Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
FREE [K] The Leopard Tree by Lisa Brochu, Tim Merriman

I did not see this one listed anywhere, but sounds like a good read...

The Leopard Tree [Kindle Edition] Lisa Brochu (Author), Tim Merriman (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Leopard-Tr...dp/B005A1GFLM/

Three orphans from Kenya stow away on an airplane to embark on a desperate quest to meet the Secretary General of the United Nations in New York City and deliver a message they hope will help millions of homeless and hurting children in Africa. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz becomes their guidebook as they journey alone across the United States. The trio--one with HIV, one blind amputee, and one who hasn't spoken for years after watching her family slaughtered--find themselves embroiled in a situation beyond their imaginations as they get close to meeting their goal.

The Leopard Tree won the Best Young Adult Fiction Award in 2008 with Writer's Digest International Self-published Competition and a Third Place EVVY in the Fiction Division of Colorado Independent Publisher's Awards in 2008. This book was written with the hope of raising awareness of the millions of people in Africa who suffer the effects of malnutrition,malaria, HIV/AIDS, and the unspeakable atrocities associated with armed conflicts.

Lisa Brochu and Tim Merriman have spent the last four decades helping people connect with our global natural and cultural heritage. This is their first work of adult fiction, but they have several other non-fiction books in print. Through their books and speaking engagements, they hope to help others to know more and do more about the daily challenges in meeting basic needs that face tens of millions of people in developing nations. When they are not traveling the globe, Tim and Lisa live in Fort Collins, Colorado, on a small farm where they raise much of their own food. They can be contacted by email at lbrochu57@gmail.com and timfmerriman@gmail.com.

Editorial Reviews
Review
The Leopard Tree brings to life, through Daudi, Masozi, and Ramla, the paradox of Africa. It is a continent where so many struggle with so little, and yet, so many live daily with tumaini (Swahili, translates to hope ). Merriman and Brochu capture the inherent hope and innocence of childhood while also issuing a call for action that makes us all want to join these three children in their quest. --Julie Cutler (consultant) email

Tim and Lisa congratulations on your book! I felt that you captured the heart of the African children who have aids and disabilities that limit their chance of a healthy survival. I say survival having worked with blind and disabled orphans in central Tanzania in a village called Wasa. After working with blind orphans on my second trip and witnessing such dire straits, I decided to return to Africa and construct a wing on an existing orphanage. Reading your book brought back many of the emotions that I felt when I was there. Bravo to you for raising awareness of the plight of the African youth while trying to instill a hope for humanity. Joe Wodiuk (contractor) The Leopard Tree grabbed every emotion I had and brought it to the surface. I couldn t put it down! This book allows one to question the fairness of this world and ask how one small person can help. Being a teacher and also visiting Africa myself, I am excited to present this book to my peers and classroom; for I know The Leopard Tree will be an excellent piece of literature that students and teachers can discuss. This book will be a springboard into broadening minds and opening hearts. Congratulations on a superb piece of work! Jill Wodiuk (teacher) --Joe and Jill Wodiuk email

This is a fantastic story. It drew me in immediately and painted a vivid picture of the plight of so many children in Africa. I found it tragic and inspiring at the same time. It was emotional, but also provided much food for thought. In short I loved reading it and think it's a story well worth telling. --Sheila Caputo (artist) letter

About the Author
Lisa Brochu and Tim Merriman have spent the last four decades helping people connect with our global natural and cultural heritage. Through their books and speaking engagements, they hope to help others to know more and do more about the daily challenges in meeting basic needs that face tens of millions of people in developing nations. When they are not traveling the globe, Tim and Lisa live in Fort Collins, Colorado, on a small farm where they raise much of their own food.

Last edited by dreams; 07-20-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: clean link
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote