Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
matthews
matthews began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sony's eBook Library software

I've noticed that just directly copying RTFs and txt files onto my PRS-505 and through calibre that books take ages to load and change font sizes because of formatting. This doesn't happen at all if I copy them over using the eBook Library application. Are these files being formatting on the PC-end in Sony's app? If so, is there any way to replicate that in calibre?
matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Yes to the first, don't know to the second. I assume that when you Convert to LRF in Calibre, you are formattting the document.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I have also noticed that Sometimes in Calibre the hourglass just spins and spins never finishing the conversion.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews View Post
I've noticed that just directly copying RTFs and txt files onto my PRS-505 and through calibre that books take ages to load and change font sizes because of formatting. This doesn't happen at all if I copy them over using the eBook Library application. Are these files being formatting on the PC-end in Sony's app? If so, is there any way to replicate that in calibre?
Yes and no (per Kovid). It's may be called "formatting" but it is more like indexing. ebook software does it for you when you put the file on the sony... if it isn't already done then the reader does it the first time you open a book. But, after the first time it won't need to be done any more.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
matthews
matthews began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Well yeah but the "first time" on a book the length of say Atlas Shrugged or A Storm of Swords takes like two or three minutes, occurring again each of the first times you use the different text zooms.
matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert