Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
glen
Edge User

lost journal?

My eDGe froze up today-not a big deal as I know (from MUCH experience) that electronics decide to freeze up from time to time. I was able to force a restart after removing the battery, and it started up fine.

However, a 8+ page journal that I'd been keeping notes on a potential research proposal won't open. This journal was open when it froze. All it will tell me is that it's unavailable.

Is there a way to "restore from backup"? Or is this journal now lost in electronic limbo?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

If you backed it up, either online or on a removable then yes you can restore it. However, I'm not sure how to restore an individual file, my backup file is one large .esi file on a thumb drive. The archived files - on entourage servers can be seen individually.

Last edited by cheyennedonna; 02-05-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
glen
Edge User

Is the file backup automatic? I've never did one, so unless it did it automatically, then I'm guessing it's lost.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Is the file backup automatic? I've never did one, so unless it did it automatically, then I'm guessing it's lost.
No, not automatic. Maybe tech can help you find it. For the future, when in the library you can choose to archive content on entourage's servers and in your app tray you have a backup tool. I put my backup on a thumb drive periodically.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

There's a small chance the actual file is still on your eDGe even if not listed in the Library. You can use the ES File Explorer app to navigate to /sdcard/.edge/.esi-content/ and look for all *.ESJ files. (Note that the file names will be gibberish.) Copy them to another directory outside the "library", e.g. /sdcard/document. Then use the Library/Storage app to open up the "Document" folder in "Internal Storage" and add each ESJ to the Library and open them. Most will be duplicates of your existing Journals, but perhaps one of them will be the one you lost. If you get a message about a corrupt file for one of the ESJ files, then PM me for further instructions.

Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
glen
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
There's a small chance the actual file is still on your eDGe even if not listed in the Library. You can use the ES File Explorer app to navigate to /sdcard/.edge/.esi-content/ and look for all *.ESJ files. (Note that the file names will be gibberish.) Copy them to another directory outside the "library", e.g. /sdcard/document. Then use the Library/Storage app to open up the "Document" folder in "Internal Storage" and add each ESJ to the Library and open them. Most will be duplicates of your existing Journals, but perhaps one of them will be the one you lost. If you get a message about a corrupt file for one of the ESJ files, then PM me for further instructions.
I actually did this, but sadly it looks like the file was wiped cleaned. The only "major" data I lost I was able to recreate, so all it took was a couple of hours of going through references that I had already annotated.

Also, as a side note for anyone looking for the physical library file, there's an alternate view in the bottom left hand corner that'll list the name of the journal in .edge/.esi-content so you don't have to "guess and check".