Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #121
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is the GD module that fails to read the file. Strange, since it shoud read jpeg without problems. I eliminated the message about undefined value. If i have the ~Cover01.jpg file I can try to see why it fails. But as you say, it is not a show stopper.
Here's an example attached. It's strange, gimp opens the file w/o problems.

Edit: I had to rename the attachment from ~Cover.jpg to Cover.gif before it would attach...
Attached Images

Last edited by JeffElkins; 01-07-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: attachment
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #122
Jiiri
Enthusiast
Jiiri has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
thanks, it's working - I have to wait for the windows version - not sure what to do with the .tar.
Jiiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #123
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Here's an example attached. It's strange, gimp opens the file w/o problems.

Edit: I had to rename the attachment from ~Cover.jpg to Cover.gif before it would attach...
I do not think the attachement worked. Which version of MobiPerl are you using. I seem to remember having problem with images looking like this but recently they seem to have worked. I assume that you do not want that image as cover anyway so it does not matter.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #124
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiri View Post
thanks, it's working - I have to wait for the windows version - not sure what to do with the .tar.
You have to install ActivePerl according to the the MobiPerl web page... I probably do a new Windows version in a couple of days.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #125
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
I do not think the attachement worked. Which version of MobiPerl are you using. I seem to remember having problem with images looking like this but recently they seem to have worked. I assume that you do not want that image as cover anyway so it does not matter.
I can access the attachment in the post above fine. It's just renamed Cover.gif from ~Cover.jpg. - The problem is that when Mobiperl hits one of these images it crashes and refuses to convert the book. I'm batch converting about 1000 .lit books and this problem hits just every so often. It does not occur when using convertlit to create an .oebzip file.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #126
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can access the attachment in the post above fine. It's just renamed Cover.gif from ~Cover.jpg. - The problem is that when Mobiperl hits one of these images it crashes and refuses to convert the book. I'm batch converting about 1000 .lit books and this problem hits just every so often. It does not occur when using convertlit to create an .oebzip file.
I think I have fixed so it does not crach and this fix is inlcuded in the latest tar version. It is not included in the latest Windows binary version.

When I clicked on the attachment nothing happened and when i looked at the icon it was a gif file so i assume that the icon is not the file. But I will try again...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #127
Jiiri
Enthusiast
Jiiri has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
tompe, the site is doing the same thing I mentioned earlier - looping me into the downloads folder. Thanks!

Jiiri
Jiiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #128
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiri View Post
tompe, the site is doing the same thing I mentioned earlier - looping me into the downloads folder. Thanks!
Sorry, fixed now. Obviously I did some mistake when editing the Makefile to fix this. Next time I do a new version I will check that it works...
Old 01-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #129
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
I think I have fixed so it does not crach and this fix is inlcuded in the latest tar version. It is not included in the latest Windows binary version.

When I clicked on the attachment nothing happened and when i looked at the icon it was a gif file so i assume that the icon is not the file. But I will try again...
I'll test the new version (.23?), and if you right click on the attachment you should be able to save it.

Thanks for your hard work!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #130
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'll test the new version (.23?), and if you right click on the attachment you should be able to save it.
There is a 0.0.24 also that will give some better information about files using mobi2mobi. I will do some more enhancements and probaly do a 0.0.25 with Windows binary maybe tomorrow.

I right clicked on the attachment and did save image but that gave me a gif file.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #131
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
There is a 0.0.24 also that will give some better information about files using mobi2mobi. I will do some more enhancements and probaly do a 0.0.25 with Windows binary maybe tomorrow.

I right clicked on the attachment and did save image but that gave me a gif file.
Yes. As I said, I was forced to rename the file from ~Cover01.jpg to Cover01.gif in order to upload it. Rename the downloaded file to ~Cover01.jpg.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #132
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes. As I said, I was forced to rename the file from ~Cover01.jpg to Cover01.gif in order to upload it. Rename the downloaded file to ~Cover01.jpg.
I meant that it is really a Gif file:
Code:
fossum:~> file Cover.jpg 
Cover.jpg: GIF image data, version 89a, 99 x 132
So I think I am saving the "icon" and not the uploaded image.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #133
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
I meant that it is really a Gif file:
Code:
fossum:~> file Cover.jpg 
Cover.jpg: GIF image data, version 89a, 99 x 132
So I think I am saving the "icon" and not the uploaded image.
Nope! I just checked the original "jpg" file and it reports as a GIF. Could that be the problem? A routine looking for a jpg then crashing when it encouters a gif?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #134
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nope! I just checked the original "jpg" file and it reports as a GIF. Could that be the problem? A routine looking for a jpg then crashing when it encouters a gif?
The filename should not matter. I just tested on a Linux machine and it did not seem to matter. The GD library should read both GIF and JPEG. Maybe the problem is that the ~ gets stripped or something. On what platform did you have the problem?

And you did not run conversions in parallell?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #135
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Version 0.0.25 with Windows Binaries

I did a version 0.0.25 with Windows binaries. I learned the zip files was easier to use than rar files so the Windows binaries are now packed in a zip file.

http://www.ida.liu.se/~tompe/mobiperl/

Changes in 0.0.25:
  • Added all language codes and added info about language in mobi2mobi
Changes in 0.0.24:
  • Added flag --boktype to mobi2mobi to change the booktype value. 2 = BOOK (default), 257 = NEWS (Wall Street Journal has this value)
  • Added flag --delexthtype that can be used to remove type mobi2mobi file.awz --outfile t.mobi --delexthtype cdetype
  • Fixed so that lit2mobi does not crach when failing to open an image file.
Changes in 0.0.23:
  • Item 401 in EXTH can be 1 or 4 butes according to examples (awz files). Removed assumption that it was 4 bytes to get mobi2mobi to work for an example file.

Tags
mobi2mobi, mobils