Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Wide margins

I've purchased or checked out four books, now, that have extra wide margins. It's like reading a newspaper column. They've all been crippled with DRM so I can't convert them with Calibre.

I don't like this.

It would be nice if Kobo could come up with some way to fix these margins without stripping DRM, which I can't do because I'm an idiot.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
This is my #1 feature request too. Some EPUBs have downright stupid margins.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I had the same issue with purchased ePUB's as well, both on my Kobo and Sony PRS-300.

Unfortunately the only way to fix the problem is to remove DRM infestation and adjust the margins using Calibre.

On a couple of occasions the issue was so bad, the margins took up most of the screen, leaving a small strip of text in the middle of the screen.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Seems that there might be more than one way to go. Most simple
to follow is to open the file and remove drm. Then to remove css.
Finally, to process through calibre, for new css.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Seems that there might be more than one way to go. Most simple
to follow is to open the file and remove drm. Then to remove css.
Finally, to process through calibre, for new css.
Just as removing the css was the workaround pre 1.4 for font resizing, it's an extremely suboptimal solution as well as tedious. Overriding margins within the kobo is a much better approach.
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Just as removing the css was the workaround pre 1.4 for font resizing, it's an extremely suboptimal solution as well as tedious. Overriding margins within the kobo is a much better approach.
Unfortunately I feel it will never happen. This issue isn't with Kobo specifically, it is to do with poor formatting of epubs in general. I have bought some epubs that are fantastic in formatting, but others are just dread (and they have been bought from Kobo, Borders, Readwithoutpaper....the list goes on).

Adobe either need to give the option of allowing ADE to adjust margins in the epub while reading (which wont happen), or remove those damn page numbers down the side and every epub publisher set the main body of the text to have 0 margins (which wont happen).

DRM-removal is all we can do.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have not had this problem on any of the books from Kobo (added in using ADE, not synced) since the upgrade to 1.4. I guess I have been lucky.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Unfortunately I feel it will never happen. This issue isn't with Kobo specifically, it is to do with poor formatting of epubs in general. I have bought some epubs that are fantastic in formatting, but others are just dread (and they have been bought from Kobo, Borders, Readwithoutpaper....the list goes on).
No, kobo could just as easily override EPUB margins as they did with font sizing in 1.4. Trivial mod.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Unfortunately licensing and publisher relations could make such a trivial mod somewhat less than trivial (see http://www.teleread.com/2010/06/17/k...ereads-joanna/ where they discuss the font-size issue).
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
Unfortunately licensing and publisher relations could make such a trivial mod somewhat less than trivial (see http://www.teleread.com/2010/06/17/k...ereads-joanna/ where they discuss the font-size issue).
Yup. Mike said the same here. Still, if it's overridden in the hardware and not a modification of the actual EPUB (which is what was done with font scaling), there shouldn't be any issues.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I hate those little numbers in the margin, too, now that you mention it.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote