Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Willard Price Adventure Series

Hi everyone, this is my first post, but I used this forum when I was deciding what device to buy so thanks

I used to be an avid reader of the Willard Price 'Adventure' books when I was a kid.
Many years ago, I scanned my favourite of the series, 'Diving Adventure' but I never got round to doing the rest of the series.

I was wondering if anyone else loves these books as much as I do and would like to collaborate?
Two problems that I have right now are that I haven't got a scanner and I'm having trouble finding OCR software for my OS (Ubuntu)

I have a DSLR camera,, so that could take the place of the scanner I guess, but it would be nice not to have to do it all myself!

If anyone's interested, I'll upload Diving Adventure and maybe we can get a project together?
jamesbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Williard Price died in 1983. His books come out of copyright in Canada in 2034

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbeat View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post, but I used this forum when I was deciding what device to buy so thanks

I used to be an avid reader of the Willard Price 'Adventure' books when I was a kid.
Many years ago, I scanned my favourite of the series, 'Diving Adventure' but I never got round to doing the rest of the series.

I was wondering if anyone else loves these books as much as I do and would like to collaborate?
Two problems that I have right now are that I haven't got a scanner and I'm having trouble finding OCR software for my OS (Ubuntu)

I have a DSLR camera,, so that could take the place of the scanner I guess, but it would be nice not to have to do it all myself!

If anyone's interested, I'll upload Diving Adventure and maybe we can get a project together?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Oh wow, I thought he died in the 50's for some reason.
That explains why I couldn't find them online then.
I guess my copy is for personal use only.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Investigating further (OK, reading his wikipedia article), it seems that the Adventure stories are now owned by Fleming Literary Management, or were at the end of 2006.

Since they paid a reported six figure sum for the rights, you'd think they were planning to do something with them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2...ce-estate.html

Although FLM seems to be still in business (from companies house info), they are overdue on filing accounts. They don't seem to have an active web site, and one of their co-founders is no longer with them (Simon Clegg)

http://www.abovethetitle.com/product/SIMON%20CLEGG/

So - definitely private use only. Did you know there were 14 in all, published from 1949 to 1980?

Quote:
Oh wow, I thought he died in the 50's for some reason.
That explains why I couldn't find them online then.
I guess my copy is for personal use only.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

Not only did I know that he wrote 14 of them, but I have two complete sets, one set from when I read them as a kid and a new set that I bought about 10 years ago because the old ones are falling apart

I don't know why I got the time of his death confused, I must have just had a brain fart

I have a great fondness for these books. They seem rather old fashioned and not politically correct, but they got me interested in natural history.

I wonder what would happen if/when the company that holds the right to them went bust? Would they then become public domain?

Maybe they could avoid such a catastrophe by scanning the books themselves and releasing them as ebooks?
I know I'd buy a set in a heartbeat, and I bet I'm not the only person that grew up on them and would love to see them released in electronic form.
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if/when the company that holds the right to them went bust? Would they then become public domain?
The copyright would be come part of the assets of the failed LLP that the official receiver would sell off to try to raise money for the creditors.

Quote:
Maybe they could avoid such a catastrophe by scanning the books themselves and releasing them as ebooks?
I know I'd buy a set in a heartbeat, and I bet I'm not the only person that grew up on them and would love to see them released in electronic form.
You could try contacting them and asking. You never know....
Old 06-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
StephenRay
StephenRay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello! I found this place while doing a search on "Willard Price." I read a few of his books when I was a boy. I didn't know there is 14 book in the series. My son is ten years old now and I want him to read these too. I just won "South Sea Adventure" on Ebay. It seems most of these books come from England and Austrailia.

I want to get some hard cover books of this Series.
Are these books on audio? Did you guys ever scan them? Thanks,
StephenRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

No luck I'm afraid, I can't find ebook versions of these books anywhere.
I guess we just have to wait and see what happens with the new copyright holders.

I have two full sets of these books, the ones I read as a kid, and a set I bought to replace them because they were falling to pieces from overuse.

Unfortunately both sets are around 34,000 miles away at my parents house in England, so I won't be scanning them in the immediate future.

I did consider buying a third set to scan, but the prices on ebay are ridiculous, and as you pointed out, they seem to be mostly in the UK, which defeats the purpose somewhat...
Old 08-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Unfortunately both sets are around 34,000 miles away at my parents house in England, so I won't be scanning them in the immediate future.
Are you in outer space? 34000 miles is almost 1.5 times around the world

Unfortunately for you, Mr. Price died in 1983, so his works are still copyrighted pretty much everywhere (in particular, in Canada and the US) and we cannot upload them here. You'd have to either scan them yourself (can you find them in a library?) or politely write the publisher asking them to release the books in electronic form.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
helen_1454
helen_1454 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Willard Price ebooks now available

Six of the Willard Price stories are now available as ebooks!

They come in three omnibus editions:
Amazon and South Sea Adventures

Underwater and Safari Adventures

Cannibal and Arctic Adventures (not yet available on Amazon but check back soon)
You can buy them now from Amazon US http://amzn.to/eYaS8W, Amazon UK http://amzn.to/dJvQIA or Waterstone's http://bit.ly/h8fUL4.

If all goes well with these ones there will be more to follow
helen_1454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

Oh wow!
How timely
Well, looks like I can save myself all the hard work, that's awesome!

Thanks for the links, are you involved in the publishing of these books?
I hope they are as successful as they deserve to be and this leads to all 14 being released.

I'll be buying them just as soon as I can figure out all the crap I have to install on my computer to download and read them
On principal, I have never purchased a DRMed book (or indeed any other DRM "protected" material) but I have to have these books.

Last edited by jamesbeat; 02-08-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
helen_1454

Glad that you're intersted in buying them - FourteenFiftyFour Ltd have published them, and we own the rights to the Willard Price literary estate (see www.fourteenfiftyfour.com for details). Enjoy!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

Will do!
Do you happen to know the release schedule for the rest of the books?
Also, do the books have the original illustrations in them?

I can't download them yet because I have to install windows just to get the adobe software
Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #14
helen_1454

I'm afraid we don't have a schedule for releasing the rest of the books digitally as yet. I will post on here when we do!

You would need to contact Random House about the original illustrations, as they published the latest paperback editions before we were involved in the Estate.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

Well here's hoping that all of them are released eventually, this is something I've been wanting ever since I got my first 386(!) computer.

I'm still having trouble buying them at the moment because I'm having to assemble a computer that I can use with my ancient copy of Windows XP.
The Waterstones DRM means that I can't use the book with Linux, so I'm having to cobble a machine together just to download the darn things.

The only other option is for me to install the Kindle app on my iphone and buy the books from Amazon, but I want to read them on my reader, not my phone.

I've even had to buy a network card, and now I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail before I can continue.

I swear that this is both the first and the last time I buy books with DRM.