Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
dataheadache
Bookworm
dataheadache began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505S
Sony Library Software and Vista 32-bit

Hello everyone - I'm new around here - and I'm hoping somebody can help.

First off, I have read all the other related threads regarding the problem I describe below and followed all the suggestions in those posts, but no luck. Perhaps somebody can point me to something I may have missed. I have a Sony Reader PRS-505.

I have installed Sony ebook Library on my Vista Ultimate 32-bit PC (from the CD-ROM), but cannot get it to run (it does list as running in Task Manager - but no graphical Windows for the program appear) I have added it to the DEP exclusion list - doesn't make a difference - I've changed the compatibility mode to Windows XP Service Pack 2 - still nothing. I have attempted to download the latest version from the Sony website - but as I live in the UK - the installer quits saying that the software is not for my region.

I would attempt to contact Sony UK support, but their website only advertises the Sony Reader, but does not have any support for it (or any links for support)

Does anybody have any further suggestions on how to get the display of the program working?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.
dataheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
dataheadache
Bookworm

...eBook library is now running, but now as soon it launches - it crashes.

"eBook Library has stopped working... ...Windows is checking for a solution to the problem"
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Are you running Norton Antivirus? I know some people were getting it blocked by that.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
dataheadache
Bookworm

No, all anti-virus (other than Windows built-in features) has been disabled.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

You might just want to download Calibre instead. There should be a UK support number though...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
It sounds like you need to contact Sony Support. I found the contact information on their website (www.sony.co.uk) under 'Support' -- you can email or phone them on 08705 111999.

Good luck!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Did you run the installer "as administrator"? If so, are you running the app "as administrator"?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you turn off UAC?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
Canyons_Addict
Canyons_Addict began at the beginning.

My wife bought me a 505 and I have exactly the same problem. Library software reports it installs on Vista but as soon as you try to open it, it crashes... I have successfully installed Adobe Digital Editions and used that to buy a book and put it on the Reader. As with dataheadache I am in the UK and if I download the latest version from Sony.com it reports that I am in the wrong region and refuses to install... So any other tips for 32 bit Vista (I have tried the manual install suggested for Vista64 and have the same problem)... Having gven up on my 1 year old Toshiba laptop running Vista, I am able to install on an old desktop running XP.
Canyons_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
You can change Vista's location information (instructions here), and see if the latest version allows you to install.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote