Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #151
Heifzilla
Kinzilla
Heifzilla began at the beginning.

Device: KK Wifi/PW Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
If I had a perfect PW, I'd be spending way more time reading it and way less time arguing with people about it online.
I am not arguing, jeeze. I guess I can't comment? Whatever.
Heifzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #152
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
If I had a perfect PW, I'd be spending way more time reading it and way less time arguing with people about it online.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #153
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I agree with Trauma Doll. Those of us who have had various replacements detect the same exact colors in the same exact spots.
But, I do not see them on my other Kindles or other devices, just the PW, and never when I look at the screen savers, only when the light is on. I think that's a point we have forgotten to make previously, yet, an important one to state in response to sugestions that the colors are an illusion on our part.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #154
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
I am not arguing, jeeze. I guess I can't comment? Whatever.
Of course you can. I've just spent a couple of weeks listening to people like sirmaru use this 'perception' verbiage, or outright tell us that we're all too picky/too demanding/too unrealistic/[unspoken: 'crazy'] when the freaking screens are PINK AND GREEN. I've always been a huge Amazon cheerleader and the amount of money I've given them over the years, both personally and professionally, is staggering. I'm not in this just to complain about some trivial issue online because I'm bored. I really wanted the item they advertised, and I keep hoping I'll eventually get one.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #155
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Well, I think it's like this.

That's it. I'm done. Time to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	venn-kindle.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	94192  
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #156
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

OK throwing my 2 cents in, and this is copied from my post on the Kindle boards.

Well, I'm going to go as far as to say that the Paperwhite is simply not even CLOSE to the device Amazon advertises.

First, the "print" on the Paperwhite doesn't even come close to that of the Kindle Touch. It's obvious there's a layer above the Paperwhite display for the capacitive touchscreen, and it simply fades the text and makes it look decidedly UN-book-like.

I took a few photos since pictures, in this case, can contain many words (literally, and figuratively).

You can clearly see that the Kindle Touch has the better book-like text. It's a night/day difference, and the Touch is much easier on the eyes.

Second, as both images show, the uniformity of the screen is a huge distraction. I'm not even talking about the ridiculous stage-lighting at the bottom. Look at the hues!

So while the lighting may not be even on the Kindle Touch, it was never even reading a REAL BOOK, so the "authenticity" is intact. With the Paperwhite, I'm oh-so acutely aware that I'm reading using technology that wasn't ready for release.

It will frustrate me when people inevitably reply, "I don't see any color casts on your screen. You're just crazy," but there's not much I can do about that I suppose. I say we should be holding Amazon to a higher standard, especially since they spent so many years "perfecting" this. THIS is the result of years of R&D? Someone should be fired.

These will be the first Kindles my wife and I have ever sent back (two replacements for the defective two had the same issue). I've owned every single Kindle release (and the Sony Reader PRS-500 before it), so I'm sad that this wasn't meant to be this time.

You'll note Amazon's "announcement" page here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...vglnk-c1533-20

Look at the dark-room pictures Amazon posted (where it's easiest to see the different hues). They cooled off the color temperature which has given the page a distinctive green look to hide the reddish hues that are doubtless present in the device in the photos. (In the daytime you don't notice the different hues as the ambient light overpowers the LEDs in the Paperwhites so there was no need to Photoshop those images).

Here's a 3-second modification to one of my photos that shows what Amazon did to hide the pink:

Original:

3-second modification to cool up the temperature of the image. It's not perfect, but you can see the pink is gone, and I think the pink is notably more offensive than the green, though neither are acceptable to me:

Looks strikingly similar to what Amazon has likely doctored, right? Their image isn't perfect either, but much less untoward with a color temperature modification:

^ ^ *Nobody's Paperwhite looks like that in the dark, because quite simply it appears to be doctored. Even with their doctoring you can tell the different casts of color in Amazon's images. It's impossible to hide completely.

Shame on Amazon. Shame.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #157
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

William, thanks for posting this. Did you leave two reviews on Amazon as well? Sadly, enough people seem to think that because there are more 5 stars reviews than 1 star, it proves how wrong all 1 star reviewers are.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #158
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

I could only leave one review on Amazon, where I gave the device 2 stars out of 5 (and only then because the touch screen is quite a bit better than the (ironically named) Kindle Touch faux-touch screen.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #159
WilliamG
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I agree with Trauma Doll. Those of us who have had various replacements detect the same exact colors in the same exact spots.
I disagree with this statement! I've had 4 Paperwhites, and all of them have had tinges of color in very different places.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #160
xendula
eBookworm

Double post

Last edited by xendula; 10-16-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #161
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I disagree with this statement! I've had 4 Paperwhites, and all of them have had tinges of color in very different places.
What I meant is that when MR users post pictures, those of us who can see the defects and have gotten replacements, see the same blotches in the same areas of the screens in the pictures. What baffles me is that other users do not see any coloration, so I was wondering if undiagnosed color blindness could be a possible cause for this.

And I agree with your comment. I have at this point had 6 units. One was dead out of the box, the first one had very very light coloration, but other issues, and the other 4 have all different blotches in different spots. I thought that I could start seeing a universal pattern of where what color is more likely to be, such as pink for the top right corner, but others did not confirm this, and the unit I received today is mostly green, with a pink center top.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #162
WilliamG
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
What I meant is that when MR users post pictures, those of us who can see the defects, see the same blotches in the same areas of the screens. What baffles me is that other users do not see any coloration, so I was wondering if undiagnosed color blindness could be a possible cause for this.

And I agree with your comment. I have at this point had 6 units. One was dead out of the box, the first one had very very light coloration, but other issues, and the other 4 have all different blotches in different spots. I thought that I could start seeing a universal pattern of where what color is more likely to be, such as pink for the top right corner, but others did not confirm this, and the unit I received today is mostly green, with a pink center top.
Oh I follow you now.

I think it's interesting that Amazon has addressed the spotlighting affect (oh it's normal, apparently):

First it says this:

Patented built-in light evenly illuminates the screen to provide the perfect reading experience in all lighting conditions

And then they say this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=B007OZNZG0

Under certain lighting conditions, the illumination at the bottom of the screen from the built-in light is not perfectly even. See examples of how the screen looks in different lighting conditions. These variations are normal and are located primarily in the margin where text is not present.

Which is it, Amazon? And what about addressing the color casts, huh, huh, huh?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #163
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Oh I follow you now.

I think it's interesting that Amazon has addressed the spotlighting affect (oh it's normal, apparently):

First it says this:

Patented built-in light evenly illuminates the screen to provide the perfect reading experience in all lighting conditions

And then they say this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=B007OZNZG0

Under certain lighting conditions, the illumination at the bottom of the screen from the built-in light is not perfectly even. See examples of how the screen looks in different lighting conditions. These variations are normal and are located primarily in the margin where text is not present.

Which is it, Amazon? And what about addressing the color casts, huh, huh, huh?
Yeah, it took them 2 weeks (?) to decide to post something to counter the negative reviews - there is another thread about it in this forum.

Their info does not address the defects stemming from thir manufacturing process or QC. But then again, what could they possibly say about it and not lose face? Instead, 5 star reviewers are attacking 1-3 star reviewers openly through the comments section - it's crazy out there!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #164
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I just wanted to show a relatively blank page.

After taking the pic, I saw that. It's not ghosting, it's part of the page.

Cranking up the light only makes it worse, but ok.

Here's 2nd try, by popular demand.
Wow That's horrible! I've seen alot better ones than that.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #165
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:

^ ^ *Nobody's Paperwhite looks like that in the dark, because quite simply it appears to be doctored. Even with their doctoring you can tell the different casts of color in Amazon's images. It's impossible to hide completely.

Shame on Amazon. Shame.
I'm sorry William, but that's EXACTLY how my Paperwhite looks in the dark, if I have the light level set that low.

I tried to get pictures, but my camera sucks.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote