Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Hey, JCK will I be able to download the Kindle App onto the vox? If I can, I can read all my mobi books. I started out on a kindle a couple years back. but this Vox is making me change my mind!
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I'm not JC, but yes, you can download a kindle app on your vox.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
There was an update on the Vox review stating it was indeed raining, so they couldn't test outside, but the screen seemed to have less reflection than LCDs indoors.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
antiglare or not, it's still an LCD screen and will never compare to e-ink in its current form. Glare isn't the only thing that' s a problem using LCD outside, it's the fact that the light outside can over power the back lighting of an LCD screen, washing out visibility. Glare only adds to problem. IF they've been able to overcome this, I'll be highly impressed.
Out of curiosity, why can't LCD screens not have glare? My Dell 24" IPS monitor has a matte screen and NO GLARE AT ALL. Is it that matte screens can't be touchscreen? That seems odd, given that my Sony touch readers aren't glossy.

I just don't get why tablets all have to have a high glare glossy screen. Surely we have the technology to make a matte screen tablet?

At any rate, the main interest the Vox has for me is the screen. My eyes HATE glare and so far, there is no tablet I've found that they can be comfortable with. As for the Pulse feature that the review went on and on about, meh. Could care less. Glad to know it can be shut off. I hope the weather improves so they can tell us more about the screen.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #20
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Out of curiosity, why can't LCD screens not have glare? My Dell 24" IPS monitor has a matte screen and NO GLARE AT ALL. Is it that matte screens can't be touchscreen? That seems odd, given that my Sony touch readers aren't glossy.

I just don't get why tablets all have to have a high glare glossy screen. Surely we have the technology to make a matte screen tablet?
the short answer your monitor and e-ink screens are plastic screens, or at least plastic overlay that provides the anti glare properties, while tablets are all glass. If your monitor happens to be glass (which isn't very common, not even with the high end ones we have at the office), then because it isn't a capacitive touch screen, they probably can put something on it to reduce the glare.

If they used a different type of touch screen on tablets, could it reduce the glare? Possibly, but would it be as effective/sensitive? As we've seen with the kobo touch and others like it that use infra-red touch screen, it works well for it's application, but it's not as sensitive as a capacitive touchscreen, which requires an insulator such as glass (plastics could be use, but Glass is much better). To be totally honest, I don't know why they couldn't add a proper anti-glare to a glass screen, but I'd have to guess that it has to do with the properties of the capacitive screen, else someone probably would have done it by now.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #21
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
the short answer your monitor and e-ink screens are plastic screens, or at least plastic overlay that provides the anti glare properties, while tablets are all glass. If your monitor happens to be glass (which isn't very common, not even with the high end ones we have at the office), then because it isn't a capacitive touch screen, they probably can put something on it to reduce the glare.
DOH! You are right, my monitor is plastic! Of course, glass can be made in matte/non-glossy formats, e-ink proves that.

Quote:
If they used a different type of touch screen on tablets, could it reduce the glare? Possibly, but would it be as effective/sensitive? As we've seen with the kobo touch and others like it that use infra-red touch screen, it works well for it's application, but it's not as sensitive as a capacitive touchscreen, which requires an insulator such as glass (plastics could be use, but Glass is much better). To be totally honest, I don't know why they couldn't add a proper anti-glare to a glass screen, but I'd have to guess that it has to do with the properties of the capacitive screen, else someone probably would have done it by now.
Thanks for explaining, I'm seeing why it hasn't happened yet, though I personally could live with a less sensitive touchscreen if I could get no glare! Because otherwise, I simply can't use a tablet easily, it bothers my eyes too much. I've also noticed how many laptops have a gloss screen, and again, can't understand the reasoning. Those aren't touchscreen, so that excuse is lacking.

I'm really hoping the Vox is a screen improvement over most tablets. But I won't buy one until I can see in person, just because that's the only way for me to know if I can tolerate it.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #22
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Review on mashable. Not all that much new about the reader, but they sure seem to "get" Kobo's philosophy/POV. Nice pictures, too. http://mashable.com/2011/10/27/kobo-...allery_box2869
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #23
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Damn but kobo pulse sounds like it could be really cool. For some books I would love to have a built in reading group. After a particularly shocking or thought provoking scene.. Look up comments right then and there? It's made me dust off the Kobo app on my phone. Id been trying Bluefire to replace Stanza but Kobo's not bad and bluefire has weird quirks. Kobo doesn't give the option of Displaying time though.. Something I sorely miss from Stanza.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #24
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Damn but kobo pulse sounds like it could be really cool. For some books I would love to have a built in reading group. After a particularly shocking or thought provoking scene.. Look up comments right then and there? It's made me dust off the Kobo app on my phone. Id been trying Bluefire to replace Stanza but Kobo's not bad and bluefire has weird quirks. Kobo doesn't give the option of Displaying time though.. Something I sorely miss from Stanza.
OH, I know! I might even re-read some books I've read recently that I've been DYING to talk to people about, but nobody else I know has read! I am ready to do some PULSE-ING!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #25
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Very nice review. I'm definitely in lust.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #26
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
OH, I know! I might even re-read some books I've read recently that I've been DYING to talk to people about, but nobody else I know has read! I am ready to do some PULSE-ING!
Me too. I'm curious as to whether it will have to be a Kobo-bought book or whether the app can distinguish books, no matter where it originated, and pages and comments and such, as long as a Kobo app or device is used to read. It just has so much potential and really excites me. With some of my favorite books I spend a lot of time looking up forums (A song of ice and fire for example) and discussing reader reactions to stuff, or trying to analyze prophecies that come true in later books.. I guess the only bad part would be to get spoiled on accident, which would probably be easy to do.. but I'm still excited.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #27
novou
Pointed Pontification.
novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
DOH! You are right, my monitor is plastic! Of course, glass can be made in matte/non-glossy formats, e-ink proves that.

Thanks for explaining, I'm seeing why it hasn't happened yet, though I personally could live with a less sensitive touchscreen if I could get no glare! Because otherwise, I simply can't use a tablet easily, it bothers my eyes too much. I've also noticed how many laptops have a gloss screen, and again, can't understand the reasoning. Those aren't touchscreen, so that excuse is lacking.
E-ink isn't glass though.. it has a plastic surface. The Pearl spec sheet says it's 1.2mm thick.
As for laptop screens, the stupid glossiness is just a compulsion to make a device shiny for the showroom, even if it's heavier and less useful IRL.

PS: I'm sure the Vox is an interesting device, but I wouldn't trust goodereader's reviews since they sell the products they review. Their incentive is to cheer anything they sell.

Last edited by novou; 10-28-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: I'm waiting for someone with credibility.
novou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #28
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I guess the only bad part would be to get spoiled on accident, which would probably be easy to do.. but I'm still excited.
You should be able to prevent most spoilers. From the user guide "In Pulse, if you tap "no spoilers", all comments made further than your current position in your book will be hidden."
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #29
gabriel-knight
gabriel-knight has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
gabriel-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #30
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I'm not JC, but yes, you can download a kindle app on your vox.
That's it. I'm in.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote