Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
ginakra
ginakra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Overdrive MP3/WMA Files on Kindle 2?

Hi all, I have not yet purchased an ebook reader, my first would most likely be a Kindle 2. I am trying to do as much research as I can on them. I've been unable to find an answer to one question.

My library offers audiobook downloads as Mobipocket, Overdrive mp3, Overdrive wma, and Abobe pdf. I found threads dealing with the mobipocket, but can't find much about the Overdrive files. Does the Kindle 2 support these? Do I need to do any special "fixing" as with the Mobipocket?

Oh, and I'm correct in my thinking that the pdf wouldn't be supported on the kindle or did that change for the kindle 2? I'm a big library audiobook fan, and support for these files is a pretty big deal for me. Currently, I've only utilized the cd versions because I don't have a player, and I was hoping I wouldn't need two seperate devices to read books and to also listen to my libraries offerings.

Thanks,
Gina
ginakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
WMA is out, unless you can find way to convert it.

Do the Overdrive MP3 have DRM? If not, then you can copy them to the Kindle's Music folder or Audible folder and they'll play just fine.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sometimes Overdrive wma library stuff will allow you to burn to CD (look at the individual book listing) which you can then rip to MP3 otherwise one of Daniusoft's music programs should work on it. I have no experience with OD MP3's, can you DRM an MP3?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You will find the most complete information about Overdrive mobipocket books in our visual Wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Visual_Kindle_Guide

PDF books from Overdrive can also be used on the Kindle if the DRM is first removed and the pdf is converted to mobipocket format. See Mobile Read thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...73&postcount=1
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
ginakra
ginakra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for yoyr replies! I believe, from the description on the library page, that the mp3 is not drm. So I would be okay there. The wma definitely is drm. I will look to see if the books can be burnt to cd. Thank you!

Thanks for the links, Leep. They look like they'll help me out!
ginakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
An alternative to burning the WMA files to CD (which is permitted for some but not all OverDrive audiobooks) is to use FairUse4WM to remove the DRM and then convert the files to MP3. I had to set up a VirtualBox with an older version of Windows Media Player installed to get this working. This is much faster than burning to disks which can be annoying when an audiobook consists of 10 CDs.

Another option is to burn to a virtual CD drive using software like Virtual CD. But that is very time consuming since you then need to rip the virtual CD back into MP3s.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
You can download Overdrive MP3 audiobooks to your Kindle, I've done it. You download it to your computer, then connect your Kindle and place the files in the Audible folder on your Kindle.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
dmeisner
dmeisner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Do MP3s still work on Kindles?

Sorry to be paranoid, but does this still work?

Your post is over a year old, and I'm curious if Overdrive may have added DRM since then (e.g., to lock the file after a 3-week library loan period is up).
dmeisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeisner View Post
Sorry to be paranoid, but does this still work?

Your post is over a year old, and I'm curious if Overdrive may have added DRM since then (e.g., to lock the file after a 3-week library loan period is up).
MP3s do not have DRM. You can see that when you encounter an extra screen for MP3s (as opposed to protected WMAs) during library checkout that makes you agree to obey the loan period. That's the best they can do, since there's no DRM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote