Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your favorite stereotypical fantasy character?
Wizard/Wise old guy serving as mentor 9 23.68%
Grumpy warrior/fighter 6 15.79%
Teenage Princess 2 5.26%
Teenage boy of apparently humble birth 2 5.26%
Capable Captain or Mercenary 7 18.42%
Nerdy Cleric or Religious Devotee 1 2.63%
Amazon 1 2.63%
Other? 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #16
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Oh, this thread reminds me of Diana Wynne Jones' incredibly funny The Tough Guide to Fantasyland, a ruthless dissection of the generic quest fantasy.
I love that book

I voted for number 5, except I was thinking more in the way of female characters of that type, as per some of Mary Gentle's characters
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #17
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Other: The Mad Scientist - Very frumply dressed, usually quite old, usually forgetful/absent-minded, brilliant mind but socially akward, usually solitary, pictured as having glasses and crazy hair.

I like MS becaue they can be good or evil, male or female, human or other...it usually depends on the author and where s/he is going with the story.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #18
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How could I have forgotten mad scientist?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Here's a simultaneous sendup of Tolkien and Eddings:
"ANGLO-SAXON COSSACKS live in the Steppes and breed HORSES. They try to look like HORSES themselves by wearing their hair in ponytails. They ride often, expertly and acrobatically. In fact, they show off rather."
If I remember rightly (it was over 20 years ago), they feature in the Thomas Covenant Chronicles too, though Donaldson had a variation: the "anglo-saxon cossacks" never actually rode the super-sized horses?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #20
dcbcreative
Window shopper...
dcbcreative doesn't litterdcbcreative doesn't litter

Device: Interested in the iRex Digital Reader
Gosh... ...I voted for "Capable Captain or Mercenary" but has to say after reviewing other folks responses (That will teach me to be less poll impulsive in the future) that "mad scientist" or "tavern wenches" are easy favorites as well.

Actually they kind of all go together- Every good swashbuckler/captain/mercenary/privateer needs a competent "mad scientist" to supply him/her with their gadgets when not keeping the majestic airship aloft and what good is an adventure without a bawdy "tavern wench" with a heart of gold to keep the swashbuckler/captain/mercenary/privateer gallant in spite of themself.
dcbcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #21
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Air/sky pirate + mad scientist is a very good combo. Who else but a mad scientist can come up with the weaponry to blast air kraken out of the way?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I voted for other because I like some of the stereotypical characters Terry Pratchett uses in Discowrld and his take on them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #23
dcbcreative
Window shopper...
dcbcreative doesn't litterdcbcreative doesn't litter

Device: Interested in the iRex Digital Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I voted for other because I like some of the stereotypical characters Terry Pratchett uses in Discowrld and his take on them.
Oh, excellent point... ...Terry Pratchett creates or expands on stereotypical characters wonderfully.

Who doesn't have delusional aspirations of being Lord Havelock Vetinari some day (Just finished reading "Making Money" a week back)? Even if by nature they are more like Rincewind and are so lazy that their prime motivation for working out is so its easier to carry their own body weight.
dcbcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #24
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Can't believe you've omitted the classic most traditional arch type

Cavalier /Don Quijote Type: Bound by duty and honor to protect the poor and defenseless, to rescue fair maidens.

Anyhow that is how I cast my vote for, but the wise wizard is a close second.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #25
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wise old mentor, chose I did. My favorite, always he was. Wise old mentors you should underestimate not!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:07 AM   #26
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Wise old mentor, chose I did. My favorite, always he was. Wise old mentors you should underestimate not!
Bend over to feel the force, you must!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:55 AM   #27
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbcreative View Post
Oh, excellent point... ...Terry Pratchett creates or expands on stereotypical characters wonderfully.

Who doesn't have delusional aspirations of being Lord Havelock Vetinari some day (Just finished reading "Making Money" a week back)? Even if by nature they are more like Rincewind and are so lazy that their prime motivation for working out is so its easier to carry their own body weight.
I vote for the cynical 'I-am-not-a-hero' hero a la Sam Vimes? Maybe can be called the reluctant hero.
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #28
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I really like your summary of character stereotypes, Tracy. These rang loud and clear for me. I think their use or overuse may be a large part of the reason that most fantasy, and fiction in general, no longer appeal to me as much as they once did.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #29
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Bend over to feel the force, you must!
Not while standing behind me you are...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, fantasy, favorites