ... can we meet for lunch so I can play with it too?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #29
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
LOL I only have it for a week. He told me I could do whatever I wanted with it except go on TV...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #30
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
How fast can we organise a Toronto meet-up? ...

I can be not busy some day...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote