Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free books (Kindle) 4 titles by Norman Spinrad [Science Fiction Award Nominee]

Well, apparently as a result of Amazon's KDP Select exclusive-or-else thing, 4 of multiple Hugo/Nebula award-nominee (and classic Star Trek episode author) Norman Spinrad's (Wikipedia, list of partial award noms w/links to free shorts, interview with him regarding attitude towards e-book pricing) titles are very temporarily freebied as part of that "5 days out of every 90" thing that authors get to do. I think I see the first actual potential upside to this otherwise problematic program.

I have no idea how long these have been freebied, but grab them quickly if you want them.

Actually, I'm going to selfishly suggest that you grab them anyway, even if you don't want them, on the off-chance that a big "sales" ranking boost up the freebie bestseller list will persuade Mr. Spinrad to freebie-ize some more of his backlist later. To that end, I have put in convenient linkage to every single Amazon Kindle store out there to better enable you, my prospective 1-click army.

I don't normally ask for favours in the Deals forum, but if you've ever wanted to express any form of non-karmic appreciation or thanks, then here and now would be the recommended time to do so (as long as the price reads $0.00 for your region and you don't have that $2 Whispernet surcharge even for the freebies).

Anyway, 1 novelette, 1 short story collection, 1 collection of essays he wrote for Asimov's SF magazine, and some sort of autobiography thingy, free for a limited time across the Kindle-verse.

Spinrad's been apparently pirating the pirate versions of his backlist from the darknet in order get e-books to put up and sell, so there's probably a Möbius loop of recursive irony in the typos that apparently still riddle these things. Just so you know.

Quarantine novelette @ main, UK, DE, FR, IT, ES.

QUARANTINE is a novelette of genetic engineering, pharmacological warfare against the Big Apple, genohacking, diarrhea, terrorism, and much more, none of which has anything to do with sex, X-rated or otherwise.

Nevertheless, despite this, despite being written by Norman Spinrad, who has published scores of short stories in everything from Playboy to New Worlds to Analog and dozens of other publications, this one is too hot to handle by any of them.
The author actually does understand why, and so will you if you plunk down $3.00, the cost of 2 crummy beers or one good on, to find out.

Revolutionary in more ways than one!

New Worlds Coming short story collection @ main, UK, DE, FR, IT, ES.

The first collection of Norman Spinrad's short stories in a decade and more, written after those in the collections THE LAST HURRAH OF THE GOLDEN HORDE, NO DIRECTION HOME, THE STAR SPANGLED FUTURE and OTHER AMERCAS.

An original ebook first edition!

A Critic At Large in the Multiverse essays from Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine @ main, UK, DE, FR, IT, ES.

"Science Fiction in the Real World" revisited: an original collection a new decade's worth of Norman Spinrad's critical essays in "Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine"

FIRST PUBLICATION IN ANY BOOK FORM!!

An Experiment in Autobiography just what it says in the title @ main, UK, DE, FR, IT, ES.

A experiment in writing a very different kind of autobiography, nothing like it every done before, as far as I know, in terms of form and style.

My (mostly creative) life from school through 2005--literary, musical, political--9/11 close-up, travels and adventures in Europe and Mexico, how I became a writer, etc. etc.

Incidentally, another major-award-winning sf/fantasy/etc. writer with store-offered freebies you might want to check out pour encourager les autres is Joe R. Lansdale, who has 4 short stories and a number of reasonably priced backlist novels which are still available via this thread.

And this appears to be my 3000th post. I'm thinking of adding another "zed" to my user title but maybe that would ruin the joke?
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Mexica - http://www.amazon.com/MEXICA-ebook/dp/B00480P3Z0

on PD short I see there, too:
Subjectivity - http://www.amazon.com/Subjectivity-ebook/dp/B004UJ22UI

Last edited by koland; 12-13-2011 at 01:15 PM.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sadly, neither available to Canadians (or outside the US, I'd wager), but thanks for the heads-up!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Actually, I'm going to selfishly suggest that you grab them anyway, even if you don't want them, on the off-chance that a big "sales" ranking boost up the freebie bestseller list will persuade Mr. Spinrad to freebie-ize some more of his backlist later. To that end, I have put in convenient linkage to every single Amazon Kindle store out there to better enable you, my prospective 1-click army.

I don't normally ask for favours in the Deals forum, but if you've ever wanted to express any form of non-karmic appreciation or thanks, then here and now would be the recommended time to do so (as long as the price reads $0.00 for your region and you don't have that $2 Whispernet surcharge even for the freebies).
I'm not very good at remembering to give karma/thanks in the Deals forum, so I just joined your little 1-click army .

Unknown author to me so not sure when/if ever I'll get around to reading them though...
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Those are some of the worst book covers I've ever seen, and the reviews about the books mention a lot of typos in the text. Still, free is free...I guess.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
I'm not very good at remembering to give karma/thanks in the Deals forum, so I just joined your little 1-click army .

Unknown author to me so not sure when/if ever I'll get around to reading them though...
To be honest, all of Spinrad's really good stuff was written well before I was born and for all I know he's succumbed to the Brain Eater like many other formerly-brilliant-ish sf/fantasy writers since then (and with a few exceptions, I myself really only middling-liked much of what I've read of his stuff).

But the important thing is that hopefully a well-established and reasonably respected prominent-in-his-severely-underrepresented-in-the-freebie-department-genre* award-nominated author with direct control of a big chunk of his desirable award-nominated backlist gets a nice visibility boost for his self-republished works, in addition to the take-home lesson that free promotions are a Very Good Idea and even temporary giveaways are appreciated.

And hey, maybe he'll even sign on for that heartwarming class about bargain pricing for the more obscure titles and no DRM in future releases and ditching the single-vendor exclusivity, too!

So with that in mind, to each and every one of the kind MR-goers who've contributed to the 192 page views for this thread (and hopefully were able to get this freebie deal in their region).

If nothing else, then at least the previously-printed essay and short-story collections should be worth a skim, for those who actually feel like reading the stuff they've been nice enough to 1-click.

* Seriously, I think we've maybe gotten a dozen sf/fantasy/non-PNR other-speculative freebies all year, whereas we get at least that amount every single month in the Christian fiction and erotic/paranormal romance offerings alone.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Sadly, neither available to Canadians (or outside the US, I'd wager), but thanks for the heads-up!
Not in Australia, anyway, so you are likely correct.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainbb View Post
Those are some of the worst book covers I've ever seen...
I thought you were exaggerating ... you weren't. Still, I grabbed two of the four.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Those are some of the worst book covers I've ever seen, and the reviews about the books mention a lot of typos in the text. Still, free is free...I guess.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes all the way to da bone.

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #10
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Not in Australia, anyway, so you are likely correct.
Worked fine for my Australian account. Also grabbed Osama the Gun which is also currently free.
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #11
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Funny you should mention that, I looked at the covers and description and decided not to bother downloading them. Covers played a big part in that I think.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's the link for Mexica, free in the U.S.A.:

http://www.amazon.com/MEXICA-ebook/d...3861828&sr=1-7

-- Just now noted that Koland mentioned this one first. Thanks, Koland.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-14-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #13
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozron View Post
Worked fine for my Australian account. Also grabbed Osama the Gun which is also currently free.
Mexica?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
As mentioned, many of these are horribly formatted. Two don't have a cover.

They are free, but one will have to judge for oneself whether or not to slog through these incredibly, ineptly formatted ebooks.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
...these incredibly, ineptly formatted ebooks.
agreed!

I downloaded the short story collection New Worlds Coming and while I haven't read it yet I can say it is truly a poorly assembled book; no cover, title in all caps, no ToC, no ticks for story/chapter navigation, no separate title page, no section breaks, ... . Its just one long block of text that at least is broken into separate paragraphs.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote