Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

A week or so ago, I finished the book I was reading and went looking for the next one to read.

On the Amazon Kindle site, this book was very highly rated. Right now, I am about 40% through it, but it has gotten better and better with every page.

It is part murder mystery and part regular fiction. The author has done an admirable job of linking the characters' lives together so far.

I find myself both trying to solve the mystery and rooting for certain characters along the way.

Here's the shortcut to the Amazon page with the synopsis, reader reviews, etc.:
http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Dragon-Ta...2239920&sr=1-1
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I was thinking about checking that out. Is that your normal reading genre?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
bought the complete trilogy as well, haven't started reading yet though.

I liked the movies a lot, and from what ppl told me, the books are even way better

BTW, ppl tell me, never to see a film BEFORE reading the book - but i don't care. I was soooo disappointed by the movie The Perfume, that I immediately started reading the book (Patrick Süsskind) after that, and I can tell: I found the book brilliant!
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
People seem to either really love the Millenium trilogy, or really hate it.

I for one, loved it. I recommended it to my sister and she hated it.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
I've read the first one in the series and it's a good very recommendable book. But saying that, I really can't understand the hype around it. It's good, it's even very good, but two movies (the Hollywood version is being filmed right now)........ No, it isn't that good.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Mercury
Enthusiast
Mercury doesn't litterMercury doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505, iPad
I really enjoyed the trilogy, but would agree the hype is out of proportion.

I do think the story of the author has eclipsed the quality of the work, the books are good quality thrillers (much better than most American authors IMHO) but they're not GREAT books.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I liked all three books and the two movies (both Swedish) I've seen so far. But, I agree that it is way over-hyped. Plus don't see why Hollywood is making their own version
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
hrickh
Enthusiast
hrickh began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, EeePC 4G Surf
I finished "The Girl with the dragon Tattoo" a week ago. It was a good book.

I have to say, though, that I could really only sit and read about a chapter at a time. It was initially pretty hard to get into. It wasn't until about the 13-th-14th chapter that I really started to get into the story.

I'm now reading the second in the trilogy - "The Girl who Played with Fire", and it's much more interesting to me than the first, even only two chapters into it. That may be that I know the characters a bit, though.

BTW, I saw the Dragon Tattoo movie after finishing the book. The book is better than the movie. It goes into greater detail (of course). It'll be interesting to see how the Hollywood version of the movie comes out. I really would have preferred they picked Ewan McGregor instead of Daniel Craig as Blomkvist, though.

R.
==
hrickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Is it necessary to read them in order?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
People seem to either really love the Millenium trilogy, or really hate it.

I for one, loved it. I recommended it to my sister and she hated it.
Perhaps it's more complicated. I liked the story and plot enough to finish the first book, but the writing was bad - especially the dialogue was toe-curling. The journalist was too obviously a hero version of Larsson. A few, but large, chunks of info-dumps... I read it in a Danish translation from Swedish - don't know whether that might matter - perhaps the translation in English reads better. But even if I can understand the fascination, I don't understand the hype. It doesn't feel so much different from other (Scandinavian) crime fiction I've read..
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Is it necessary to read them in order?
I would.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I would.
You would, but we want to know, did you?
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
You would, but we want to know, did you?
I'm in the middle of doing so right now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #14
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
I only watched the film and I thought it was pretty good.

A lot of my colleagues who would otherwise turn their nose up at something like this seem to enjoy the fact that the books raise a lot of questions about the operation of power in relation to sexuality and morality.

I'm not convinced these questions are all that interesting but, again, I've only seen the film.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
What I liked about the film is that it was shot on the same locations most of the book took place on. Consequently, I could compare what my mental image of the various locations was with what they actually looked like on the screen.

I've been to Sweden a time or two but not to most the locations in the the book. Truth is, one of the reasons I went was to check out Malmo where the Inspector Wallander novels took place.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote