Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
Steinhoff
Steinhoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1&2, Kobo Glo, Aura HD, Nook Glowlight
Paperwhite 2's E ink carta screen

The kindle PW2 in my opinion is a significant step up from last years model in terms of text quality and overall contrast. In the past I was very nit-picky about the ghosting and gradual degradation of the text's fidelity pertaining to the 1st gen, Fortunately this time my expectations were well met and even surpassed in many respects with this new model. But the QC.(you know what I'm talking about)

Last edited by Steinhoff; 10-26-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Steinhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle keyboard,kindle touch,PB touch lux
This model need buttons!!!! Setup on the bottom.
sbwtxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
duydangle
Connoisseur
duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW|PW3
I agree with you. There's no need to turn on "Page Refresh" because text with normal page transition is very crisp. The "Page Refresh" is only for anyone wants to get rid of small ghosts.
duydangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think the Carta screens are just a minor update and improvement over the Pearl screens. They did change the background tint to be more of a cream color and perhaps made it a bit more reflective. The rest is mostly marketing BS. But the huge improvement of the PW2 over the PW1 is the re-engineered light layer that doesn't show as many blobs of color and shadow because it distributes the light more evenly over the screen.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwtxj View Post

This year of 2005 we introduce a reader with buttons!!!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Lurtz
Lurtz began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3rd Gen
The new partial refresh of the fonts is my favorite feature as well
Lurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
duydangle
Connoisseur
duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW|PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think the Carta screens are just a minor update and improvement over the Pearl screens. They did change the background tint to be more of a cream color and perhaps made it a bit more reflective. The rest is mostly marketing BS. But the huge improvement of the PW2 over the PW1 is the re-engineered light layer that doesn't show as many blobs of color and shadow because it distributes the light more evenly over the screen.
I'm quite OCD with the text so fast page turning with nice text is a big improvement for me.
duydangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by duydangle View Post
I'm quite OCD with the text so fast page turning with nice text is a big improvement for me.
And that improvement is due more to FW than Carta.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The best improvement of the PW 2013 over the 2012 version is the bookmark use. On the PW 2012 I had to search for the old bookmark and erase it under Highlights and Marks. On the PW 2013 all the bookmarks can be accessed in the upper right corner and deleted right there.

Plus, the contrast is a lot sharper on the PW 2013 versus the PW 2012.

I've kept both units and will read on the PW 2012 when the PW 2013 is charging.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
I would be happy with even one button - for page ahead - that is all you use 99+% of the time. But I suppose it is also the first thing that will wear out and cause problems
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwtxj View Post
Buttons are obsolete. We need no buttons except to turn on/off the device. My 650 has too many buttons. And the page turn buttons I've only used to make sure they work. That means two or three presses at most. Touch is the way to go and the wave of the future. Say goodbye to buttons.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-29-2013 at 12:31 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
I like the PW2's faster page turns, bookmarking function, and the more even light. However, the inability to font hack and the fact that mine is not crisper or sharper or has more contrast than the PW1 makes the PW2 an upgrade I could have easily skipped.
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
jsolano32
jsolano32 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I just received my first PW2 yesterday. After reading on it for the past two days, I can't help noticing how text on my Paperwhite feels blurred. The edges seem too soft, and text overall isn't dark enough. It's a bit like an out-of-focus photocopy or really heavy anti-aliasing.

It's subtle, but it's been giving me eye-strain. Has anyone had a similar experience? I've read reviews that praise the screen for being crisp and clear, so I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way about the screen or if my eyes are just being extra sensitive.

Last edited by jsolano32; 10-29-2013 at 04:55 PM.
jsolano32 is offline   Reply With Quote