Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
Color: Silver or Dark Blue

When I opened a thread just after buying my PRS 505, we discussed about the offered colors. Obviously it largely depends on one's taste and sometimes on its availability. Someone mentioned the contrast created by the color against the text background as well. However, I think there's another practical side. Let me explain!

Last week I was on holidays and I did a lot of reading on the beach and most of the time under the sun. And yesterday, when I was watching the Discovery Channel, they were experimenting with two different surfaces, one black and one white. They put them both under the sun with an initial temperature of 27C (80F) and pretty soon the difference was impressive with the black surface gone to 48C (118F). So, I think, the dark blue will get hotter under the sun...
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I apply a liberal amount of sunscreen to my blue 505 when spending a day in the sun
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I apply a liberal amount of sunscreen to my blue 505 when spending a day in the sun
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What works for me is a simple baseball cap. I just put the device (inside its Ziploc bag) into the hat and let the brim shade it. Works like a charm, and the print doesn't disappear in the sunshine either when it is shaded.

Where there's a will - and a beach - there is a way!

Last edited by DixieGal; 06-09-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Rats! I forgot to mention that to Alex T before he went on vacation.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
Last week I was on holidays and I did a lot of reading on the beach and most of the time under the sun. And yesterday, when I was watching the Discovery Channel, they were experimenting with two different surfaces, one black and one white. They put them both under the sun with an initial temperature of 27C (80F) and pretty soon the difference was impressive with the black surface gone to 48C (118F). So, I think, the dark blue will get hotter under the sun...
It depends far more on the reflectivity of the surface than its colour - matt surfaces absorb (and radiate) heat much more efficiently than shiny ones. Very few of us bother to paint our central-heating radiators black, and even if you did, it really wouldn't make that much difference to their efficiency.

Given that the Reader has a somewhat shiny metallic surface, it shouldn't have too much of a problem in sunlight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
yagiz
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very few of us bother to paint our central-heating radiators black, and even if you did, it really wouldn't make that much difference to their efficiency.
So you have central-heating radiators under the sunshine?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
yagiz

Quote:
Given that the Reader has a somewhat shiny metallic surface, it shouldn't have too much of a problem in sunlight.
I have a black car and my wife used to have a silver one. I can tell you that there was a difference...
Old 06-10-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's because silver is reflective. It has little to do with the "colour" of it, as such. A car with matt white paintwork will get just as hot as one with matt black paintwork. The reflectivity of the surface is a far more important factor in how much heat it absorbs than the colour.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:56 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
So you have central-heating radiators under the sunshine?
Matt surfaces are more efficient radiators and emitters of heat. A shiny silver radiator wouldn't work very well at all as a radiator of heat, and similarly a shiny silver surface is a very poor absorber of heat. This is elementary physics.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
yagiz

Quote:
This is elementary physics.
Hum! I would have thought that being "shiny" is elementary "optics" as it's the ability to reflect the light and that conducting heat would be elementary "chemistry"... (such as water conducts heat 20 times better than air)... Such or such paint may conduct the heat better but it doesn't make any sense to say "a color" is a better heat conductor...
Old 06-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hum! I would have thought that being "shiny" is elementary "optics" as it's the ability to reflect the light...
Note that optics, or rather "optical physics" in this case, is a branch of physics, so in this respect "elementary physics" is a quite reasonable phrase.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
That's the only reason why I preferred the silver one. In the end, I got the blue one anyway

But color sure makes a difference. Reflection can help, but only so much. The blue one will always get hotter. The silver one might increase sun glare in the same circumstances.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
My original was blue. I recently exchanged it because the battery was weak, and all they had was silver in the store. I want the blue one back. The silver does trick my brain into seeing a much darker background on the display.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
I bought a silver and my wife a blue. In the hot Florida sun after a few hours of poolside reading they both get _very_ toasty.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
My original was blue. I recently exchanged it because the battery was weak, and all they had was silver in the store. I want the blue one back. The silver does trick my brain into seeing a much darker background on the display.
You are very artistic. Why don't you paint it?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote