Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
akuerz75
Enthusiast
akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch, Motorola Xoom
Question Kobo Android app - Switch from single to side-by-side view

Hi all,

I just installed the Kobo app from the Android market on my new Xoom.
(Honeycomb 3.2)

After downloading all my library books I wanted to start reading.
Obviously is the App designed for phones and not for tabletts.

Does anybode know how I can adjust the view from a single side page to a side by side page as described on the Kobo webpage?

http://www.kobobooks.com/androidtablet

Or am I any setting missing?
akuerz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Do you have auto rotate on? I think it's in the settings in the Kobo app. I would have thought that it would rotate and split on its own.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
It rotates but doesn't split, if you have the android phone app. I expected it to auto-split on a larger screen like a tablet. Very disappointed if that's not the case...
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well on my phone the screen doesn't split when rotated but, but I just figured that was because the screen is smaller than a Tablet. Is anything in the Menu about views?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
akuerz75
Enthusiast
akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.

The settings are quite simple and I could not find any option to set the splitting.
Autorotate is on. I experimented also with fixed landscape setting.
-->

I really would prefer to read in the same style as Kobo describes it on their webpage.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired

That sucks. Maybe it's a bug with an update or something.

Last edited by The Terminator; 10-20-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
carynb
carynb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
It works fine on my Acer A500 Android tablet. To turn it on, go to Settings/Reading Settings/Reading/Landscape Layout. You can choose two-page or single page layout there. (You might have to be in an open book to do this - I think the settings menu is context-sensitive, and different if you're in your library)
carynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
akuerz75
Enthusiast

Quote:
Settings/Reading Settings/Reading/Landscape Layout. You can choose two-page or single page layout there.
Nope, you can not.
I do not have this option.
I can choose between Portrait, Landscape or automatic. But this all does not have any influence whether it is split or not.
I do not have the option to choose between single or double page layout

FYI I have taken a pic of the available settings

This might help also.
I am running Version 3.1.1211

Last edited by akuerz75; 10-19-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
carynb
carynb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Wow, that looks very different from my settings (Sorry, can't take a picture right now) ...I get a small white screen with three tabs (font style, display, and Reading) displayed on top of my open book. The Font Size is changed by a slider bar, even. And the only option on the "Reading" tab is the one-or-two page Landscape layout.

I think my Kobo App version is 2.7.614 (that's what my device administration screen says). The store actually says the current version is 3.1 though, and I could swear I did an upgrade last week. I can't imagine they would have gotten rid of that feature in the most recent upgrade - that makes no sense.

It does seem that what you have is more suited to phones, not tablets. That settings screen looks a lot more like one of my device admin/setting screens rather than the settings screen from within the Kobo app, but that may have to do with allowed differences between the two devices.

Sorry, I thought I could help, but I guess I can't. Like I said, it's working fine on my tablet.
carynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Just downloaded the app. I don't have the two-page landscape layout either on my Sony Tablet. Nor are there any settings to implement it. Version 3.1.1211. Seems like the app isn't recognizing some tablets as tablets. Hmmm. Honeycomb 3.2 if that matters.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The app doesn't seem optimized for tablets at all. Book covers are ridiculously small along with other stuff that shouldn't be.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
What version # of the app are you using?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
What version # of the app are you using?
If you're addressing me: Version 3.1.1211, OP is using the same version.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by carynb View Post
I can't imagine they would have gotten rid of that feature in the most recent upgrade - that makes no sense.
Of course it does. Sony does it on a regular basis.

There's a reason there's custom firmware available for nearly any device they've ever released...

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 10-19-2011 at 05:15 PM.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I opened a topic on getsatisfaction.com/kobo about this. http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/topi...p_does_it_work
taming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, app, honeycomb, kobo, tablet, xoom