Notices

Old 08-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #16
harryo
Enthusiast
harryo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten TX / Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
I don't know if anybody mentioned if, but on MacOSX you can just open your PDF in preview.app, select an area on a page, see if the content-area on the other pages are complete and have preview crop all pages using the same stencil.
Then use "save as..." to save a cropped copy.
5 mouseclicks.

k2r
Just one more reason to love OS X. I only bought my first Mac about 18 months ago, but have become a serious fan. So nice to have both a beautiful interface and *nix underneath.

I'll definitely try this method. It would be a lot nicer than the trial and error I've been doing with my Ruby script up until now.
harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:31 PM   #17
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Just an additional idea: If the resulting pdf is too big you could define a custom colorsync filter that grayscales and compresses the images and changes the resolution. The force is strong with preview/colorsync.

Last edited by k2r; 08-15-2006 at 06:43 AM. Reason: typo
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2006, 07:12 AM   #18
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryo
Just one more reason to love OS X. I only bought my first Mac about 18 months ago, but have become a serious fan. So nice to have both a beautiful interface and *nix underneath.

I'll definitely try this method. It would be a lot nicer than the trial and error I've been doing with my Ruby script up until now.
Please do a "diff" afterwards so we all we know what lines are modifyed in this method. And compare sizes too.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:01 AM   #19
kusmi
Connoisseur
kusmi began at the beginning.

Mhh, it seems MacOSX alters the complete PDF, it adds something binary as well (beside the CropBox directive) into the cropped pdf...
kusmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #20
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
I don't know if anybody mentioned if, but on MacOSX you can just open your PDF in preview.app, select an area on a page, see if the content-area on the other pages are complete and have preview crop all pages using the same stencil.
Mac OS X Preview will also let you set and manage bookmarks in the PDF file.

I've been fooling around with this trying to see if I can get a spark or interest out of the iLiad.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2006, 04:56 AM   #21
kusmi
Connoisseur
kusmi began at the beginning.

What is also nice: Sometimes I have PDFs, where the text is in gray or light color, then you can use the ColorSync filters in Macosx to generate a profile to increase the contrast of the text.
kusmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:41 AM   #22
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
For those who are still stuck with cropping by editing the MediaBox: I found that pdftk repairs pdf files where the "xref table" is broken due to tampering with the MediaBox. Just do a "pdftk broken.pdf output good.pdf".
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #23
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
For those who are still stuck with cropping by editing the MediaBox: I found that pdftk repairs pdf files where the "xref table" is broken due to tampering with the MediaBox. Just do a "pdftk broken.pdf output good.pdf".
Nice to know.

[OT] »Brick (expensive kind)« gallows humour in it's best form. Best wishes, hope you out of this trouble fast!
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:36 AM   #24
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Well, I tried this; I didn't worked for me. Adobe Reader can't read this file anymore. Perhaps I did it the wrong way.
For instance it doesnt work with sed, because it wipes away the null characters or something so. It is a pity because

cat prueba.pdf | sed 's/MediaBox \[.*\]/MediaBox \[0 0 300 500\]/g' > prueba2b.pdf

sounds elegant. I wonder if there is some utility to transform binary pdf files to text and back.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #25
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
For instance it doesnt work with sed, because it wipes away the null characters or something so. It is a pity because

cat prueba.pdf | sed 's/MediaBox \[.*\]/MediaBox \[0 0 300 500\]/g' > prueba2b.pdf

sounds elegant. I wonder if there is some utility to transform binary pdf files to text and back.
Weird. The sed on my system has no problems with \0. perl might help:
Code:
perl -e 'while(<STDIN>){s/XXX/YYY/g;print;};'
is equivalent to sed s/XXX/YYY/g

Are you sure that sed is your problem? Are you aware that the regexp you posted is erraneous? It matches from the first "MediaBox [" to the last "]" in a line, which might be the whole file. (sed always chooses the longest possible match of a regexp) This is better:
Code:
sed 's/MediaBox *\[[^]]*\]/MediaBox [0 0 300 500]/g'
Finally all crashes of acroread after tampering with MediaBoxes could be traced back to a broken xref table, which can be reconstructed using pdftk (see earlier post).
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:10 AM   #26
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Maybe it is worth for you to have a look here. There you can download a pdftk plug-in for Vim [an "advanced text editor"].

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ linked page
Vim users can also install my plug-in for easily editing PDF code. When you open a PDF in Vim, the plug-in calls pdftk to uncompress the page streams, so they are editable. When you save the PDF, the plug-in uses pdftk to repair and re-compress the PDF.
This is quite handy!

You can find Vim versions for Windows, Linux, & Mac.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #27
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur
vstefanyuk began at the beginning.

PDFCropper

PDFCropper is the application, designed to solve the problem with preparing for reading normal sized (A4, B4, C4, letter etc.) pdf's on relative small (Sony Reader PRS500/PRS505, iRex Illiad etc.) devices.

The problem is that pdf is not reformat able by nature. Yes, there is reflow mode in Acrobat Reader, but at first Acrobat Reader is not available for most e-book readers (especially for e-ink devices),
and second even with reflow function reading of complex content (technical books, magazines etc.) is not comfortable. Bad formatted pdf's and wide white spaces make the situation even worse.

The only way how this problem can be solved (at least based on my experience) to cut original pages into smaller pages with removing white spaces.
This is exactly what program do. But comparing with similar software PDFCropper is much more flexible, that allows to prepare books with much better quality in a very short time.

PDFCropper can produce text and image pdf's.

PDFCropper web-site currently is under construction. But it is already available for downloading:

PDFCropper v1.1 RC1 links:

http://rapidshare.com/files/87491638...Setup.exe.html
or
http://www.filefactory.com/file/a07bc5/
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JI7CM0N4

Trial version of PDFCropper is fully functional, the only thing - output pages include watermark (which by the way displays registration code that you need for obtaining license).

And you can download and value an example of prepared (cropped) pdf:

This is original one - http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/d...ngspec-3.0.pdf

These are links to cropped one:

http://rapidshare.com/files/87301097...ation.pdf.html
or
http://www.filefactory.com/file/252400/
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8KW32DJT

And these are links to the one cropped as image pages (only some pages are there, due large file size):

http://rapidshare.com/files/87486857...rtly_.pdf.html
or
http://www.filefactory.com/file/d02ead/
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MJCYT8KH

Also, anyone interesting in software, can send me example pdf, and I will send back resulted pdf prepared via application.

License price per one computer is 20 euro. Payment can be made via PayPal or directly to bank account.

You can ask any questions about using or installing software and details about purchasing the license via e-mail:

vstefanyuk@gmail.com

P.S. Application is implemented by using Java. You have to have installed Java environment version 1.5 or higher.
Also Ghostscript has to be installed. In case if it is not, application will propose you to download.

Change log:
v1.1 RC1 - fixed the bug with adding table of contents (now appropriate menu item in Sony PRS 500/505 display table of contents correctly).
added separate option for adding clickable table of contents pages.
added displaying of table of contents in the left pane.
improved auto-framing functionality - added possiblty to create frames with size proportional to device size (paper size setting in Crop Settings dialog).
improved cropping funcionality - added possibility to remove empty frames in resulting pdf ("Skip empty frames" option in Crop dialog).
improved dialogs input errors displaying, errorness fields are highlighted by red.
fixed bug with deleting last unaccessible project reference from recent projects list.
added pdf restrictions checking during opening pdf. in case if there are no enough rights for pdf manipulating - program will ask pdf user password.
example pdf's are updated.
simplified trial mode - removed pages shuffling!

Last edited by vstefanyuk; 01-29-2008 at 05:11 AM.
vstefanyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:52 PM   #28
canicula
Enthusiast
canicula doesn't littercanicula doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r View Post
Then use "save as..." to save a cropped copy.
5 mouseclicks.
Has this changed in the leopard version of Preview? I can't see a way to crop multiple pages at the same time.

Ian
canicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #29
canicula
Enthusiast
canicula doesn't littercanicula doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by canicula View Post
Has this changed in the leopard version of Preview? I can't see a way to crop multiple pages at the same time.
Ignore that. It does work in Leopard. Use the select tool on one page, then select the other pages in the sidebar thumbnail views, then crop. That does them all. Cool.

Ian
canicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:39 PM   #30
PieterH
PieterH began at the beginning.

Device: Probably will be Cybook Gen3
I've been reading this site for some time and I've found a solution for expanding pdf's by "tiling". This allows one page to be expanded to two or more pages making a zoomed in version of a pdf.

This can be done with MindCad Tiler:
http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load-9560.html
http://www.mindcad.com/tiler.html
which is only for mac (sry)
or
Adobe Acrobat Professional

-in Tiler open your pdf, set page setup to print in landscape mode (on side) and save as pdf. You will need to repeat this for every page...

-in Adobe, select print; in the options screen that opens set page scaling to "tile all pages" then set zoom to 180% (fits one page onto two pages nicely) and then in output options select "save as file" pdf with pdf formatting

Both of these options produce neatly cut pages but the text recognition is damaged in some, not all, programs. Sometimes text can be cropped a bit but the remaining text looks fine.

I haven't tried this on a ebook reader yet as I am still undecided but this pdf size problem shouldn't be too bad of a turn off if you are into reading articles where pdf formatting is important.
PieterH is offline   Reply With Quote