Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
blazm
blazm doesn't litterblazm doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Sony PRS-T1 possible HW issues (freezing dictionary after sleep, failed stabilityT)

My PRS-T1 has problems with freezing, mostly after I wake-up the device and try to use the dictionary.

Since I suspect this is a HW issue, I tried to diagnose the stability of the device using Android utilities. I installed StabilityTest 2.7 through the Market app. Tried with power-off/power-on, no Wi-Fi mode. The test (Classic Stability Test) failed after 1 minute and 13 seconds (5 successful runs with RAM, 0 with CPU). App froze, Home button worked, Settings|Shutdown worked... Tried for the second time ( 22 sec, 1 RAM, 0 CPU)

Can somebody try the StabilityTest on working device, please? If it works fine this could indicate we are dealing with the HW issues and devices need to be replaced...

Thanks!
blazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
It is a rooted device, correct?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it's rooted, then the only way to be sure what the problem might be is to remove the root and put it back to the default non-rooted status. The root or software could be causing the problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
That's what I was getting at in an offhanded way. People who complain about their devices not working, and don't tell us it is rooted, well, um, I have nothing good to say...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle PW2
Mine has the same problem and it is not rooted. If I try the dictionary a few more times, I'll get one of the following error messages

"Sorry! Activity Reader (in application Reader) is not responding." or

"Sorry! The application Reader has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Googling the top message will bring numerous results from Nook users.

I agree that it appears to be a hardware problem. Mine started just after the warrantee ended.
dedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedgod View Post
Mine has the same problem and it is not rooted. If I try the dictionary a few more times, I'll get one of the following error messages

I agree that it appears to be a hardware problem. Mine started just after the warrantee ended.
I sometimes get the "application reader has stopped unexpectedly" after I look up a word and am trying to exit the dictionary. Once this starts, it usually will keep happening until I reboot the T1. (mine is not rooted)
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedgod View Post

This is a common issue. Stop pressing things & give the reader time to respond. I find it usually happens when you keep touching things on the screen and/or buttons without giving the device time to respond. It crashes. Relax. Stop pressing things & let it respond to the first press before touching it a dozen more times.

That's not hardware. That would be software.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle PW2
I agree that the device should be given time to respond, however, when this is happening, the definition takes about a minute to pop up and it is usually garbled.

The first time a word is selected, the definition pops up instantly, this is normal. the next couple times it takes progressively longer until it messes up.

I would say it looks like software (in particular, a memory leak), but it does exactly the same thing after I recently updated the firmware.
dedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
The "stopped unexpectedly" is a common android message so I would suggest it is a sw problem rather than a hw problem.. I would suggest a regular soft reset or power off/on just to keep the os clean
bla is offline   Reply With Quote