Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #91
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
Hi Manolo and pkbo,

I was reading a regular .epub e-book with CoolReader. The e-book I was reading was stored in a sub directory on a memory card. I copied another .epub to the i62HD internal memory and CoolReader worked properly.

What I may try next is creating a "CR3" directory on the memory card and see if that helps.
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #92
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsavitz View Post
What I may try next is creating a "CR3" directory on the memory card and see if that helps.
It will not help. The path were history stored is hardcoded and it is in the internal memory. I tested with fb2 and position was saved ok. I'll try with epub but I doubt the format is the reason of the problem. We need to obtain the log file. I'll check how it could be done on onyx and will let you know
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #93
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunatelly the log file can be obtained using command line only. I.e. you would need to have ssh access and execute command:
cr3 --loglevel=TRACE --logfile=/media/sd/cr3.log /media/sd/path to your file/file.epub

or you can copy your epub file to the root of the SD card, rename it to the test.epub and run script. The cr3.log file will appear in the root of the SD card

Last edited by pkbo; 07-02-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #94
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
Unfortunatelly the log file can be obtained using command line only. I.e. you would need to have ssh access and execute command:
cr3 --loglevel=TRACE --logfile=/media/sd/cr3.log /media/sd/path to your file/file.epub

or you can copy your epub file to the root of the SD card, rename it to the test.epub and run script. The cr3.log file will appear in the root of the SD card
Hi Pkbo, why do I have to do this? Is there something that I can fix or is this a software bug that needs to be fixed?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #95
pkbo
Addict

Quote:
Hi Pkbo, why do I have to do this?
You don't have to.
Quote:
Is there something that I can fix or is this a software bug that needs to be fixed?
I don't know.
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #96
jbsavitz
Connoisseur

Quote:
It will not help. The path were history stored is hardcoded and it is in the internal memory. I tested with fb2 and position was saved ok. I'll try with epub but I doubt the format is the reason of the problem. We need to obtain the log file. I'll check how it could be done on onyx and will let you know
Hi Pkbo,

I just tried the experiment I mentioned above. I copied the complete cr3 subdirectory from the Onyx's internal memory to the MicroSDHC card and guess what? Cool Reader now works correctly and remembers what page it was on, stores bookmarks, citations and settings even after the program is exited.

Want to know what is really strange? It stores the bookmarks and other settings files in the bookmarks and cache subdirectories in the Onyx's internal memory. Go figure. Something is very strange with Cool Reader. Too bad they don't store this information on the removable memory card as it would facilitate moving e-books on memory cards between e-readers. I have both flavors of the Onyx i62, HD and HD ML and an M92, which I'm going to do some testing on next. I'd like to move the cards between all three e-readers.

Please share your observations/thoughts on this discovery.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #97
pkbo
Addict

I have nothing to add about why it did not work before you've copied cr3 directory to the SD card, I have no clue why did it help. About storage, some people do not use SD card at all. Feature you would like to have is sync between devices. It was planned by CR author but wasn't implemented, maybe sometime later it will be.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #98
jbsavitz
Connoisseur

Hi pkbo,

Let me provide a further update. I went ahead and tried my experiment on an .epub that I've been reading with the .pdf reader and for some reason CR doesn't work for this .epub. I think it may be related to using it with the .pdf reader first. The whole thing is sort of unusual. They either need to add the CR features to the .pdf reader or fix CR, whichever is easiest and will produce consistent results. It's kind of crazy.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #99
pkbo
Addict

Do you mean CR fails to open this .epub? Is it DRM free, can you share this file?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #100
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
Quote:
Do you mean CR fails to open this .epub? Is it DRM free, can you share this file?
Good remark pkobo
If it has DRM you can only open with pdfreader
Perhaps if is there any configure problem you can rename it?
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #101
jbsavitz
Connoisseur

Hi pkbo and Manolo,

The epub does not have drm so that's not an issue. I need to do some more trouble shooting to see if I can isolate the problem and see what causes it to happen. I also have different firmware on my M92 and I want to see how Cool Reader works there as well. I'll report results next week.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #102
Dalirose
Dalirose began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx i62HD Firefly
Quoting other users, in Coolreader I'd like to have the possibility to turn off hyphenation, just like I can do in Fbreader...

Last edited by Dalirose; 07-27-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Dalirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #103
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalirose View Post
Quoting other users, in Coolreader I'd like to have the possibility to turn off hyphenation, just like I can do in Fbreader...
I'd like to choose hyphen language and switch on/off. But ....
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 AM   #104
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
I have nothing to add about why it did not work before you've copied cr3 directory to the SD card, I have no clue why did it help. About storage, some people do not use SD card at all. Feature you would like to have is sync between devices. It was planned by CR author but wasn't implemented, maybe sometime later it will be.
Most common cause of that is file system is corrupted. In a normal linux you can manually unmount filesystem and do a fsck or restart and system repairs itself... However I do not know if it is enabled in Onyx devices...

Other thin is Onyx buggy firmware.

I did some changes in CoolReader time ago, but it won't worth because it won't be added to firmware. Basically CoolReader implementation in Boox is broken. There are a lot of things hardcoded to internal configuration files and there seems exists a not finished interface to integrate CR into Boox software as fbreader and internal viewer are.

It seems as if release time went off and nobody solved the issue anymore.

In other words, you can read here a own comment about firmware creation (It is in Spanish but you can translate into Engish with an online translator). Here: http://www.lectoreselectronicos.com/...l=1#post201481
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #105
pkbo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I did some changes in CoolReader time ago, but it won't worth because it won't be added to firmware.
I think you can create a pull request. lunohod was writing sometime ago that onyx devs accept pull requests. This way your changes at least will not be wasted.

I agree with you onyx firmware is buggy. Booxtor is jumping from feature to feature without completing any of them. And I believe it is not going to be better. Now they work on new models on Android, it is obvious that old ones will receive less attention. Unfortunately I have nothing constructive to propose

Tags
bugs, coolreader, fbreader, onyx boox, whislist