Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
Kimble
Kimble began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle. Boox Leaf2
Copying CSS headers to following chapters in Sigil

Is there any way to automate the copying of altered CSS headers to subsequent chapters in Sigil?

This is the background to the question -

I am preparing a book of poetry in Sigil. It then goes to Calibre to convert to Mobi and is emailed to my Kindle to check appearance, formatting etc.

I started in Sigil with a single file of 36 poems, experimented with style sheet commands to get a format that looked good, and then separated the poems so they act as chapters to make the TOC work as simply as possible.

I then noticed that when the Kindle splits a long line it right justifies the first section, which creates large spaces between words and looks awkward and mis-matched to the rest of the poem.

So I went back into Sigil to add a text-align: left; command to the CSS for my p.poem style.

I sent the new mobi to the Kindle, no change in the longer lines. It took an hour or so of investigating how to get the Kindle to obey the command before I found I'd made a Sigil mistake.

My mistake was in thinking that putting the CSS command in the top file, what was once the only CSS sheet in the doc, it would be obeyed by subsequent chapters. Wrong. So I manually copied the command to every chapter's CSS. Success.

My question:
Is there any way to automate the copying of altered CSS headers to subsequent chapters in Sigil?
Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Your story is a classic story of why you want to have an external stylesheet instead of an internal stylesheet. If you have an external stylesheet and a reference to that stylesheet in each (x)html file, changes can be done in the stylesheet and effective in all files that reference to it.
So, your answer is to create an external stylesheet. Move the styles in it you apparently defined in your original HTML file and create a reference. Even creating the links can be done easily. Select in the Book Browser all the HTML files, right-click and appoint the stylesheet to the files.

After that a change in the stylesheet is effective in all files.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
Kimble
Kimble began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle. Boox Leaf2
Thanks, Toxaris.
I've chased up creating and linking stylesheets and got it all up and running.
Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
And you can even create several extenal sytlesheets as described above and apply them to selected chapters. This is useful if you are stuck with tables, say for the Table of Contents and for data. You may want to use small type in the tables, but not in the Table of Contents. You can have your TOC section refer to one stylesheet and the sections with data tables to another.

And if you tune up the one for data tables it applies to all of them, rather than changing all of them and making the inevitable typing mistake in the process.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
I am preparing a book of poetry in Sigil. It then goes to Calibre to convert to Mobi and is emailed to my Kindle to check appearance, formatting etc.
Why convert in Calibre? Kindle Previewer is the obvious tool for this job.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Why convert in Calibre? Kindle Previewer is the obvious tool for this job.
+1

I wouldn't use Calibre to convert to mobi....use the free - and approved/supported - Kindle Previewer.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote